• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigstacks

Feb 24, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Is this bill going in effect? What ever happend to the petitions and the other stuff that was going to post pone this. I thought i seen somewhere where they were trying to get the people to vote on it.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    It's going to go into effect. Assume that it's going to be law as planned, court challenges will fail, and SB281 will be the law of the land forever - "assume" because I'm sorry to say that it's the most likely outcome. If you don't believe me, ask some CA, MA, CT, NY, IL, HI, or NJ residents.

The petition never happened. Why? Because the powers that be in MD found a way to phrase a referendum question to make gerrymandering look like it was required by the Constitution. How do you think that a gun referendum would turn out?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    On October 1st it'll be the law of the land. The deadline for the referendum petition came and went. It's a good thing too a referendum vote in this state would have screwed us worse.
    I believe that a lawsuit will be coming shortly after Oct 1.

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    I could see a legal challenge to all or portions of SB281 as enacted and a possible stay on implementation until the case was heard. This would effectively delay the new Law for a time. Unfortunately, we will all have to wait until 1 Oct and see how things play out...

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    It's going into effect. If you don't have an AR yet, or even if you do, go get one or a stripped lower while you can. Go to a store that does a timely release of the regulated firearm after 8 days (or 2 weeks in some), instead of waiting for the MSP to return with a Not Disapproved (ND). Now you have to wait more than 4 months if you buy from a store that makes you wait for an ND. Avoid those. Ask before anything 'what's your release policy for regulated firearms?'.

We are close to 100,000 regulated firearm sales this year. Let's each do our part to achieve that mark. Go shopping. (Disclosure: I'm not an FFL or gun store clerk, just a big 2nd amendment supporter)

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    It's going into effect. If you don't have an AR yet, or even if you do, go get one or a stripped lower while you can. Go to a store that does a timely release of the regulated firearm after 8 days (or 2 weeks in some), instead of waiting for the MSP to return with a Not Disapproved (ND). Now you have to wait more than 4 months if you buy from a store that makes you wait for an ND. Avoid those. Ask before anything 'what's your release policy for regulated firearms?'.

We are close to 100,000 regulated firearm sales this year. Let's each do our part to achieve that mark. Go shopping. (Disclosure: I'm not an FFL or gun store clerk, just a big 2nd amendment supporter)
    I approve of this post. :thumbsup:

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    It is safe to assume that this law will be in place for a long time. Even if there is a lawsuit, it will lose at the state level and then have to move up the chain until it gets to the Supreme Court. We already know we are going to lose at the state level and most likely lose at the District level as well. And it really is 50-50 if we have any chance with the SCOTUS.

What we really need to worry about is next year when more laws get made. I could see this getting way worse in terms of magazine and assault weapon confiscations.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It is safe to assume that this law will be in place for a long time. Even if there is a lawsuit, it will lose at the state level and then have to move up the chain until it gets to the Supreme Court. We already know we are going to lose at the state level and most likely lose at the District level as well. And it really is 50-50 if we have any chance with the SCOTUS.

What we really need to worry about is next year when more laws get made. I could see this getting way worse in terms of magazine and assault weapon confiscations.

Any lawsuit will start at the Federal level, not the state level. As for how active the law is, that depends on if there is an injunction while the suit is heard. If there is an injunction, then it is business as usual with regards to the parts of the law that have had injunctive relief.

I don't confiscation coming yet, I don't think even the idiots that pushed this through are that stupid and here is why. Up until O'malley and the party leadership had a "come to jesus" meeting and threatened committee appointments and district funding, there were quite a few dems that would have crossed the isle on this bill and voted against it. Many stated how ugly this bill was from day one to day 90.

What needs to happen going forward is for everyone to contact and stay in contact with their elected official, regardless of if you think it will do any good. My district (21) had a grand total of 200+ distinct contacts with regards to SB281, the majority (105+) where against the bill and thus my elected officials did their job and represented what the majority of their district wanted. Had more 2A folks gotten off of their dead ass in district 21 and called, written, e-mailed, or faxed, we might have been the majority and our elected representative would have had a small leg to stand on and say "I can't, the majority want me to vote against the bill." The alternative would be to return to the district and state why they went against what the majority of their constituents wanted.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but we need to stay engaged with our elected officials today, tomorrow, next week, next month, not just during the General Session from January to April.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    On October 1st it'll be the law of the land. The deadline for the referendum petition came and went. It's a good thing too a referendum vote in this state would have screwed us worse.
    I believe that a lawsuit will be coming shortly after Oct 1.

How do you figure? You can still challenge the constitutionality of a law even if it get's passed by referendum. IMO no referendum was a mistake. I think the anti 2A's herded the flock on that one.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    How do you figure? You can still challenge the constitutionality of a law even if it get's passed by referendum. IMO no referendum was a mistake. I think the anti 2A's herded the flock on that one.

So you wanted to put a civil right up to a popular vote of the general MD population, with the State of MD (MD AG) writing the question?

No, I don't think so.

Or did you just want to do it just to extend the buying period for everyone?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

So you wanted to put a civil right up to a popular vote of the general MD population, with the State of MD (MD AG) writing the question?

No, I don't think so.

Or did you just want to do it just to extend the buying period for everyone?

In my opinion this would have been the only positive outcome of a referendum. A temporary reprieve is all we would have gotten. Then it would have passed and been "the will of the people" Our wonderful roster board is the result of a referendum.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In my opinion this would have been the only positive outcome of a referendum. A temporary reprieve is all we would have gotten. Then it would have passed and been "the will of the people" Our wonderful roster board is the result of a referendum.

And for those that only wanted a temporary reprieve, that is not a reason to go to referendum. You go to referendum if you believe you have a chance to over turn the issue. You don't go to referendum, to buy time to buy more firearms.

capinyoass

Apr 19, 2013
    What was there to loose? The law still lends it's self to challenge even if it was passed through referendum. IMO it was real bad advice, not the kind of advice I would have expected from PRO 2A's, nothing but a whole lot of pessimistic what if's. What if it had been voted down on referendum? IMO people followed the bad advice like sheep.

The guys who did not go forward with the petition admitted defeat before they even tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom