• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I can cover you for a holster for that if u don't wanna start at low ready

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Matter of fact, I've got a safariland 6378 ALS holster you can borrow for the day. If you like it I'll sell it to ya cheap.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I’m looking at the December 12th match. Approximately, how many shotgun rounds would be needed?

Can someone direct me to the rules for this event. I wanna make sure I’m reading the correct rules.

I’ve shot an IPSC match in Ft Meade decades ago but I’m now wanting to return to competitive shooting.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Here’s the round counts from the last 3 gun match:

Approx. Round Count (if you don't miss)
    Rifle - 50
    Shotgun - 30 plus 2 optional slugs
    Pistol - 20
    Shotgun/Pistol - 40

So up to 70 shotgun rounds if you didn’t miss. Usually a sleeve of 100 is plenty

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I’m looking at the December 12th match. Approximately, how many shotgun rounds would be needed?

Can someone direct me to the rules for this event. I wanna make sure I’m reading the correct rules.

I’ve shot an IPSC match in Ft Meade decades ago but I’m now wanting to return to competitive shooting.

Sounds like you shot with John Pepper...

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville

Rules should be posted on practiscore. Any specific questions email us at matchdirector@agcrange.org and one of us who’ll get back to you.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    I'd like to sign up for falling steel, looks like lot of fun

Can I run a suppresor in PCC?

Which division would ar pistol fit in? Rimfire pistol or rifle? What is the minimum barrel length to make the steel fall in rimfire?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I'd like to sign up for falling steel, looks like lot of fun

Can I run a suppresor in PCC?

Which division would ar pistol fit in? Rimfire pistol or rifle? What is the minimum barrel length to make the steel fall in rimfire?

Falling steel would only be for handgun calibers 9mm, .40, .45 or .22 lr rimfire.
    An AR style pistol in a pistol caliber listed above would be considered a PCC
    Don’t know about the suppressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Falling steel would only be for handgun calibers 9mm, .40, .45 or .22 lr rimfire.
    An AR style pistol in a pistol caliber listed above would be considered a PCC
    Don’t know about the suppressor.
    Really depends on how strictly we're enforcing the Steel Challenge ruleset. I don't believe braced pistols or PCCs with cans are legal for official SC matches. Something to ask the Match Director about.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Really depends on how strictly we're enforcing the Steel Challenge ruleset. I don't believe braced pistols or PCCs with cans are legal for official SC matches. Something to ask the Match Director about.

Well it’s not called steel challenge anymore and there are people shooting braced 9mm AR pistols every match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well it’s not called steel challenge anymore and there are people shooting braced 9mm AR pistols every match
    The divisions are still based on the Steel Challenge divisions, though. One of the few weak points that outlaw steel at AGC has is that the rules are not entirely clear due to the somewhat haphazard exceptions to the official SC ruleset. (I'd be happy to draft a document to help resolve this problem if someone asked.)

(I had to bump three guys in my squad into open at the last 3GN match because they friggin' threw dots in their pistols and then registered into tac scope/limited, so clarifying division equipment rules are on my mind lately.)

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    The divisions are still based on the Steel Challenge divisions, though. One of the few weak points that outlaw steel at AGC has is that the rules are not entirely clear due to the somewhat haphazard exceptions to the official SC ruleset. (I'd be happy to draft a document to help resolve this problem if someone asked.)

(I had to bump three guys in my squad into open at the last 3GN match because they friggin' threw dots in their pistols and then registered into tac scope/limited, so clarifying division equipment rules are on my mind lately.)

There’s reasoning behind a lot of this. The 3gun we follow mid Atlantic 3 gun but like I’ve mentioned before the time sheets don’t show a split as much as people may think. Tac limited and scope times are always really close and even most shooters in open are not beating the times in tac Ltd.

As to falling steel, we just changed again because it’s a lot of Shooter’s and many of the divisions were extremely sparse. We also don’t do any checking of gun weights, mag capacity, specific mods to a gun. It is a lot of administrative burden on a group of volunteers. If there were prizes involved we’d be more official but there isn’t. So after a lot of deliberation we decided to collapse falling steel to focus on the sighting system, recognizing compensated pistols do offer a huge advantage but they are far from prolific at this time. If they show up and become a huge advantage, we will address it then.

As to the pcc’s braced, I don’t know how Mike / Rick were handling it before but for this Dec one I’ll be following their precedence. I’m good with use of a suppressor, just makes being an RO so much easier.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There’s reasoning behind a lot of this. The 3gun we follow mid Atlantic 3 gun but like I’ve mentioned before the time sheets don’t show a split as much as people may think. Tac limited and scope times are always really close and even most shooters in open are not beating the times in tac Ltd.
    This is true, and I am aware of it because I check my scores pretty thoroughly. But you and I also know why it's true: because 1) most of the shooting is at 50yds and in, and 2) open catches a bunch of guys who aren't really running race gear because they simply don't want to deal with figuring out the right division. If we were at PNTC and shooting out to 500-600, I suspect the difference between tac limited and tac scope would widen considerably. If I could literally run only my CO pistol or only my PCC, I'd probably place top ten in any AGC multi-gun match that didn't use the 200yd range. (That isn't a demand for change, it's just an observation based on the last time I ran in 2gun there.)

As to falling steel, we just changed again because it’s a lot of Shooter’s and many of the divisions were extremely sparse. We also don’t do any checking of gun weights, mag capacity, specific mods to a gun. It is a lot of administrative burden on a group of volunteers. If there were prizes involved we’d be more official but there isn’t. So after a lot of deliberation we decided to collapse falling steel to focus on the sighting system, recognizing compensated pistols do offer a huge advantage but they are far from prolific at this time. If they show up and become a huge advantage, we will address it then.
    Hot take: the big difference isn't "running a compensator". Comps are not a big deal in steel challenge because splits don't matter as much as transitions (which happen during recoil). The big difference is dudes shooting tuned 2011s running against poor bastards with almost-stock Glocks. The real SC rules do a pretty credible job of making these distinctions, and I don't think they're so hard to explain or understand. Your match, your rules, and I'll play by them... but I watch like a hundred people show up at the TCSC USPSA matches who have somehow have it figured out.

Last edited:

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Here’s the round counts from the last 3 gun match:

Approx. Round Count (if you don't miss)
    Rifle - 50
    Shotgun - 30 plus 2 optional slugs
    Pistol - 20
    Shotgun/Pistol - 40

So up to 70 shotgun rounds if you didn’t miss. Usually a sleeve of 100 is plenty
    Thanks for the info

Sounds like you shot with John Pepper...
    This was in the late 90’s or early 2000. It was my first match. I don’t remember much but I do remember that I had a lot fun.

Rules should be posted on practiscore. Any specific questions email us at matchdirector@agcrange.org and one of us who’ll get back to you.

Thanks for the info. From what I’ve been reading there are house rules to the different orgs. I wanna be sure that I’m reading the correct rules so that I can show up with some idea of what’s going on.
    I’ll register online.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

Division issue has been simplified. It is where we are and where we really need to be at this point This match is just for kicks and last I checked Max Michel and Jerry Miculek haven't come to shoot with us yet.

There is a reason for everything that we do. The reason we use the SC ruleset loosely is because we are bound by the AGC Event Policy to abide by the ruleset of a santioning body

IX. Event Policy
    B4. Matches may be conducted according to the official rules of the sanctioning body,
    provided that the Executive VP has certified those rules as meeting AGC's
    standards for safe and appropriate use of AGC ranges. Otherwise, all AGC range
    rules and policies apply at all events

This really has zero to do with divisions, fairness, or anything other than the few safety rules that are in them. We specifically requested that this language be included because there are a few things we do in our matches that would otherwise violate AGC Range Rules.

All of that said, if you would like to draft a "Falling Steel" rule set, then please knock yourself out. It is something that I should be done already, but just has been on the back burner and quite frankly forgotten about. The "Fallling Steel" game is quite straightforward and we want to keep it as simple as possible. Send me something we will review it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom