• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    I'm selling my non-AR .308 battle rifles and consolidating down to ONE AR .308 platform rifle. I'm going this route because I'm tired of having all these different piles of mags and weird optic mounts and so forth. Plus, Uncle gives me regular trigger time with the 15 so I'm familiar with the ergos.

I just want something drop dead reliable and reasonably accurate, probably won't shoot past 400 yards. I've been eyeballing this:

https://www.armslist.com/posts/6678...ry-1st-responder-smith---wesson-m-p10-moe-nib

Mainly cuz it's sexy and a reliable name.

But then I get emails about this:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...-win-ss-lightweight-15-m-lok-acs-l-rifle.html

And I like the extra 2 inches of barrel and the price.

Anybody own or shot one of the above or have any other input? Y'all never steered me wrong before!

Benjamin

May 30, 2017
    Westminster
    I read an article once where they took a stock M&P-10 out to 1k yards. It worked to a degree, but then again they had a lot of other factors going to aid their shooting.

If you're set on selling everything and just having one AR10, why not go big with Nemo or Falkor Defense? I realize they're beyond pricey, but if it's your one .308 AR, why not make it noteworthy?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The s&w is all proprietary. You will not be able to modify it from factory much. If your ok with the factory configuration no big deal. If your a guy that likes to tinker stay away.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    The s&w is all proprietary. You will not be able to modify it from factory much. If your ok with the factory configuration no big deal. If your a guy that likes to tinker stay away.

PSAs ar10 is about the same. I snagged one of their gen 2 lowers on sale this weekend. They pretty much list on the website to stick with PSA related stuff for anything pa10 related. Which really boils down the upper, and hanguard. I think everything else should be DPMS pattern friendly.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have both an Armalite AR-10 and a Colt LE901-SE. They both weigh the same, the same barrel length and use P-Mags. They balance different when holding...the Colt has a better balance while the AR-10 is more neutral. The Colt is slightly more accurate and somewhat less felt recoil. The Armalite has one big advantage...it costs about half what the Colt does. While I think the Colt is a better rifle it's not twice as good as the AR-10 for the money.

They're both excellent...just one is more cost-effective.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    I've owned a M&P 10 for about 18 months and here are my likes and dislikes:

- Lightweight for a Semi-auto .308, 7.7 pounds naked
    - Muzzle blast from a 18" is less than a 16" (duh).
    - Can get a 2 MOA 5 shot group at 100 yards using M80 ball, 1 MOA using Hornady 155 Gr match 5 shots at 200 yards
    - Ambi. bolt release means that if you are a right handed shooter, you can use your index finger to depress the lower portion of the release, and use your left hand to lock the bolt back; no need to switch hands
    - Ambi. safety has a nice tactile feel
    - Trigger has some creep, like a short heavy first stage, then a nice clean break
    - No perceivable play between upper and lower fit; S&W uses four nylon nubs on the upper to achieve this, after about 220 rounds its still a tight fit
    - Already has a decent flash hider
    - Worked 100% reliably with 20 round P-mags, (only shot slow fire; I haven't tried 25 round p-mags)
    - Triggers, grips, butt-stocks, and hand guards are compatible with Ar15's; uses a "commercial" buffer tube (larger diameter than "mil-spec").

Dislikes:
    - Safety on the right hand side is held in with a loctite and screw, had to use some more blue Loctite to re-secure
    - The finish didn't seem as durable as my Rock River or Aero Precision Ar-15.
    - You'll need good, $1+ per round ammo, or hand loads to get those 1 MOA groups
    - S&W not very willing to sell spare parts to customers
    - Barrel design is proprietary; M&P 10 is NOT exactly DPMS compatible
    - To change out trigger group the ambi bolt catch needs to be removed by punching out its roll pin
    - I needed to install a extended charging handle latch to make one finger charging easier, and most after-market charging handles will need to be modified in order to work with the M&P10
    - Not all free float hand guards will work with it, but there is a good selection that will
    - I paid $1400 for mine, looks like you are getting a better deal :party29:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I've owned a M&P 10 for about 18 months and here are my likes and dislikes:

- Lightweight for a Semi-auto .308, 7.7 pounds naked
    - Muzzle blast from a 18" is less than a 16" (duh).
    - Can get a 2 MOA 5 shot group at 100 yards using M80 ball, 1 MOA using Hornady 155 Gr match 5 shots at 200 yards
    - Ambi. bolt release means that if you are a right handed shooter, you can use your index finger to depress the lower portion of the release, and use your left hand to lock the bolt back; no need to switch hands
    - Ambi. safety has a nice tactile feel
    - Trigger has some creep, like a short heavy first stage, then a nice clean break
    - No perceivable play between upper and lower fit; S&W uses four nylon nubs on the upper to achieve this, after about 220 rounds its still a tight fit
    - Already has a decent flash hider
    - Worked 100% reliably with 20 round P-mags, (only shot slow fire; I haven't tried 25 round p-mags)
    - Triggers, grips, butt-stocks, and hand guards are compatible with Ar15's; uses a "commercial" buffer tube (larger diameter than "mil-spec").

Dislikes:
    - Safety on the right hand side is held in with a loctite and screw, had to use some more blue Loctite to re-secure
    - The finish didn't seem as durable as my Rock River or Aero Precision Ar-15.
    - You'll need good, $1+ per round ammo, or hand loads to get those 1 MOA groups
    - S&W not very willing to sell spare parts to customers
    - Barrel design is proprietary; M&P 10 is NOT exactly DPMS compatible
    - To change out trigger group the ambi bolt catch needs to be removed by punching out its roll pin
    - I needed to install a extended charging handle latch to make one finger charging easier, and most after-market charging handles will need to be modified in order to work with the M&P10
    - Not all free float hand guards will work with it, but there is a good selection that will
    - I paid $1400 for mine, looks like you are getting a better deal :party29:

+1 mine has a free floated hand guard. UTG makes one that works and is surprisingly nice given their reputation. I may try to switch out the barrel later on but not sure how to as of now.

Watch Nutnfancy's YouTube videos on the M&P 10

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    +1 mine has a free floated hand guard. UTG makes one that works and is surprisingly nice given their reputation.
    Some of UTG's stuff now is surprisingly decent, excluding the optics, especially the American-made bits. Not what I'd go to war with, but it at least it's functional, which is an improvement over some of their previous efforts. In particular, I've gotten shockingly good results out of their QD scope mounts, which are really quite good for setups with cheap-but-good scopes that don't quite merit an ADM mount but still require QD for BUIS use in a pinch.

I am assuming that you're in Texas, because it would be a moral outrage to sell a pre-ban banned battle rifle in MD. Personally, my list of things I'd be looking for on a new 308 AR would be:
    1. 18"-20" barrel. 16" is too short, more than 20" becomes unwieldy.
    2. MLOK handguard.
    3. Lighter barrel contour, but not necessarily a pencil barrel.
    4. Fewest proprietary parts possible. (Neither of your choices is great in this regard, but the PSA is probably SLIGHTLY better.)
    5. Reliable (the PSA guns are not well-regarded in this area).

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I like my Gen PA10 so far. I just put an adjustable gas block on it and will test it with my can. Extra upper receivers are affordable and I might build a 6.5CM upper for it. The factory trigger was unbearable so I put a ALG in it and that is just what it needed.

Truthlesshero81

Sep 30, 2011
    Well I broke down and popped on the PSA gen 2. I'll post a range follow up once I've shot it. For the price I couldn't not give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom