Inherited AR-15 pre-2013 but it's stored out of state. What are my options?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Agarax

Jan 18, 2016
    Hope this is in the right forum. To keep it short and simple I inherited a AR-15 from my step-father after he passed away about 10 years ago. For a lot of reasons I wasn't in a good spot to get it shipped to MD, so it's been sitting in my folk's gun safe back home ever since.

Everything I read says that if you owned it pre-2013 it should be good, but the details are kind of fuzzy about if it needed to be in-state before then.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Edit: To clarify, home is out west so I just can't throw it in my trunk and drive back, I'd have to have it shipped, which as far as I can tell requires shipping to a FFL?

Edit 2: Talked to a lawyer about it, but they never got back to me. Ended up just emailing the MSP Firearms Services Section. They got back to me 5 minutes later and said that banned weapons owned before 2013 can be inherited and do not have to be specifically listed in the will. Went ahead and submitted a voluntary 77R to have a paper trail and after a brief conversation on the phone with one of the troopers it came back 'not disapproved'.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hope this is in the right forum. To keep it short and simple I inherited a AR-15 from my step-father after he passed away about 10 years ago. For a lot of reasons I wasn't in a good spot to get it shipped to MD, so it's been sitting in my folk's gun safe back home ever since.

Everything I read says that if you owned it pre-2013 it should be good, but the details are kind of fuzzy about if it needed to be in-state before then.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

If you owned it pre-Oct 2013, you can bring it into the state, you will have to register it, if it is not an HBAR.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    why would you post saying what you said? There is NO right direction to point. You already threw yourself under the bus. Good luck sir

Nice job contributing absolutely nothing of substance to this thread.

The law is actually quite clear on what he’s asking, so perhaps you should think before you respond with something so utterly unhelpful.

Good luck sir

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    why would you post saying what you said? There is NO right direction to point. You already threw yourself under the bus. Good luck sir

There are several ways to point him, and all of them are correct, given his situation.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    If you owned it pre-Oct 2013, you can bring it into the state, you will have to register it, if it is not an HBAR.

Disagree. (IANAL)

He owned it pre-2013. Retroactive registration for owners of existing Non-hbars is not compulsory. Firearm registration. for legally aquired firearms was not compulsory before 2013 either. Registration of long guns remains non-compulsory in Maryland...for now.

As long as bequeath/F2f was legal in the OPs father's state of residence at the time of his passing (as it was in Maryland) then he owned it legally)

AFAIK, HBARs are a legal/illegal thing, not a registration thing. After 2013, new purchase or construction of Non-hbars was illegal. Possession remains legal. There is no registration process to make new ownership or construction of a non-hbar legal.

Agarax

Jan 18, 2016
    To clarify, home is out west so I just can't throw it in my trunk and drive back, I'd have to have it shipped, which as far as I can tell requires shipping to a FFL?

Apologies for the newb questions.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    the plot thickens.

You can ship a gun you own directly to yourself. But you must be on the sending end and the receiving end. And only you can handle it. Or you can drive/fly there and back with it.

But if someone else ships it to you... through an FFL... do you really own it? No FFL will transfer it on a 4473. Its a banned rifle.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    To clarify, home is out west so I just can't throw it in my trunk and drive back, I'd have to have it shipped, which as far as I can tell requires shipping to a FFL?

Apologies for the newb questions.

legally, if you own it, then you own it.

Putting it in your truck and driving it is kosher.

I would consult an attorney to get an experts opinion

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    legally, if you own it, then you own it.

Putting it in your truck and driving it is kosher.

I would consult an attorney to get an experts opinion

I think he's saying he "just cant" because its a long drive and flying is restricted. Then there is the 14 day self quarantine. So, "just can't" is the sense of "its really hard"

Agarax

Jan 18, 2016
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'll double check with a lawyer to make sure my bases are covered, but it sounds like the easiest way to do this is just wait until I fly home next and just bring it back as checked baggage.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Disagree. (IANAL)

He owned it pre-2013. Retroactive registration for owners of existing Non-hbars is not compulsory. Firearm registration. for legally aquired firearms was not compulsory before 2013 either. Registration of long guns remains non-compulsory in Maryland...for now.

As long as bequeath/F2f was legal in the OPs father's state of residence at the time of his passing (as it was in Maryland) then he owned it legally)

AFAIK, HBARs are a legal/illegal thing, not a registration thing. After 2013, new purchase or construction of Non-hbars was illegal. Possession remains legal. There is no registration process to make new ownership or construction of a non-hbar legal.

If he had purchased it prior to 2013, the sale would have to gone through an FFL or MSP.

AFAIK, inheritance requires going through MSP, but no charge.

Edit -------------------

Section 5-502

(8) the receipt of a regulated firearm by inheritance, if the heir forwards to the Secretary a completed application to
    purchase or transfer that regulated firearm;

You have to do a 77r.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

I'll double check with a lawyer to make sure my bases are covered, but it sounds like the easiest way to do this is just wait until I fly home next and just bring it back as checked baggage.
    Or wait till this virus stuff blows over, on your next visit ship it to yourself. Might be a bit easier than flying back with it.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Or wait till this virus stuff blows over, on your next visit ship it to yourself. Might be a bit easier than flying back with it.

Flying was easier then I ever imagined. It's like a speed pass in my experience. First time was ohare.i walked in and got in a mile long line to check in. A guy walked up and asked if there was a firearm in the case, I said yep. He said go to counter 147 or something, one guy in front of me checking in fishing poles.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    If he had purchased it prior to 2013, the sale would have to gone through an FFL or MSP.

AFAIK, inheritance requires going through MSP, but no charge.

Edit -------------------

Section 5-502

You have to do a 77r.

wow you're totally right!

except prior to 2013 ARs were not regulated firearms. but thank you for playing.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

an excellent decision

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom