• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    What rifles, preferable centerfire, are available in MD that are $600 or less that are bullpup or have a folding stock? It must be reliable. Are there any?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That price. Not really. Sub 2000 sort of, but the whole rifle folds in half, not the stock. Maybe folding stock AK-74 depending on the model (some are approved, AK-47 are a certain no go). Even then you probably won't managed under $600.

A High Point carbine with a bull pup stock (I forget who is making the stock, but they are releasing it soon) would be under $600. You'd likely need to get a muzzle device pinned and welded to get over the 29" OAL MD requirements (I haven't seen the spec yet on PAL, but their 10/22 bullpup setup is about 27.3" OAL).

If you don't mind rimfire, 10/22 with a folder stock or bullpup stock would be perfectly fine. Rimfires have no OAL or feature tests for Maryland.

Keep that in mind as well, if you did find something and want to swap stock, if it has a flash suppressor, a folding stock would be a no go (two evil features).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh, which made me realize, an SKS WITHOUT the grenade launcher and without the flash suppressor could be put in a folding stock. Not sure anyone makes a bullpup stock for one. That would be under $600 most likely for the SKS and the folder.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Yes, I am not feeling the love... I saw the IVI Trevor but it is way pass my price listed above. Was looking for a very short truck rifle. Not going to spend well north of $1000 for a Trevor. I was just wondering if there was anything out there. The Stupid MD requirements add additional difficulties to the goal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, I am not feeling the love... I saw the IVI Trevor but it is way pass my price listed above. Was looking for a very short truck rifle. Not going to spend well north of $1000 for a Trevor. I was just wondering if there was anything out there. The Stupid MD requirements add additional difficulties to the goal.

Well if you want to go cheap a Ruger 10/22 with a folder and some BX-25 loaded with stingers or velocitors would be pretty good short range truck gun. Short range, but great for varmints. Passable for the two leg variety to 100-150yds, which is more than he said for a smooth bore shotgun.

SKS with a folder would be decent, but you can't convert it to dettachable clip feed in MD unless you did it and owned it prior to 2013.

Or, hey, could go with a shotgun and a folding stock. 870 or 500 with a folding stock could probably be done under $500.

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    VZ58/VZ2008 is MD ok and was available for under $600 a few years ago. Looks like prices have crept up but can still be found for under a grand. It's light and incredibly compact with the folding stock.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Thank you all for the ideas. I think the 10-22 with folding stock is where I am heading as it will give me more range then a SG, which is what I was originally looking at.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Oh, which made me realize, an SKS WITHOUT the grenade launcher and without the flash suppressor could be put in a folding stock. Not sure anyone makes a bullpup stock for one. That would be under $600 most likely for the SKS and the folder.

Really guy? A grenade launcher for the M4/M16 is anywhere from 1600 to the sky is the limit on the price tag. Then you have to throw in the tax stamp for it being a DD (Destructive Device). Lord only knows what the grenade launcher for an SKS is going to cost, but it won't be cheap. The grenade launcher flash hider on any rifle does not count as a grenade launcher. The SKS that you find with the adapter on the end of the barrel does not get called a flash hider, it is technically a comp.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Really guy? A grenade launcher for the M4/M16 is anywhere from 1600 to the sky is the limit on the price tag. Then you have to throw in the tax stamp for it being a DD (Destructive Device). Lord only knows what the grenade launcher for an SKS is going to cost, but it won't be cheap. The grenade launcher flash hider on any rifle does not count as a grenade launcher. The SKS that you find with the adapter on the end of the barrel does not get called a flash hider, it is technically a comp.

I thought the launcher adapter was considered a "feature part" for the test?

Good to know it isn't.

As for the muzzle device, yes I know it is a comp. that doesn't mean someone didn't slap a flash suppressor on there at some point. A lot of sporterized SKS out there.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I thought the launcher adapter was considered a "feature part" for the test?

Good to know it isn't.

As for the muzzle device, yes I know it is a comp. that doesn't mean someone didn't slap a flash suppressor on there at some point. A lot of sporterized SKS out there.

Whether it ever had a FH on it is inconsequential. When it is in the original configuration, it is legal.

You have to realize that if it is sold in a legal configuration, it will remain legal, as long as you do not move it into illegal territory.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    VZ58/VZ2008 is MD ok and was available for under $600 a few years ago. Looks like prices have crept up but can still be found for under a grand. It's light and incredibly compact with the folding stock.
    If someone has these for under $600 I'll buy all of 'em.

My Czech VZ58 was right up at a grand in 2014, never seen one for too much less... Add modern furniture and we are waaaaay north of the OP's target. The VZ2008 was in the 500s a few years ago, true, but it's not made anymore from what I recall, and also went up... Plus, Century... Meh. And there were a few differences that were bothersome.

That said, I've learned to love my VZ58. Didn't at first, but it grew on me. Needed to change the grip though, I'm not a big guy but the beaverbarf furniture made for underfed conscripts was not working out. Also got a rail for a red dot. Like the setup much more than an AK, it's very well balanced, handy, light, but absorbs recoil very well. Also doesn't get dirty at all.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom