• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    MidwayUSA has these 4 piece die sets in stock again for less than $50 ...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101119737

Because this die set had sold out these past couple of months, eBay and Gunbroker have had listings for $90-100, and Amazon currently has a seller asking over $160.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i still don't know jack about reloading. i have a set of redding premium 40 s&w on order from brownells. a lot more expensive. what if anything would i be losing by going with the Lee's above? This will be to feed my sti .40 edge which doesn't need long ammo. the redding has a micrometer seater. but if i plan to just set it and forget it, is that really a necessity? basically i'm just planning on measuring OAL on my existing ammo that works and screwing down the seater til i get there on my t7 turret press (with same bullet/profile).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    i still don't know jack about reloading. i have a set of redding premium 40 s&w on order from brownells. a lot more expensive. what if anything would i be losing by going with the Lee's above? This will be to feed my sti .40 edge which doesn't need long ammo. the redding has a micrometer seater. but if i plan to just set it and forget it, is that really a necessity? basically i'm just planning on measuring OAL on my existing ammo that works and screwing down the seater til i get there on my t7 turret press (with same bullet/profile).
    Midway has a backorder option for the Lee 40 S&W deluxe die set. They didn't have this previously for the 9mm set. I was able to get the Lee 38/357 and 45 ACP sets last month, and they performed fine (easy reloading process, cases were gauging within spec, and ammo worked). The Lee pistol caliber die sets seem to get good reviews and are economical.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The COl is one of the parameters that will be set by your reloading table. Just like the charge weight. If you set the projectile too deep into the case you could end up with a compressed load, which burns very differently than the normal charge. Please don't just measure your existing ammo.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yep, agree. This was my first batch ever of 38 Special, 125 gr bullets, using the Lee die set. Slowly adjusted seating depth to get the right overall length before doing the rest (and monitoring COL) followed by crimping.
    1c45d7a9687bc7ca112a0c661f9199cb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom