• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back @ kjackson, that's essentially the difference between (most) striker fired pistols, and (most) hammer fired pistols . Known as Restrike Capability. (yes, occasional exceptions either way, but the overwhelming trend.)

And here's another minority opinion : Striker fired isn't written on a stone tablet, and hammer fired have their virtues also. Traditional DA/SA can be mastered with a modest amount if drilling * if the DA doesn't suck * .

And in his generally good overview of rimfire pistols, Smokey inadvertently overlooked the best choice: Ruger Single Six, with dual cylnder. Great feeling and balance. Great accuraccy. With the .22WMR cylnder, major step up in power.

There are other dual cylnder pistols, but the Single six is the sweet spot.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    If glock is on the table, skip over the g19 to a g22 in .40, add a $100 9mm conversion barrel, another $100 .357 lone wolf conversion barrel, and a advantage arms .22 slide conversion. Now you have one gun shooting .22, 9mm, .357 sig, and .40 with changeouts easilly done at the shooting bench. More still, the .40 mags will feed 9mm rounds. Now get really fancy and get a mechtek 9mm carbine upper to fit your glock frame and your one pistol is now 5 guns in one. All sharing the same grip and grip contols across the boards.

If you want longer barrel, threaded or ported, the lone wolf swap out barrels can go up to 9" and still fit in the same oem slide. Night sights transfer on the oem slide to your .357 sig, .40, and 9mm too so again loads of plinking options and versatility from what is legally speaking a single handgun (lower is what counts). Laser or light transfer on the oem lower so are mirrored for one money on all options as well.

Note the g19 cannot convert up to .40 cal, but the g22 can convert down to .357 sig or 9mm. Word of caution here though, people generally love or hate their glocks... Im a fanboy, but would definitely recommend some test shots before heading down this path.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So for his first handgun he should buy a near $1k gun with an antiquated design, metal construction, a 10 lb trigger and a lower standard capacity that takes a 50% hit in value if he ever wants to sell it?

Or do you mean the SIGlock 320? Because the only thing that has going for it is modularity but when the APX hits the streets it's gonna blow it out of the water.

Or he could go with the gun good enough for the Navy SEALs. AKA the Glock.

Hmmm....the Glock seems to be being pushed aside by the Military version of the SIg P320. :innocent0

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Just to update this with what I ended up doing, I went to the Timonium show. I had thought a lot about why I was looking to buy a gun and thought that maybe I should start with a .22 just for some target shooting until I figured out how much I would actually go shooting. So I went to the show wanting to still look at the Creed, but to also look at the S&W M&P 22 Compact. I walked around for a while without seeing the 22 compact and on my way out stopped at one last dealer. I talked to the rep about the 22 compact and he suggested that I also look into the SW22 Victory. I looked over and handled both of them, but at the end was still undecided since I didn't really know much about the Victory. I went home and read up on the Victory and went to their store a couple days later and bought one. I haven't been able to get out to shoot it yet, but I think that I am really going to like it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Just to update this with what I ended up doing, I went to the Timonium show. I had thought a lot about why I was looking to buy a gun and thought that maybe I should start with a .22 just for some target shooting until I figured out how much I would actually go shooting. So I went to the show wanting to still look at the Creed, but to also look at the S&W M&P 22 Compact. I walked around for a while without seeing the 22 compact and on my way out stopped at one last dealer. I talked to the rep about the 22 compact and he suggested that I also look into the SW22 Victory. I looked over and handled both of them, but at the end was still undecided since I didn't really know much about the Victory. I went home and read up on the Victory and went to their store a couple days later and bought one. I haven't been able to get out to shoot it yet, but I think that I am really going to like it.

You should be happy with the S&W Victory, they are supposed to be good shooters.
    Btw, welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good reports on the Victory, but no hands on experience. I do think highly of other S&W .22lr autoloaders.

But yes, unless your parameters include current real time specific death threats, I recomend beginners start with a good .22lr, and get firm grounding of marksmanship skills. And not just suitable for beginners. They're more fun than ( insert folksy metaphor ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom