• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 6, 2020
    Hi folks. My wife's aunt lives in PA, but also has a second house in MD. PA is her primary residence, but eventually she plans to retire to the MD house. Retirement is a good 10 years off at this point. She owns guns in PA. She wants to have one at the house in MD for when she's there.

I'm trying to make sense of what's allowed and what's not with regards to her dual residency situation.

Can she legally keep a gun in her house in MD even though PA is her primary state? She'd like to leave a gun in MD and not transport one back and forth from house to house. Before the current quarantine situation, she actually lived in the MD house four days a week. Obviously she'd keep it in a safe like she does with her current handgun.

Can she bring a gun from PA to the house in MD and leave it there, or does she need to purchase a gun in MD for her MD home?

The gun in question is a S&W M&P 9mm with 17 rnd mags. If she can bring a gun she already owns from PA, can she posses the hi-cap mags or should she get 10 rnd mags?

I tried to search for some answers to the above, but didn't find a thread or threads that covered everything.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    She can possess the mags. The catch is if she purchases new, that is when the 10 rounders come into play.

Also have her, keep the cheaper gun in the house she spends less time in.

The ideal solutions is to get a PA carry permit, and carry the gun between homes. Which is legal per 4-203, albeit unloaded (magazine separated from the gun) when travelling in MD.

The most difficult time, is when you open the door at zero dark thirty not knowing what to expect.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I hope she doesn’t keep the gun in a safe while she’s home. That’s as useless as **** on a boar.

Unless it's one of those violent guns we keep hearing about. Gun violence is no laughing matter.

Apr 6, 2020
    She can possess the mags. The catch is if she purchases new, that is when the 10 rounders come into play.

Also have her, keep the cheaper gun in the house she spends less time in.

The ideal solutions is to get a PA carry permit, and carry the gun between homes. Which is legal per 4-203, albeit unloaded (magazine separated from the gun) when travelling in MD.

The most difficult time, is when you open the door at zero dark thirty not knowing what to expect.

She has more than one M&P9, so she'd likely just bring one to the house in MD. That makes sense for consistency's sake.

She has her PA LTCF, so good info on 4-203.

Apr 6, 2020
    I hope she doesn’t keep the gun in a safe while she’s home. That’s as useless as **** on a boar.

It's just a means to keep the gun secure when the family isn't home. She plans to keep it readily accessible when she's home, like she does now.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Seems to me a "visit" is only temporary, thus negating the need to "register" it. who is to say that the firearm has been staying there? What's the problem with bringing it with her? Lock it in a box, throw it in the trunk, separate from the ammo. A non issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom