• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Got the KNS pins on and and the titanium forward assist in. Going to shoot it tomorrow!

You really don't need the KNS pins, because standard pins are designed to "float" and rotate as the trigger and hammer move, so the pins do not wear unevenly and get flat spots.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    You really don't need the KNS pins, because standard pins are designed to "float" and rotate as the trigger and hammer move, so the pins do not wear unevenly and get flat spots.

Agreed but I have a drop in trigger and the stock pins were still loose after setting the adj Allen screws at the bottom of the trigger and I felt more comfortable having the KNS pins on there.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    I want to say No right away! Now that I am educated a little more. But I have not fully decided yet cause at the same time I have shot a lot more rifles with both drop in and component type. What's weird is most of the guns that had drop ins were used by guys who count on them for battle. So i don't know if that is a convenience thing where if there is a failure, they just switch out the whole drop in and have nothing to mess with or what. So it would seem it is just more of a personal preference thing most of all. It's like picking chevy or Ford. They both suck but then again they both work...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I want to say No right away! Now that I am educated a little more. But I have not fully decided yet cause at the same time I have shot a lot more rifles with both drop in and component type. What's weird is most of the guns that had drop ins were used by guys who count on them for battle. So i don't know if that is a convenience thing where if there is a failure, they just switch out the whole drop in and have nothing to mess with or what. So it would seem it is just more of a personal preference thing most of all. It's like picking chevy or Ford. They both suck but then again they both work...

No drop in triggers are used for battle. They are range toys at best.

They are made, because the market is full of people who will believe marketing and snake oil salesmen pitches.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Well there you go! Drop ins are snake oil BS. So i Will not go with one on the next build I just started.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Personally, I'd rip out the one you have and replace it with a true FCG, like the LaRue MBT, Geissele G2S, SSA, SSA-E, ALG QMS, etc...

Ok I am sold. Tell me more about the GS2. I heard good things about the LaRue but if not using the 6lbs heavier spring with store bought ammo it's been none to miss fire. Is that still the case.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ok I am sold. Tell me more about the GS2. I heard good things about the LaRue but if not using the 6lbs heavier spring with store bought ammo it's been none to miss fire. Is that still the case.

I haven’t heard of any issues like that. That said if you want to make absolutely sure of reliability, yes going with the 6lbs spring is the way to go. Unless you are hoping primers, more firing pin energy is never a bad thing.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

The issue isn't misfires, it's the trigger may not reset. If you do a proper install, avoid and pins, and lubricate properly,I thatn't happen with the light trigger spring.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    The issue isn't misfires, it's the trigger may not reset. If you do a proper install, avoid and pins, and lubricate properly,I thatn't happen with the light trigger spring.

Ok I understand. I ordered the GS2.
    Everyone one keeps saying my Rise Ra is no good. So I am going to switch it out. It's just I have 800 rounds on it so far with no problems... YET... 600 were consecutive between me and another shooter one Saturday 2 weeks ago. So it's done well for me. It got very good reviews over multiple sites. I did a little homework before I purchased it... So what makes drop ins not so good or particularly my RA not so good. Help me understand what makes one type better then the other? What fails. Should I just throw it away? I don't want to have an issue where when I pull the trigger nothing happens!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Everyone one keeps saying my Rise Ra is no good. So I am going to switch it out. It's just I have 800 rounds on it so far with no problems... YET... 600 were consecutive between me and another shooter one Saturday 2 weeks ago. So it's done well for me. It got very good reviews over multiple sites. I did a little homework before I purchased it... So what makes drop ins not so good or particularly my RA not so good. Help me understand what makes one type better then the other? What fails. Should I just throw it away? I don't want to have an issue where when I pull the trigger nothing happens!

It's your trigger. Only you can make the call on what to do. I'm simply conveying what I see with pack/cassette triggers. IME, they are toys at best. A factory trigger is better than almost every one out there.

Many pack triggers use lighter springs to accomplish a "better feel". This can cause inconsistent primer ignition and can effect accuracy. Slowed lock time also allows the human variable to have more of an effect on accuracy.

Many pack/cassette triggers are single stage as well which can result in unintentional bumping if you don't grip the weapon hard when shoooting.

Pack triggers are fine on a clean and lightly lubed bench AR. If you use a suppressor, use lots of lube (which is how an AR should be lubed), or let it get fouled up, and a pack trigger usually does not maintain reliability. They will double, not reset, slam fire, or adjustments will come loose.

This does not just apply to people that want to be "tactical", some of my students and customers have have experienced ruined hunts because their pack trigger failing.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Heck I had Jewell fail on the firing line in my fathers R700 action. Guessing all the dirt from the area locked it up. I took the bolt apart 4 different times, thinking had to be the firing pin....low and behold, it was the trigger group.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It's your trigger. Only you can make the call on what to do. I'm simply conveying what I see with pack/cassette triggers. IME, they are toys at best. A factory trigger is better than almost every one out there.

Many pack triggers use lighter springs to accomplish a "better feel". This can cause inconsistent primer ignition and can effect accuracy. Slowed lock time also allows the human variable to have more of an effect on accuracy.

Many pack/cassette triggers are single stage as well which can result in unintentional bumping if you don't grip the weapon hard when shoooting.

Pack triggers are fine on a clean and lightly lubed bench AR. If you use a suppressor, use lots of lube (which is how an AR should be lubed), or let it get fouled up, and a pack trigger usually does not maintain reliability. They will double, not reset, slam fire, or adjustments will come loose.

This does not just apply to people that want to be "tactical", some of my students and customers have have experienced ruined hunts because their pack trigger failing.

Let's also not forget a popped primer in the pack/box triggers will render it non-functional and almost impossible to resolve, without pulling the pack out.

At least with a non-box trigger, you can shake the primer out or at least get to it with a pair of pliers.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

When you install the G2S, do not use the KNS pins. Geissele specifically states that you are not to use KNS anti rotation pins with their triggers. Use the trigger and hammer pins that come with the G2S.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Let's also not forget a popped primer in the pack/box triggers will render it non-functional and almost impossible to resolve, without pulling the pack out.

At least with a non-box trigger, you can shake the primer out or at least get to it with a pair of pliers.

Good point. Very good.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Heck I had Jewell fail on the firing line in my fathers R700 action. Guessing all the dirt from the area locked it up. I took the bolt apart 4 different times, thinking had to be the firing pin....low and behold, it was the trigger group.

That's a 700 trigger for ya. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom