• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Was just talking to some of the Schillinger family (Papa John's Farm on New Cut Road), and was told they were snapped up through Eminent Domain for a new High School, and that this will be their last season there.

We haven't heard anything about this, and I find it quite astounding. Does anyone have any information about this? About the only thing I can think of that makes any sense is that they are relocating Old Mill HS, and redeveloping the middle schools where they are??

As for the family, they say they'll be fine. They're headed to the Eastern Shore to farm, but likely not open up shop again.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Used to work right down the road, they were looking to sell and get out of the area. County could have threatened ED to keep it from becoming more apartments, but they were closing up shop no matter what.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    They willingly sold it to aaco. They had wanted to get rid of it for some time as the younger generation didn't want to deal with it and the ones running it were getting older. Each of the 12 owners wanted to walk with 1 million after taxes, which is what they got.

I forgot to add that the family is leasing the property back, with continuing options until construction starts to run the farm. I think the lease is $1 per year.

Mr H

Banana'd
    They willingly sold it to aaco. They had wanted to get rid of it for some time as the younger generation didn't want to deal with it and the ones running it were getting older. Each of the 12 owners wanted to walk with 1 million after taxes, which is what they got.

I forgot to add that the family is leasing the property back, with continuing options until construction starts to run the farm. I think the lease is $1 per year.

Some of this is in conflict with my conversation today, but the details aren't all that significant.

Several of the family are setting up on the Eastern Shore, "grain farming, just us and the tractors", so they're not getting out entirely.

The kids have been pushing the folks to retire, what with all the medical and stress issues of the business/stand side of things.

It's possible we're talking to different people with different goals, but the core bits remain... they will be closing, and there are apparently several family dynamics in play.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Farm sold in 2017 for $13 million, “design concept” approved for $8 MILLION. Hell, give me $1 million and I’ll design a school! Wonder what the cost for actually building the school will be? Didn’t see anything about confiscation of the property tho.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I thought I read an article about it when the sale took place saying it was the end of the last significant farming acreage north of the South River in AACo

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Farm sold in 2017 for $13 million, “design concept” approved for $8 MILLION. Hell, give me $1 million and I’ll design a school! Wonder what the cost for actually building the school will be? Didn’t see anything about confiscation of the property tho.

$80-100 million to build a ground up new high school these days.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Some of this is in conflict with my conversation today, but the details aren't all that significant.

Several of the family are setting up on the Eastern Shore, "grain farming, just us and the tractors", so they're not getting out entirely.

The kids have been pushing the folks to retire, what with all the medical and stress issues of the business/stand side of things.

It's possible we're talking to different people with different goals, but the core bits remain... they will be closing, and there are apparently several family dynamics in play.

My conversation was from a couple years ago when they were negotiating with the county. It took a while to negotiate. Could be sellers remorse. It might actually be 10 owners, not 12. They were happy at the time. That's all I know.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I would expect this to be much higher because it's not just the building.

How much did Crofton cost?

Yeah, looks like I was low - Wendi Winters High School was around $125 million.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    They just published today a $150mil figure for a new high school in Georgetown, DE. A remodel of a current school complex was $167mil (IIRC).

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Old Mill Rumor Mill (two years ago).....and I'm glad my kids are out....

New Center for Applied Technology and Old Mill High School at the current Old Mill Complex. New buildings on fields on either side of current complex. New fields where current building is.

New Middle School at Southgate Park.

New Middle School at current CATN site.

New High School at Papa Johns.

This will be a total CF as far as traffic goes....

Two High Schools (New AACO & Archbishop Spaulding) facing each other on New Cut Road

The secondary access to one High School (Spaulding) across Stevenson Road from the new Middle School (much higher student load and different schedules than CATN)

Traffic at I97 exit and Veteran's is already FUBAR in AM.

Like I said, glad I'm out....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Old Mill Rumor Mill (two years ago).....and I'm glad my kids are out....

New Center for Applied Technology and Old Mill High School at the current Old Mill Complex. New buildings on fields on either side of current complex. New fields where current building is.

New Middle School at Southgate Park.

New Middle School at current CATN site.

New High School at Papa Johns.

This will be a total CF as far as traffic goes....

Two High Schools (New AACO & Archbishop Spaulding) facing each other on New Cut Road

The secondary access to one High School (Spaulding) across Stevenson Road from the new Middle School (much higher student load and different schedules than CATN)

Traffic at I97 exit and Veteran's is already FUBAR in AM.

Like I said, glad I'm out....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Ah crap. My son will be going to Spalding the following year. Not cool. Horrible logistical thinking by AA.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Severna Park high was rebuilt a few years ago, want to say completed in 2016 or 2017. That cost $130 million and was a new rebuild. Most likely will cost more than that. Parking lots, sports fields, roads etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if by completion $150- 200 million.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom