• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    All,

I have a question on what time a handgun transfer can done at the MSP Barracks. The electronic 77r has been submitted, and confirmation email received with ID and PIN.

Due to travel, I will be near the barracks around 7:30pm. Website was no real help. When I called the barracks, the sargent was not real helpful. He basically said "daylight".

Does anyone on here know if a transfer can be done in the evening hours, 7:00pm and later?

Thanks,

Q

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I would think anytime. Just stop in and let the officer on duty know what your doing and explain that all the paperwork is completed its just the exchange in the parking lot.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I would think anytime. Just stop in and let the officer on duty know what your doing and explain that all the paperwork is completed its just the exchange in the parking lot.

Well, the last time I did it in daylight at the Glen Burnie Barracks, the seller and myself went into the Barracks. The firearm stayed in the trunk of the seller's vehicle. We told the officer of a firearms transfer, gave him the information to bring up the 77R (information was in the email), provided Driver's Licenses from both of us, and my HQL . He started the review, then came back and asked for the firearm. The seller went back to their car to retrieve the firearm and bring it unloaded and locked into the Barracks. The officer took it, and input additional information on the electronic 77R, then asked for payment for the background/NICS check (cash or credit/debit). Once that was done, we left the Barracks to wait for the confirmation email, 7-Days later. Once the email was received, we (the buyer and seller) arranged a location to take possession of the firearm. This is my experience. The Barracks time took ~15 minutes if they are not busy, YMMV. I don't know if the 77R time starts at the time of submission, but I assume it starts when you walk into the Barracks and the Trooper starts his side of the 77R.

I just hope they don't throw a hissy fit when we come in at around 7:30pm, while it is still "daylight".

Please do not say the statement in the above quote or post. I would not want one of us to be the poster child for illegal firearm sales..

Q

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Call that Barrack and see when they do them. There are times where they are busier than others and you would be better off not being there at that time.

I'm sure they get this kind of call on a regular basis.

Good Luck!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Call that Barrack and see when they do them. There are times where they are busier than others and you would be better off not being there at that time.

I'm sure they get this kind of call on a regular basis.

Good Luck!

I called the Glen Burnie Barracks, and the sergeant gave me the "daylight" answer. He seemed annoyed that I was asking him, and that was all he was going to say.

Q

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I called the Glen Burnie Barracks, and the sergeant gave me the "daylight" answer. He seemed annoyed that I was asking him, and that was all he was going to say.

Q

Sorry you had to get that response. My barracks in Bel Air are always friendly.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The barracks are staffed and open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.

Do not accept any answer that handgun transfers are only done on certain days or certain hours. Be firm and tell the troopers that you understand that this registration available at all hours, (except when they are overwhelmed with an on-going operation like a vehicle pursuit that demands the dispatcher's full attention.)

However most dispatcher priority operations take no more than a half hour. Tell them you will be patient and wait.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Do not accept any answer that handgun transfers are only done on certain days or certain hours. Be firm and tell the troopers that you understand that this registration available at all hours, (except when they are overwhelmed with an on-going operation like a vehicle pursuit that demands the dispatcher's full attention.)

However most dispatcher priority operations take no more than a half hour. Tell them you will be patient and wait.

But there are times where they are extremely busy. Out of courtesy for the trooper who is trying to do everything, I try not to do a transfer during shift changes and I try not to show up during rush hour. They can get extremely busy at those times and my transfer doesn't have to happen precisely at those times.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia

But there are times where they are extremely busy. Out of courtesy for the trooper who is trying to do everything, I try not to do a transfer during shift changes and I try not to show up during rush hour. They can get extremely busy at those times and my transfer doesn't have to happen precisely at those times.

Thanks Guys,

We'll see how it goes this evening, keeping in mind the situation at the Barracks.

Q

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Is there a thread with the step-by-step for doing an MSP barracks handgun transfer? I've done a fair few post-MDFSA2013 handgun transfers, but always at a gun shop.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Is there a thread with the step-by-step for doing an MSP barracks handgun transfer? I've done a fair few post-MDFSA2013 handgun transfers, but always at a gun shop.

I kinda outlined it a few posts up, but I agree that there should be a firearms transfer sticky somewhere on the site.

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    All,

Went to the Glen Burnie Barracks by the airport Royal Farms. Arrived at 7:30pm, gave the information on the 77R Online submission and PIN, DL and HQL along with CC for payment, seller brought in the firearm after being told to do so by officer. Process took 15 minutes since we were the only ones in the Barracks. We were done by 7:45pm. Trooper was polite, and quick. Definitely a good experience.

Q

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Well, the last time I did it in daylight at the Glen Burnie Barracks, the seller and myself went into the Barracks. The firearm stayed in the trunk of the seller's vehicle. We told the officer of a firearms transfer, gave him the information to bring up the 77R (information was in the email), provided Driver's Licenses from both of us, and my HQL . He started the review, then came back and asked for the firearm. The seller went back to their car to retrieve the firearm and bring it unloaded and locked into the Barracks. The officer took it, and input additional information on the electronic 77R, then asked for payment for the background/NICS check (cash or credit/debit). Once that was done, we left the Barracks to wait for the confirmation email, 7-Days later. Once the email was received, we (the buyer and seller) arranged a location to take possession of the firearm. This is my experience. The Barracks time took ~15 minutes if they are not busy, YMMV. I don't know if the 77R time starts at the time of submission, but I assume it starts when you walk into the Barracks and the Trooper starts his side of the 77R.

I just hope they don't throw a hissy fit when we come in at around 7:30pm, while it is still "daylight".

Please do not say the statement in the above quote or post. I would not want one of us to be the poster child for illegal firearm sales..

Q

All,

Went to the Glen Burnie Barracks by the airport Royal Farms. Arrived at 7:30pm, gave the information on the 77R Online submission and PIN, DL and HQL along with CC for payment, seller brought in the firearm after being told to do so by officer. Process took 15 minutes since we were the only ones in the Barracks. We were done by 7:45pm. Trooper was polite, and quick. Definitely a good experience.

Q

Just to be clear, all you were doing was taking ownership of the firearm? You already completed the paperwork and received your "not disapproved" email?
    You were making payment to the seller for the actual firearm at that time and confirming the transfer?

If so then I dont believe anything I said is incorrect or illegal. All paperwork was completed, the required delay has completed, and the only thing remaining was the physical transfer; which can be done anywhere that is legal. That was how it used to be for paper forms, the two parties met up, signed the form confirming transfer, the seller was responsible for mailing it back, and that was it. I assumed you wanted to go to the police station for security reasons.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Matlack,

I submitted the electonic 77R online via the MSP website. I received an email with an application number, and a PIN. This information is needed for MSP to initiate the 7-Day waiting cycle. Once the MSP Trooper completes his portion (firearm make, model, S/N), the 7-Day clock starts. The seller and I should get separate emails in 7 days saying I am not disapproved. We then coordinate a meeting for payment/firearm exchange. MSP already has the relevant information from tge 77R.

That's what we were going there to do. We just needed to know if there were set hours to complete the 77R transfer paperwork.

Apologies if there was some confusion.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom