• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Not necessarily. You can get a exemption letter from the 7 day waiting period if the weapon is to be used for law enforcement purposes. In my case, it was my off-duty Glock 19 I bought 8 years ago. I still had to wait a couple months for the gun to come in stock, but as soon as the Cop Shop had it in, I was able to walk in with my signed exemption letter and walk out same day with my pistol.

I stand corrected. I was referring to the fact that even police have to wait (for a personal weapon)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish Alley

Nov 27, 2011
    at work we had to watch a "training" slideshow on the LEOSA. but it left a lot open to interpretation and there was no one to ask a question to. My Sgt is our certified range instructor so i asked him about what i can carry and he told me in De they wont care but Md is funny and they might care and only want it to be the same Cal..

i tried finding the working that i mistook for "apples to apples" regarding what Cal. i could carry but i cant find it again.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you qualify with any semi-auto pistol, you are cleared to carry semi-auto pistols. If you qualify with any revolver, you are cleared to carry revolvers.

At least that is what is printed on the card they issue after you qualify. The qualification is good for a year, so I guess next year I could switch to a revolver if that is what I want to carry next year.

Again, I only know the retired portion of LEOSA in MD as that is all I have dealt with.

Be safe.

It's a Maryland thing.

at work we had to watch a "training" slideshow on the LEOSA. but it left a lot open to interpretation and there was no one to ask a question to. My Sgt is our certified range instructor so i asked him about what i can carry and he told me in De they wont care but Md is funny and they might care and only want it to be the same Cal..

i tried finding the working that i mistook for "apples to apples" regarding what Cal. i could carry but i cant find it again.

Once you qualify under LEOSA, regardless of what state you live and and actually qualified under, you can carry whatever pistol in any state you visit.

If a .40 is what you qualified with, then you can carry that in any state.

Or qualify twice, once each for semi and revolver .

Not necessarily. LEOSA does not separate revolver from semi. They say "firearm".
    The qualification course one shoots has to be an approved qual course used by a/any police agency of the state of which the applicant resides. If X agency shoots both, then that's what the applicant will shoot.

"revolver" and "semi" depends on the agency the applicant shoots under.
    Charles county SO differentiates the 2, even though LEOSA does not state either, or.
    When you qual there, they give the person the opportunity to shoot both and will list such on the qual card.

I last qualed in PA since I moved here last year. The "certified" instructor I shot with doesn't list both because the course I shot is a "pistol" course used by agencies, also LEOSA doesn't say it has to be.
    A firearm is a firearm.

So if your card says "semi" and you use a revolver in a shooting, what's going to happen? LEOSA won't, because firearm is a firearm, not a semi or a revolver.

What can a state or the agency do? Well, the retiree applicant is not an an active employee of that agency, so there won't be an agency disciplinary action.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    From https://mdle.net/firearms.htm

"ATTENTION:
    There have been a number of calls regarding the noted subject of LEOSA permits expiring due to the COVID-19 Pandemic which resulted in us having to cancel training sessions. The question is "can I still carry even though my permit has expired"? The simple answer is:

Yes, you can carry but ONLY in the state of Maryland.
    DUE NOT CARRY OUT OF STATE ON AN EXPIRED LEOSA PERMIT!

This information was passed on to us from the Maryland State Police through the Maryland Attorney General's Office. Below is the exact verbiage we received:

The expiration date of the Retired L.E.O.S.A. Identification Card is extended by the Governor's Executive Order of March 12, 2020 which extends the expiration dates of "all licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations issued by the State of Maryland." However, 18 USC 926C(d)(2)(B) requires certification that the individual met firearms qualification standards not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying a concealed firearm.

Individuals whose firearms qualification is more than one year old are not in compliance with the requirements of 926C(d)(2)(B). Therefore, it would not be recommended to carry on an expired LEOSA Identification Card outside the State of Maryland until compliance with the requirements of 926C(d)(2)(B) are met."

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    From https://mdle.net/firearms.htm

"ATTENTION:
    There have been a number of calls regarding the noted subject of LEOSA permits expiring due to the COVID-19 Pandemic which resulted in us having to cancel training sessions. The question is "can I still carry even though my permit has expired"? The simple answer is:

Yes, you can carry but ONLY in the state of Maryland.
    DUE NOT CARRY OUT OF STATE ON AN EXPIRED LEOSA PERMIT!

This information was passed on to us from the Maryland State Police through the Maryland Attorney General's Office. Below is the exact verbiage we received:

The expiration date of the Retired L.E.O.S.A. Identification Card is extended by the Governor's Executive Order of March 12, 2020 which extends the expiration dates of "all licenses, permits, registrations, and other authorizations issued by the State of Maryland." However, 18 USC 926C(d)(2)(B) requires certification that the individual met firearms qualification standards not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying a concealed firearm.

Individuals whose firearms qualification is more than one year old are not in compliance with the requirements of 926C(d)(2)(B). Therefore, it would not be recommended to carry on an expired LEOSA Identification Card outside the State of Maryland until compliance with the requirements of 926C(d)(2)(B) are met."

I am retiring from the Federal Bureau of Prisons in May. Our credentials specifically say " Retired Law Enforcement". Everyone in our agency I talked to about re-qual to keep my LEOSA after retirement has said nothing about any type of LEOSA card what so ever. I was told that all I needed to do was re-qual once a year with one of our firearms instructors and keep the paperwork showing yearly requal was done. that's it .
    I am totally confused now. Do I listen to my agency or the state of Md?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am retiring from the Federal Bureau of Prisons in May. Our credentials specifically say " Retired Law Enforcement". Everyone in our agency I talked to about re-qual to keep my LEOSA after retirement has said nothing about any type of LEOSA card what so ever. I was told that all I needed to do was re-qual once a year with one of our firearms instructors and keep the paperwork showing yearly requal was done. that's it .
    I am totally confused now. Do I listen to my agency or the state of Md?

I think they mean by LEOSA PERMIT, is the Qualification card.

Looks like your retired cards will be fine.

(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer;

The thing is, what if someone from your job leaves after 11 years? Not 20 year retires.
    Someone with 10 years or more qualify for LEOSA. What would your agency give them?

Like I mentioned, my agency gives us retired creds. AND a Separated officer I.D card. I don't carry my creds because they are worthless. I carry my card and firearms qualification card to be legal.

Apparently The State training commission verifies someone's prerequisite and would also make a "LEOSA" card I think, for agencies who don't issue them?

They are a mess. I would never use the State to LEOSA qual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom