• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use lizard liner to clean brass, then use Hornady One shot to lube for resizing. After that, toss back in tumbler to remove lube and the One shot acts as a polisher as it's removed. And definitely use cut up used dryer sheets in the tumbler.

^^^this

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use lizard liner to clean brass, then use Hornady One shot STUCK to lube for resizing. After that, toss back in tumbler to remove lube and the One shot acts as a polisher as it's removed. And definitely use cut up used dryer sheets in the tumbler.

FTFY

I have seen MANY reports of people sticking cases in dies with One Stuck.

I use Dillon lube, or make my own, which is lanolin in alcohol. I have not stuck a case in 10s of thousands of rounds reloaded.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    I’m new to this and I’ve just ran my 1st batch of .45 through the Lyman 1200 with the red tuffnut. What’s the best way to get all the red dust off. The Lyman came with a smaller tub for wet tumbling. Should I use that and if so what liquid would I use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    Nushine seemed to keep the dust down for dry tumbling when I was using that. Corn media also seemed to have less dust. Id usually just blow the dust off with an air gun. I've moved to wet tumbling years ago with 1/8" diagonals (not the kind that it comes with) and a squirt of 3d wash n wax. Took a lot of experimentation to get to this combination.

For lube, I found that a lanolin / alcohol mix is the best thing for all types of reloading. I've never had a stuck case with this stuff. My recipe for this is near the bottom of my web page here. https://cockrum.net/shooting.html

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    I’m new to this and I’ve just ran my 1st batch of .45 through the Lyman 1200 with the red tuffnut. What’s the best way to get all the red dust off. The Lyman came with a smaller tub for wet tumbling. Should I use that and if so what liquid would I use ?

The best way I've found to get the red dust off from the Lyman media... Throw out that stuff and use non treated media.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    I had issues with one shot on .270s a few years ago. I had a few stuck cases then added more which caused dented necks. Maybe I just didn't get the right amount dialed in. Gave up on it right after that.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Nushine seemed to keep the dust down for dry tumbling when I was using that. Corn media also seemed to have less dust. Id usually just blow the dust off with an air gun. I've moved to wet tumbling years ago with 1/8" diagonals (not the kind that it comes with) and a squirt of 3d wash n wax. Took a lot of experimentation to get to this combination.

For lube, I found that a lanolin / alcohol mix is the best thing for all types of reloading. I've never had a stuck case with this stuff. My recipe for this is near the bottom of my web page here. https://cockrum.net/shooting.html

I’ll give the wet tumbling a try next time. Thanks for link

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    They say that Brasso is a big no-no on cartridge cases because the ammonia in it weakens the brass. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this. Seems like a small amount shouldn't penetrate the surface much but ammonia is known to change the structure of the brass making it brittle. I'm not certain how much that this would actually affect it but most people seem to be against it. In media, it might not affect it that much since it's likely that most of the ammonia would evaporate.

The nut material does a good job but I was amazed at the difference with the SS media / wet tumbling. The outside is shiny polished and inside of the cases comes out with nearly zero black discoloration on it. The 3D Wash N Wax does a good job of cleaning/degreasing and also leaves a thin coating on the brass so it doesn't immediately oxidize. I found that if I just use dishwashing liquid with it, it will be so clean that it will tarnish over a couple of days. I tried a couple of other brands (mothers, turtlewax, etc.) with mixed results -- some gunky / some tarnished immediately / etc.

They say that Brasso is a big no-no on cartridge cases because the ammonia in it weakens the brass. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this. Seems like a small amount shouldn't penetrate the surface much but ammonia is known to change the structure of the brass making it brittle. I'm not certain how much that this would actually affect it but most people seem to be against it. In media, it might not affect it that much since it's likely that most of the ammonia would evaporate.

The nut material does a good job but I was amazed at the difference with the SS media / wet tumbling. The outside is shiny polished and inside of the cases comes out with nearly zero black discoloration on it. The 3D Wash N Wax does a good job of cleaning/degreasing and also leaves a thin coating on the brass so it doesn't immediately oxidize. I found that if I just use dishwashing liquid with it, it will be so clean that it will tarnish over a couple of days. I tried a couple of other brands (mothers, turtlewax, etc.) with mixed results -- some gunky / some tarnished immediately / etc.

It's true, that's why you only use a few drops. If you use too much the ammonia will destroy the brass alloy you can tell because the brass will come out pink..

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Tumbling both wet and dry here more wet though
    used the old Thumler's Model B with both corn cob and lizard litter
    Dillon's CV-2001 also with same setup. use old dryer sheet tricks to
    cut down on dust.

for wet tumbling went the DIY route something like this
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/How_i_built_my_own_rotary_tumbler/42-344986/
    works great, you can make some mods to it.
    recipe of lemonshine and dawn, stainless steel pins,cleans great.

One Shot lube I shy away from, we can debate it, "people don't read instructions,
    people don't give it time to dry" and so on, most of the posts of stuck case is with
    One Shot, if it works for you great. Imperial Sizing Wax, a little on the fingers works
    great, Lanolin / Alcohol mixtures works good, Corbin swaging lube for my case forming
    and some times those hard to size 50 BMG's

-Rock

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    That's pretty awesome looking. Also looks like a lot of work to make. I got one of the Frankford Arsenal ones when they went for $150. They've got a lot of coupons that come out from their site via their mailing list if you sign up. They had a 20% off last month - I'd guess that they'll have another one before Xmas. Amazon has it for $165 right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTN4R6O

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    That's pretty awesome looking. Also looks like a lot of work to make. I got one of the Frankford Arsenal ones when they went for $150. They've got a lot of coupons that come out from their site via their mailing list if you sign up. They had a 20% off last month - I'd guess that they'll have another one before Xmas. Amazon has it for $165 right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTN4R6O

If your refering to the metal frame, maybe welding, cutting the steel etc.
    some have modified it, used wood framing, then some plywood for the base,
    about the only issue would be the 6" drain pipe if you had to cut it, I would find some plumber friends and maybe they can cut it for you also you can go to new contructoin sites there is scrap drain laying around just ask...

-Rock

Wiseguy59

Sep 10, 2013
    Northern Balto. County
    I've always used a vibratory cleaner, but is tumbling better?
    The wet tumbling in itself makes it seem worth it, but I just wanted to see what people think.
    I know tumbling has got to be quieter. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom