• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    One thing to consider for you GAS generator owners. Gas doesnt store well. You get get tried fuel conversions that are affordable, that allow you to run gas, propane, or nat gas. I am unlucky enough NOT to have gas heat. But propane bottles give me a second option.

I know nothing about conversions but found this online. Anybody use them, before?
    https://www.motorsnorkel.com/conversion-kits.html

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My contribution:

- Shelf stable foods- heat and or water or less.
    - Additional refill on all prescriptions for the family- can purchase at low cost even if insurance won’t agree.
    - Water storage and consumption plan- 1gal/day/person in the family- hope we don’t need this as it’s a sign SHTF if we did.
    - Simple Bleach and water solution make a fine anti-bacterial/viral cleaner.
    - Firearms- you can only shoot 2 at a time per person at most (ha ha), ammo would be more critical, but hopefully anyone here is already well stocked in that respect. Even .40 has value in the apocalypse.
    - If you have a baby hopefully you’ve got 1+ month supply of diapers (I do!).

A lot of drugs can be purchased outright for reasonable prices using Good RX. Go to GoodRX.com and check the costs of your prescriptions.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I've built a very good supply of things over the years studying events from snow storms , earthquakes , Hurricanes , civil disobedience and events around the world , I'm a little short on only hand sanitizer but have ample soap and was my hands often . A big plus is that I got out of the DC Metropolitan area to my place in Tennessee were we don't need to be in contact with people but maybe once a week or so and have locked the gate so if someone wants to come to my door it's on foot . I have a contractor job box next to my mail box for packages and the mail carrier and UPS FedEx all know to put it in and lock it with the locks in side and with tracking I know when it's in .

Remember to never talk about what you have put up you don't want all those that dismissed your idea of stocking up to show up wanting you to feed them , Have a a good amount of cash but not a lot of big bills , Have a supply of silver if cash becomes worthless , Ammo is also currency too , Beans Bullets and Bandages

mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    Understand where you are coming from. Before whenever a purchase of ammo,weapons or other necessities,her comment was" do you really that". Now it is a different story. She sees that our world is changing rapidly and not for the better. Good to have a little more of what you may need then not.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    When prepping set goals that you can meet , Like start with a extra week of food , then 2 then 3 till you have 6 months , Then move to the long term food the freeze dried stuff , Always remember to buy food you'll eat not random stuff , I bought the single meals to try before I invested in the bulk packs . Get a good strong free standing shelf to start storing it on and always new to the rear , With the can goods don't just stock them Eat them but replace them , Keep a eye on expiration date and understanding that it's gone bad past that date it's just not as fresh tasting , When the store has a BOGO on something you use take advantage of it same for 10 for 10.00 and things like that , You usually find these deals on the end caps or as you come in the store .

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    Most likely those already here know this but for anyone getting started or helping a friend or family member to prep.

Prep for the everyday “disasters” first. Things like power outages, winter storms, losing a job, etc.

Make a starter blackout kit. Led headlamps, flashlights, lantern, and batteries. Add rechargeable batteries later.

Build your food stores as you can. Know what you consume each week or month. Eat 1 can of green beans a week the buy 2 next time. 1 to replace the 2nd to store.

Water is critical. Get creative; save your 2 liter soda bottles or get them from someone that does and start there. You’ll likely need more than 1 gal/ person/ day. Especially for hot weather and sanitation. Add larger storage, purification, and collection methods as you can.

Sanitation is key. No need getting ill during an event. Have a plan on how and where to do your business and keep clean. Options abound depending on your lication - city, burbs, or rural.

Build an emergency fund. Cash on hand and savings.

Store some fuel for vehicles if you can do so safely. Label your fuel containers and rotate your cans monthly. Dump old gas in the vehicle, take can to the next trip. Fill the vehicle and gas can. Add Stabil Storage or Pri-D or Pri-Gto help it last.

Have an alternate heat source like wood stove or propane heater(Big Buddy).

Have an alternate energy source. Battery bank, generator, or get an inverter you can attach to your vehicle. You may have to idle your car to not run down the battery. But consider it a $30,000 generator with wheels sitting outside your house. Oh and you already store fuel, right?

Good to see this forum here. I do miss a few things in MD. This forum and members i’ve met and befriended are some of those.

Last edited:

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    Don’t want to forget otc and prescription meds. Get some cpr, first aid, and trauma training.

Add skills since you’ll have these with you all the time. Grow some food, general home repair, vehicle maintenance, etc. Share your skills with others that are interested and learn from others that have skills you don’t.

Communities will do far better than any individual during a crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom