• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Two different things. Actually 3.

SKS with detachable mag is BANNED.

Under copy cat provision, "A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT HAS A FIXED MAGAZINE WITH THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS" is BANNED.

So you only buy/own one of these if it was purchased prior to 10/1/2013. So while you could purchase a 20 round fixed mag for an SKS, if you installed it on your post 2013 SKS you would be creating a banned assault weapon. And thus would be breaking the law.

And, "This section does not apply to: (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine." So no limits for .22 with tubular mags.

Interestingly, they do not say .22 rimfire. So a .22 CENTERFIRE with tubular mag is exempt. :)

Could someone please confirm that:

While post 2013 SKS with detatchable mags are banned, pre 2013 SKS are legal with detachable mags of any capacity using the duckbill thingie. To remove the permanent 10 rnd mag, remove the trigger group, then reinstall the trigger group. i also believe that bayonets are also legal on the pre 2013 SKS's.

That all said, I suspect that one would still get hassled if one uses a pre 2013 detachable mag SKS on the range even though you are technically legal and in compliance. Is this assumption true or should the original mag be re-installed to be in compliance w/ the ATF and MD. Asking for a friend.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Just gonna put this out there, but I've heard that the ChiCom Star Mags are pretty bad, regardless of MD's crazy confusing legalities. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom