Coming to MD on Orders, with guns, after Oct?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alderleet

Always, Sometimes.
    Sep 25, 2013
    AA
    Hey everybody, this probably isnt the best place to introduce myself, but I'm in a crunch.

I recently had a good friend move to MD, and he brought his guns, and got settled in a week or two ago. He lucked out, in that he made it to MD before the cutoff with all of his toys.

As of monday, I received a wonderful email telling me that I will be living in MD, in about a year.

I currently live out in the wild west.
    While living out here, I've amassed a fairly respectable armory, tax stamps included...

So, my question to your guys is this; What happens to people coming into the state after Oct 1, with their guns?

I registered some of my toys on Form 1's, as a individual, so leaving them with family is a No-Go (As per the ATF's arbitrary rules)

Am I boned? I dont think any of my guns have magazine capacities under 10 rounds.

I'm sorry to ask this when the clock is running down to zero. I figured if there was something I could do in the next few days to grandfather myself in at a later time, it would be smart to do so while I still have the chance. I'm not terribly up to date on the upcoming law, but my fragmented understanding is that it is a outright ban on assault weapons.

Thank you for any help. I greatly appreciate it.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Don't worry about it and bring them along. That is...if Obama does not cause the world to collapse before then.

NavyATFP

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 3, 2013
    Hyattsville
    The new laws give any new resident(post Oct 1) time to register the items that are banned( i think its 90 days after arriving) such as any AR/AK or copycats but your NFA items you needed the tax stamp for shouldnt be affected. The beauty of this is if your coming on military orders and do not establish residency(changing over your DL license and such) these rules may not apply to you but for that you will want to talk to legal representation to confirm as it does says residents in SB281. You also wont be required to get an HQL as you are active duty military. Just dont make the mistake I did and get out of the military and stay for a job, as good as the DC jobs are you dont have to live in MD or worse the District to take them. If you intend to do that establish residency in VA or West VA(Delaware and PA are also not as far as you would think for a commute).

Just my 2 centavos.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I recognize your name from the Files, welcome to the board. My suggestion would be to move to Virginia. Btw you can own magazines that hold more than 10 rounds(30, 40, drums etc). Just can't purchase, sell, trade, manufacture them in state, so you're good to bring them in even after 10/1.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    I agree with living in Va. They have special rules for military that is active and the rules should apply in Md too. You should not have to get the handgun license etc if you maintain your present state or "home state" tags and licenses.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Bring them with you. Send the proper forms to ATF to inform them where you will have the NFA items .

Keep your home of record and you should be fine. You will be here under military orders and do not need to become a Maryland resident.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Are you establishing legal residency in MD?

IANAL, but Ithink that you can leave NFA weapons at other than your residence, as long as other people are unable to access them. But you should double check that with an attorney who is familiar with the NFA laws.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Are you establishing legal residency in MD?

IANAL, but Ithink that you can leave NFA weapons at other than your residence, as long as other people are unable to access them. But you should double check that with an attorney who is familiar with the NFA laws.

IIRC you need to tell the ATF if you move your NFA items across state lines and such.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    Law only applies to weapons purchased after oct 1. Anything purchased before is good to go. Just need the registration.

Redcat

Curmudgeon
    Oct 4, 2008
    Severn, MD
    Military members don't typically become legal residents of the states they are stationed on unless the choose to do do. They remain residents of either the state they entered service from or if they legally change residency at a later date that state.
    This is why military folks often have out of state drivers licenses and Plates from their state of residence. Maryland (or any other state) can't require them to change unless they choose to become residents - it's not automatic.

I lived in Maryland for many years without being a "resident" until the day I retired from active duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom