• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Loss of "focus" caused it? Not sure I understand.

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    Glad to hear you're alright. At least it wasn't caught on video and put up on youtube in a compilation video!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Everybody's done something dumb - glad your mistake didn't harm anyone, and you're all the wiser for it!

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Good on you for sharing. I learned trigger control at a very young age. When I was 13 years old my parents started leaving me home for short periods of time alone. Wasn't long before I figured out how to open the gun cabinet with a pocket knife. My love for guns has been since a very young age.

Anyway... I put a load of buckshot through my parents bedroom floor playing with Dads 12GA. Hard lesson to learn. From that point on and to this day, my finger NEVER touches a trigger unless I am pulling it to make it go bang.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    I consider myself to be about as safety conscious as a person can be BUT today I lost my focus. Was playing with my little snub nose 38 (yes playing/fooling around, broke a rule right there). Was cocking gun then pulling trigger with thumb still on hammer and releasing slowly back into position. Third time I did it thumb comes off hammer and BANG. Why was I doing this with a loaded gun ? Sheer stupidity and lack of focus. To compound the stupidity my left hand was next to the cylinder. Why ? I haven't a clue, other than, again, lack of focus and stupidity.

Fortunately I train regularly and out of habit ALWAYS follow rule #1, IE: Always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction unless you plan on destroying something. In this case it meant the loss of a vhs tape rewinder, a vhs tape, and a metal beer tray, but that's because the muzzle was pointed toward the floor like it should be, and not at my leg or a wall or a ceiling.

At any rate I got a very poignant reminder of how important safety is and thought I would share my experience as a reminder to everyone else too. I'm going to drill a hole in that casing and put it on my key ring so I never forget.

Alan, you destroyed a VHS tape, a VHS rewinder and a metal beer tray...

So, this happened in the mid 1980s and we are only now hearing about it? Didn't burn your parachute pants I hope because you're legit, too legit to quit, yo.

Glad you survived your close singe with fate.

Ice - Ice - Baby...
    Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Only an idiot would deny the possibility they could eff up and do something stupid.
    Only an idiot would deny the fact that they indeed did something stupid and refuse to learn from it.
    Only someone filled with self centered fear would deny others the ability to learn from their mistake by hiding it.

I'm alive
    I'm human
    I make mistakes
    My only goal is to be a better person tomorrow than I am today and through sharing hopefully others might also benefit from my experiences (the good and the bad)

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I applaud the fact that you admitted making a terrible mistake, but I have to say guns are not toys and you don't play around with a loaded gun.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    Stay safe. I am glad you did not get hurt. Serves as a lesson to all of us that our hobby carries safety risks that at times we may forget.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    To all those commenting on my initial post, I guess it does sound pretty strange in 2017 for someone to be talking about their vcr.
    I buy and sell just about anything I think I can make a buck on and am working towards being able to make a living at it. If you came to my house you'd think you walked into a flea market and it would be difficult to fire a gun inside without hitting some vintage item.

When I saw the remark about the balloon pants I really did lol and went straight to one of my closets to take a pic, but alas, it turns out that was one of the items that got purged awhile back as they had no real value (condition) and I couldn't imagine ever wearing them again.

EDIT: I have a vcr hooked to both of my tv's and use them almost daily. You know what "they" say.....If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks for sharing. I shy away from live rounds in the chamber while in my house. But its certainly different with a revolver. How are your ear drums? Was anyone else in the house?

They're fine and nobody else was here. Not that this was how I wanted to do it but I've been wanting to fire off a couple rounds inside just so I'd know what it was like. Kind of like people getting pepper sprayed so you're not in complete shock if it ever happens.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    To all those commenting on my initial post, I guess it does sound pretty strange in 2017 for someone to be talking about their vcr.
    I buy and sell just about anything I think I can make a buck on and am working towards being able to make a living at it. If you came to my house you'd think you walked into a flea market and it would be difficult to fire a gun inside without hitting some vintage item.

When I saw the remark about the balloon pants I really did lol and went straight to one of my closets to take a pic, but alas, it turns out that was one of the items that got purged awhile back as they had no real value (condition) and I couldn't imagine ever wearing them again.

They're fine and nobody else was here. Not that this was how I wanted to do it but I've been wanting to fire off a couple rounds inside just so I'd know what it was like. Kind of like people getting pepper sprayed so you're not in complete shock if it ever happens.

Happens. :D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    While we're on the subject, in the house, where is a "safe direction"?
    Typically I believe it to be at the corner floor of a room. This would be where most wood meets in the structure. Unless you have a sand clearing barrel, you have us all beat.
    And would that be a viable option? A 5 gallon bucket of sand? I think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom