• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigplayer2382

Jan 18, 2013
    Salisbury
    I want to build another AR15 in Maryland and want to know the current regulations now.

I am building a stripped lower receiver and going to pick it up. Do i specifically need to build it with a heavy barrel now? or can I just use a normal barrel as long as its 16"?

thanks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, I always say build it into a pistol first. That way, if you ever wanted to turn the lower BACK into a pistol, you'd be legal. Just throw a pistol buffer tube on it prior to slapping on the first upper and voila! it's a pistol. That being said, if it's a pre-ban lower meaning you owned it before 10/1/2013, you can build it anyway you want(except SBR without a stamp first). If it is a post-ban lower and you're building a 5.56/.223 it can be a pistol or a heavy barrel rifle or SBR assuming you get the appropriate stamp. Most larger calibers are automatically considered H-bars.

OK, I just re-read that you are picking up the lower making it a post-ban lower.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can make it into:

1) A pistol. Meaning NO shoulder stock attached to the lower ever. Any barrel length.

2) HBAR - heavy barrel rifle, with shoulder stock and barrel (or barrel with perrmanently attached muzzle device) of more than 16"

3) SBR - Short Barrel Rifle. Rifle with shoulder stock and barrel less than 16". Must file a Form 1 and get it approved by BATFE before you build it. $200 tax. Any barrel profile. And currently, in MD, it must be a minimum of 29 inches overall length. But this may change, as Engage has a suit against MSP in the works.

You can, and many of us have, build it as a pistol, file the Form 1, and when that comes in (taking 2 - 3 months now) you can replace the pistol buffer with a shoulder stock.

Last edited:

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Maryland legal Ar-15

Attachments

• legalar-15.JPG
      legalar-15.JPG
      12.4 KB · Views: 730

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    For a rifle configuration, the overall barrel length, must be 16". This includes a muzzle break. The barrel width, must be at least .750" at the gas block. Hope this helps.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Well, I always say build it into a pistol first. That way, if you ever wanted to turn the lower BACK into a pistol, you'd be legal. Just throw a pistol buffer tube on it prior to slapping on the first upper and voila! it's a pistol. That being said, if it's a pre-ban lower meaning you owned it before 10/1/2013, you can build it anyway you want(except SBR without a stamp first). If it is a post-ban lower and you're building a 5.56/.223 it can be a pistol or a heavy barrel rifle or SBR assuming you get the appropriate stamp. Most larger calibers are automatically considered H-bars.

OK, I just re-read that you are picking up the lower making it a post-ban lower.

How in God's name is anyone going to know whether the lower was built into a pistol or a rifle first? You could build a pistol and immediately slap a rifle upper and buffer on it a minute later....

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    How in God's name is anyone going to know whether the lower was built into a pistol or a rifle first? You could build a pistol and immediately slap a rifle upper and buffer on it a minute later....

You'll know. Instead of lieing if you were asked, you just tell the truth. Lies are hard to remember and, they're lies.

It only takes a couple of minutes and is worth it.

SCDoGo

Dec 6, 2014

The same way they would know that you shouldered your SB-15, if you admit to it or post info online about it. As long as it was transferred as "other" and you have the correct components available, it would be hard to prove otherwise if you say it was originally configured as a pistol.

Of course, building it first as a pistol and then changing out the buffer/upper, really isn't that much work.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You'll know. Instead of lieing if you were asked, you just tell the truth. Lies are hard to remember and, they're lies.

It only takes a couple of minutes and is worth it.

:thumbsup: If we had a dollar every time the question got asked.:)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For a rifle configuration, the overall barrel length, must be 16". This includes a muzzle break. The barrel width, must be at least .750" at the gas block. Hope this helps.

1) Muzzle brake/flash suppressor has to be PERMANENTLY installed to count. Meaning silver soldered or pinned and welded.

2) Nowhere is there ANY dimensions for the barrel specified. If the manufacturer says it is a "heavy" barrel, it IS an HBAR. If they say it is mid weight or say nothing, no matter what the dimensions, you could be skirting an issue.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Some people have to pass polygraphs or have a periodic background investigation. And do not like having to lie when doing it.

And then there are people who don't care, and talk about it in public forums.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Some people have to pass polygraphs or have a periodic background investigation. And do not like having to lie when doing it.

And then there are people who don't care, and talk about it in public forums.

Meh, anyone can beat a poolygraph. Saw it in a movie :popcorn:

In all seriousness, I'm not suggesting anyone break the law. But outside of talking about it on the internet, the whole "was it a pistol or rifle first? " or "did you really step foot just over the state line to remove that mag block?" things are ridiculous results of ludicrous "laws"

But we already knew that right?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Meh, anyone can beat a poolygraph. Saw it in a movie :popcorn:

In all seriousness, I'm not suggesting anyone break the law. But outside of talking about it on the internet, the whole "was it a pistol or rifle first? " or "did you really step foot just over the state line to remove that mag block?" things are ridiculous results of ludicrous "laws"

But we already knew that right?

Yes, we do.

Some will follow the law. Some will not. It will be hard for the state to prove either way.

But those who do follow the law, will sleep better. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IF the barrel is under 16" without a muzzle device.

I said TO COUNT, meaning towards the barrel length.

And it does not matter how long the barrel is.

If you have a 25" barrel and weld/pin a 6" muzzle device, according to ATF, you have a 31" barrel.

Of course, the only time you really CARE is to make your "official" barrel length over 16".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom