• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Been lucky, only squibs I've ever had were with the .50Beo - had a batch of handloads that the powder charge got dampened on (believe I pressed those cases into service w/out letting them fully dry). Didn't fully obturate the base in the bore, plated rounds, so I just used the antenna off my truck to knock them out.

Worked out quite well, in my case.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Been lucky, only squibs I've ever had were with the .50Beo - had a batch of handloads that the powder charge got dampened on (believe I pressed those cases into service w/out letting them fully dry). Didn't fully obturate the base in the bore, plated rounds, so I just used the antenna off my truck to knock them out.

wow. lucky.

Had a guy next to me last year at BRGC have a squib, also lucky the bullet didn't go far enough into the barrel to let him chamber another cartridge.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    With the .50Beo, a squib is definitely noticeable - no recoil, no blast, no ejection. Makes it all too obvious that something is amiss.

After that, I stopped using the sonic tank for cases and went to dry tumbling. Squibs are only dangerous when the shooter doesn't catch on to them.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    At the range, keep the firearm pointed down range and do whatever comes next. Whatever that is.

Under fire, shoot through it and hope for the best. Because that's the only chance you have of killing the threat in front of you and a mag change ain't gonna help. Neither is laying down waiting to be slaughtered.

/thread

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With the .50Beo, a squib is definitely noticeable - no recoil, no blast, no ejection. Makes it all too obvious that something is amiss.

After that, I stopped using the sonic tank for cases and went to dry tumbling. Squibs are only dangerous when the shooter doesn't catch on to them.

Not so noticeable when shooting subsonic loads, suppressed, with ear pro on(open range with others shooting super so...). That's where I had my first squib. After failing twice to cycle a new round into the chamber, it dawned on me. :o

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    At the range, keep the firearm pointed down range and do whatever comes next. Whatever that is.

/thread

^^^This. Was always taught, count to 30 while keeping muzzle pointed down range, then clear the round and see what the problem is.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I can't help but think of all of the shooting that goes on everyday throughout the world, how many people actually have fired through a squib and had zero idea?

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    I had one not too long ago racked the slide 3 times before I realized what was going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    How did we get from calling a Squib load (meaning a light short range training/plinking load) to using it to define a bullet stuck in a barrel? Just wondering- it seems to be a universal term firmly embedded in our vernacular.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How did we get from calling a Squib load (meaning a light short range training/plinking load) to using it to define a bullet stuck in a barrel? Just wondering- it seems to be a universal term firmly embedded in our vernacular.

What is a "short range training/plinking load"?

"Hey guys! Since we aren't shooting real people today, let's jjst use the light loads." LOL

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Pretty much exactly what happened to me on my only squib incident. Tiny bit of dampness in a 8x56mmR load for a Steyr M95/34. No recoil, no ball of fire. Pushed it out with the cleaning rod as it had just barely engaged the rifling. All the other loads were A-OK but that one.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Several years ago I had a squib experience. I knew something wasn't right as soon as I pulled the trigger and heard the report.

In addition to all other basic safety, I was taught early that safe shooting includes "hearing" the rounds you fire.

The sound of a squib may not be what you expect. But if something sounds different, stop shooting immediately and check! Like in the first video, clearing the lead slug from a .38 Spl revolver was simple. But the experience could have turned bad if I had not been also focused on the sound of my shots.

Great reminder to all Minuteman. :thumbsup:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    ...and then there's the "Hollywood" version of the 'squib load'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_(explosive)

I saw that when I was looking for some videos to start this thread. Going to stay away from that use of the term. Only talking about the safety 'malfunction' type. Good point though.

I've never heard this before. Not saying you are wrong, maybe it's a regional thing or something. Not what I learned in the military and not what the NRA or any other respected organization I know of using the term that way. Sorry, I find that interesting and unusual; but not the meaning here.

Under fire, shoot through it and hope for the best. Because that's the only chance you have of killing the threat in front of you and a mag change ain't gonna help. Neither is laying down waiting to be slaughtered.

/thread

Was hoping you would say that, I totally agree. I think I actually heard this advice from you first, years ago. One of your pearls of wisdom. :thumbsup:

I can't help but think of all of the shooting that goes on everyday throughout the world, how many people actually have fired through a squib and had zero idea?

Also a good point and something that's unlikely to be reported if there's no problem. Also, likely the shooter won't even realize it.

As far as the possibility of 'cooking off' a cartridge, called a 'hang fire' if it fires; this happening is even more rare than a squib. I forget the recommended time the NRA recommends, but generally a few seconds up to maybe 30 seconds is probably sufficient. I had a .22LR cartridge not fire in a revolver Saturday. Actually it was someone else shooting my gun. We waited a few seconds, then tried unsuccessfully to restrike it a couple more times. Usually they'll fire on a restrike if you rotate the shell slightly.

Another friend said when he was in artillery, they had a cook off after a failure to fire, about a minute and half later! Wowzers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom