• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    ”Required for import” safety?

Need to have a positive safety, which the Tokarev design does not have.
    So they scab in something like this abomination (trigger stop in this case).

Attachments

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      52.9 KB · Views: 285
    Feb 28, 2013

Ya compared to the OPs gun thats definitely an abomination :eek:

Gotta watch for that if I decide I want one of these

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

-That non-orginal safety pretty much halved the value if not more in today's US market. There are plenty of import Tokarevs but not many floating around in their original configuration. If you're lucky enough to be Canadian you can buy this same vintage pistol in original config. for $199!. BTW, that's Canadian dollars which is $142.00 USD. Enough to make you cry.
    -I've poked about to try and get a handle on prices with sales spread all over the map. Original bring back paperwork is what seems to add the most value.
    RIA sold one in '18 for $1500, Ohio Ord. is listing one in excellent condition on GB with no takers and Pre98 sold one with a tidy pile of paperwork for $1750.
    -Makes me wonder if anyone here has seen fake paperwork? I have a vague recollection of seeing a thread somewhere discussing this subject. Strikes me as easier to do than modifying a weapon and if successful in fooling the buyer you get a significant return for your meager investment.

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    -That non-orginal safety pretty much halved the value if not more in today's US market.

Fortunately (for me) that was a Romanian TTC that I got for $190 IIRC and later traded away. Put that on a WW2 Russian and I'd venture it's much less than half the value of an unmolested one (usually the gun is reblued/dipped and/or import marked). It's a harsh world :)

-Makes me wonder if anyone here has seen fake paperwork? I have a vague recollection of seeing a thread somewhere discussing this subject. Strikes me as easier to do than modifying a weapon and if successful in fooling the buyer you get a significant return for your meager investment.

Most definitely for WW2. I don't know about the Vietnam era papers; there's some interesting original docs, typically in Vietnamese, in addition to the military forms that add spice though.

There was even a guy on eBay that was selling blank WW2 bring-back papers for a while.

Anyway, that's why I wouldn't pay more for a gun with a bring-back form unless there was some solid provenance with it. A lot of times the paper is pretty vague, and they never have the actual backstory, just that PFC J. Schmuckatelly had "German Pistol 345678" in his possession at one point.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    -That non-orginal safety pretty much halved the value if not more in today's US market. There are plenty of import Tokarevs but not many floating around in their original configuration. If you're lucky enough to be Canadian you can buy this same vintage pistol in original config. for $199!. BTW, that's Canadian dollars which is $142.00 USD. Enough to make you cry.
    -I've poked about to try and get a handle on prices with sales spread all over the map. Original bring back paperwork is what seems to add the most value.
    RIA sold one in '18 for $1500, Ohio Ord. is listing one in excellent condition on GB with no takers and Pre98 sold one with a tidy pile of paperwork for $1750.

Thanks for that info! I was thinking about buying a run-of-the-mill import. Now I know why they are so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom