• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The problem with too low a humidity is the moisture gets drawn out of wood stocks. It is a balancing game between humidity and damaged stocks. Of course, this assumes you have wooden grips or stocks on any of your guns.

oh yeah theres a lotta wood in the toy boxes but I figure with the number of times I open them and the amount of moisture I see in the desiccant tubs that its plenty wet hence the worry and amount of drying I do. your right though its a balancing act. my thing is I am scared that one day I wont go in them for a longer length of time and when I open them up there will be mold and rust covering everything. I have seen this with several other guys safes and it scares me to death so I guess risking a cracked stock from over drying to me is better than a lotta rust and mold.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    oh yeah theres a lotta wood in the toy boxes but I figure with the number of times I open them and the amount of moisture I see in the desiccant tubs that its plenty wet hence the worry and amount of drying I do. your right though its a balancing act. my thing is I am scared that one day I wont go in them for a longer length of time and when I open them up there will be mold and rust covering everything. I have seen this with several other guys safes and it scares me to death so I guess risking a cracked stock from over drying to me is better than a lotta rust and mold.

If you area has that high humidity, maybe a dehumidifier may be in order.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    $15 at Home Depot for the "small" one.

Thanks again for the advice. Sooooo much easier than making my own bags. Has a moisture indicator built in and will last 5-10 years

Attachments

• IMG_20170707_142625.jpg
      IMG_20170707_142625.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 167

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Those cards only last a year or so. At that point you won't be able to tell what the level is, it all looks the same. I've used them for some time now and I've never gotten more than 2 years out of them.

Just an FYI.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    $15 at Home Depot for the "small" one.

Thanks again for the advice. Sooooo much easier than making my own bags. Has a moisture indicator built in and will last 5-10 years

I think that's the one I have. DO NOT trust the hangar that comes with it! It unhooks itself from the unit very easily. Next time I dry mine, I'm going to glue the hangar in place.

My biggest complaint (other than the hanger) is that I feel like I'm always recharging it. I think I remember the instructions saying not to leave it plugged in for more than six continuous hours, but it seems to take over ten to get dry. I don't trust leaving it unattended, so it's kind of a pain. I think I just need to get a second one and rotate them frequently.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I think that's the one I have. DO NOT trust the hangar that comes with it! It unhooks itself from the unit very easily. Next time I dry mine, I'm going to glue the hangar in place.

My biggest complaint (other than the hanger) is that I feel like I'm always recharging it. I think I remember the instructions saying not to leave it plugged in for more than six continuous hours, but it seems to take over ten to get dry. I don't trust leaving it unattended, so it's kind of a pain. I think I just need to get a second one and rotate them frequently.

Interesting. My hanger snaps in place and is very secure.

I think you feel like you're always recharging it because you're not doing it long enough. The write up at Amazon says 12-14 hours. https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-500-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B00BD0FN8A. Plug it in a couple hours before going to bed and check it when you get up. Recharging time will vary so time isn't exact, so just check the humidity indicator.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have the Remington version of these and it take every bit of 12-14 hours to recharge them. Then you have to understand, if you're in and out of your safe like I am mine, it won't last that long anyway.

My safes all have a goldenrod, the Remington Rechargeable unit and 2 Hydrosorbent Co 360 grams silica gel boxes. This may be overkill, but it is what it is.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I have the Remington version of these and it take every bit of 12-14 hours to recharge them. Then you have to understand, if you're in and out of your safe like I am mine, it won't last that long anyway.

My safes all have a goldenrod, the Remington Rechargeable unit and 2 Hydrosorbent Co 360 grams silica gel boxes. This may be overkill, but it is what it is.

MAY be ? :lol: :lol2:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Eva-Dry 333 Mini-Dehumidifier

I have been using this one. When it indicates high moisture plug it in and dry it out.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Back in Feb 2010, I bought three Eva-Dry units and keep one in the safe, one in the laundry room, and one in my closet. When I see one is pink, I take all 3 and plug them into a power strip and recharge on my work bench. The next day, when they're recharged, I rotate them to another location. Seven years and still going strong.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you area has that high humidity, maybe a dehumidifier may be in order.

Yeah, I have a locker and not a safe, so it isn't remotely fully sealed. It is in my basement right next to the dehumidifier. Basement stays around 60%RH in the summer time, but it is about 50-52% right next to the dehumidifier (if I don't run the dehumidifier, my basement hangs around 68%RH all summer, no AC vents down there). In the winter time I don't run it as it stays around 40% during the heating season. Should be plenty low to avoid rusting. Once I finally get a safe I'll get a couple of the plug in rechargeable ones and cycle them every week or two. Especially since it'll be in my bedroom closet then where it'll be exposed to open windows in fair weather and stuff, which means >>70% humidity on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom