• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a PT92 AF that has a non removable front sight.
    My eyesight isn't what is was when I bought it 30 years ago.
    This is the first handgun I owned and just can't get rid of it.
    Does anyone know of a gunsmith that can drill out the existing front and rear sights and convert then to fiber optic?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I’m almost there. Wear glasses and have since childhood, use to not be a problem, but now most pistol sights are getting harder to see. I think a RMS, something along the lines of a Vortex Viper maybe something to look into, especially since it’s not a CCW piece.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    It's tough to find reasonable gunsmiths, and gun stores in Maryland where you can get discounts on firearms. I used to live in Kentucky, and we had pawn ships and gun stores, plus talented gunsmiths and teaching instructors that were affordable. In Maryland, gun stores treat customers like serial killers. When I buy a gun here, they wrap it up so tightly it takes 20 minutes just to get through all the packaging when I get home. And heaven forbid if you want a box of ammo with your gun!

In short, I never feel at home in a Maryland gun store.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I’m almost there. Wear glasses and have since childhood, use to not be a problem, but now most pistol sights are getting harder to see. I think a RMS, something along the lines of a Vortex Viper maybe something to look into, especially since it’s not a CCW piece.

I'd recommend a Vortex Venom, because you don't need to pull the red dot off the replace the battery. That was the tiebreaker feature between the Venom and the Viper.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    OP,
    Have you tried paint on the front sight? Possible, cheap solution.

See if XS makes a big dot for the front sight, it may have to be milled down for installation if they make one for it.

The night sight companies used to mill the sights to put their sights in. Check Meprolight and Trijicon to see if they still do that.

Don't know anyone who does the fiber optic install.

Or, could drift the rear sight out and put a plate in that slot and install a red dot.

cmb

Dec 28, 2012
    Conowingo MD
    It's tough to find reasonable gunsmiths, and gun stores in Maryland where you can get discounts on firearms. I used to live in Kentucky, and we had pawn ships and gun stores, plus talented gunsmiths and teaching instructors that were affordable. In Maryland, gun stores treat customers like serial killers. When I buy a gun here, they wrap it up so tightly it takes 20 minutes just to get through all the packaging when I get home. And heaven forbid if you want a box of ammo with your gun!

In short, I never feel at home in a Maryland gun store.

Look up Tactical Shepherd in Rising Sun MD. It'll be a drive for you but one you won't regret. Only connection I have with 'em is being a satisfied customer.

ACMAN

Jan 24, 2011
    Maryland
    OP,
    Have you tried paint on the front sight? Possible, cheap solution.

See if XS makes a big dot for the front sight, it may have to be milled down for installation if they make one for it.

The night sight companies used to mill the sights to put their sights in. Check Meprolight and Trijicon to see if they still do that.

Don't know anyone who does the fiber optic install.

Or, could drift the rear sight out and put a plate in that slot and install a red dot.

I've tried the paint route. It didn't help much.
    I'll check with Meprolight and Trijicon.
    Red dot with a plate sounds like it may be the way to go though.
    Thanks for the help.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The one good thing about the beretta if it becomes inoperable it makes a nice bludgeon or it could cause sever head trauma if thrown. My first pistol was Taurus Beretta 92AFS. I love that thing. Its a monster but it is damn reliable.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Look up Tactical Shepherd in Rising Sun MD. It'll be a drive for you but one you won't regret. Only connection I have with 'em is being a satisfied customer.

Thanks. Besides being a satisfied customer, what can you tell me? Do they have a great selection? Good prices?

I really miss the days you could go into a gun store or a dark, musty pawn shop, buy a gun and leave with it in a paper bag and a box of cheap ammo! God, those were the days! And if you couldn't afford to buy an expensive S&W, you could shell out fifty bucks and leave with a Raven or a Jennings.

I've never understood why Maryland would make someone with five or six guns already registered with the state go through a waiting period. I mean, what's the point? I figure they must just do it because they hate guns and gun owners.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Must have been a thing back then as my first handgun was a blued Taurus PT92 AF. Still own it. Great shooter and super reliable. Have not shot it in years. Might need to put some rounds down range with it soon!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Must have been a thing back then as my first handgun was a blued Taurus PT92 AF. Still own it. Great shooter and super reliable. Have not shot it in years. Might need to put some rounds down range with it soon!

My first center fire pistol was a satin stainless PT92.
    Sold it a long time ago, wish I still had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Who needs sights? Just point it in the right direction and keep pulling the trigger. They make 20-round magazines for that sucker!

[SARCASM]Of course this is Maryland so you'll never be able to get one! [/SARCASM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom