• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I am very familiar with black powder revolvers.

Never had a blackpowder rifle. It’s one thing I really know very little about and before doing my dive down the research rabbit hole, I was thinking I’d ask advice first.

Interested in obtaining one, nothing too nice but not junk.

Familiar with the brand names but not their reputation or features. I’ve been looking at the CVA Optima V2.... any suggestions there would be appreciated.

I don’t know exactly what to look for in them, the pros and cons of each kind.

I do know I’m interested in an inline.

Help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’m more into traditional muzzleloaders, not inlines but with that said, I’ve never been a fan of any CVA muzzleloaders.
    Send a little more money and get a Thompson Center (TC)

I’ve had inlines made buy both CVA and TC. The TC is so much better built, leaps ahead of CVA.

Yes the white muzzleloaders, like in the classifieds is nice, but they are expensive.
    Hopefully this helps.

brucaru

Sep 14, 2011
    I also didn’t want to drop a lot of cash on a muzzle loader. I purchased a CVA optima V2 on sale. I use two white hot pellets and a 245 hrs TC bullet which I believe are Barnes bullets but I might be wrong. Anyway, two inch groups at 75 yards all day long using the cheap Kong’s shape that came with the package deal. I think the biggest problem is some folks over power the bullet by using 3 pellets. Two pellets will do the job just fine. Good luck with whatever you choose

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I also didn’t want to drop a lot of cash on a muzzle loader. I purchased a CVA optima V2 on sale. I use two white hot pellets and a 245 hrs TC bullet which I believe are Barnes bullets but I might be wrong. Anyway, two inch groups at 75 yards all day long using the cheap Kong’s shape that came with the package deal. I think the biggest problem is some folks over power the bullet by using 3 pellets. Two pellets will do the job just fine. Good luck with whatever you choose

Do you have to use pellets or can you use granulated regular FFg or FFFg?

This is an across the board question.

All good feedback gents, thank you.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I have a SS Remington 700ml, a blued knight and a cheapy SS CVA Wolf. I paid $180 for the CVA brand new.

By far, I like the CVA best. Shorter barrel, extremely lightweight, super easy to break down and clean and the tool less breach plug is effortless to use.

I camoed the stock and put a Burris 3-9×40 on it. Shoots ~2" groups at 100 all day long.

Great little rig.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    You can use either powder, substitutes like Pyrodex, White Hots or the subs in pellets. In an inline I like the pellets easy removal at the end of the day. As Brucara stated, even if rated for a magnum charge I've found a bit below that is most accurate. In mine that is two pellets. In my traditional rifle it likes 90 grains of powder over the higher charges. BTW I use an inexpensive TC. The Impact, think they run about $250.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Thanks pale rider.

I’m interested in opinions/ experiences with the low-middle end of CVA vs the TCs. My understanding is that S&W bought out TC at some point. How do the new vs old compare?

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I have the older CVA Optima Pro. Easy take down and cleaning. Never had any issues with it. Killed every deer I hit. Two pellets and a 245 gr aero tip. I also have a recently acquired TC Encore. Shot several times at the range without issue but a little harder to take down for cleaning. I also know 3 people with CVA Wolfs, no issues but a lot cheaper cost. Encore is real nice feeling and gives you options if you have the version that allows switch out of calibers and therefore higher price. Whatever in-line you get I recommend 209 primer not old school 11 caps

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am very familiar with black powder revolvers.

Never had a blackpowder rifle. It’s one thing I really know very little about and before doing my dive down the research rabbit hole, I was thinking I’d ask advice first.

Interested in obtaining one, nothing too nice but not junk.

Familiar with the brand names but not their reputation or features. I’ve been looking at the CVA Optima V2.... any suggestions there would be appreciated.

I don’t know exactly what to look for in them, the pros and cons of each kind.

I do know I’m interested in an inline.

Help me out?

Thanks in advance!

IMHO, I really like my CVA Wolf. My hunting is pretty much all 100yds and less. Deer isn’t going to notice 50-100fps difference of being a 24” barrel rather than a 26”, 28” or 30”. If I was shooting to 200+ regularly I’d want a longer barrel. Handier. I had some issues last year with 777 powder in it, I think it had spoiled. Shimmed the firing pin/primer breech face (CVA carries the shims) as I also noticed it screwed in enough to be slightly recessed.

With Hornady XTP 240gr .44 mag billets and harvester green sabots on top of 95gr of Blackhorn 209 and CCI Magnum 209 primers it’s punching about 1.5” groups at 100yds and a 1-4x scope. I am going to try 300gr .44 mag bullets for this coming season.

So far I’ve had 3 kills with it. First was a big 8 point and it was broadside on. Double lung, but exit. Next was a small doe and spined it, but exit. Most recent was a really big 5-pt heart shot, but bullet was angling up and lodged in the muscle just under the opposite hide, slight quartering angle and the longest bullet path. Anyway, from test data I’ve seen a 300gr bullet is only going to lose about 80-100fps of velocity compared to a 240gr. So you get a lot more energy, better BC and much better sectional density to ensure pass through.

I’ll probably also try 95, 100, 105 and 110gr loads to see what is the most accurate. I don’t need a 150gr charge. A lot more recoil and again, you are hammering yourself to get probably not even 200fps more velocity. When you are taking 1900FPS or so as it is, *shrug*.

Just my opinions. I’ve shot a couple of other guys MLs, but only owned the Wolf and it’s treated me well the last 4 seasons (it’s actually the first “firearm” I owned. So I guess I’ve got some sentimentality attached to it also).

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I have the CVA optima. Nice rifle. Just don’t shoot it enough. I have an ad up in the classifieds if you are interested. The price is negotiable.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    The V2 CVA rifles are amazing. The no-tool breech plug is what sold it for me. Now, I dropped a little extra on the Accura Mountain Nitride Rifle and use two white hot pellets pushing a 265gr 45LC controlled fracturing bullet in a sabot from Lehigh Defense and shoot sub moa all day. If I load up the Extreme Penetrator, I can shoot cloverleafs.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Check out the TC Impact. I picked one up last year for $175 delivered with the rebate they were offering. I slapped the TC scope mount and a SIG Whiskey 3 scope on it and have just over $300 in it. Extremely accurate and easy to clean. I still own my old TC White Mountain Carbine for when I feel like going the traditional route. I sold a Remington 700ML and it was very accurate but it was a bit heavy and I saw no reason for a bolt on an inline.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I sold a Remington 700ML and it was very accurate but it was a bit heavy and I saw no reason for a bolt on an inline.

Not to mention the toolbox full of tools one needs to take the thing apart!

I've heard of people converting them to smokeless powder. Not sure what's involved.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have everything from traditional to inline rifles and pistols, including a T/C Impact rifle and CVA Optima pistol. I like them both very much. They offer great features, accuracy, and value. I think in the range you are looking at, you really can't go wrong with what's available -- they all shoot. It comes down to personal preference. If we can hook up, you are welcome to try whatever I have to help you decide. Gimme a call!

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I bought CVA Optima V2 a few years ago as my first muzzleloader and I love it! Light to carry, compact, accurate, simple...great for stands, blinds or spot and stalk.

I've taken a number of deer with it, all 75 yards or less and never had to shoot one twice. Wouldn't hesitate to take shots to 150 yards. I use 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 and 250 grain Shockwave bullets. This load gives me 2 inch groups at 100 yards and incredible results on deer.

Highly recommend the Optima V2 for first ML rifle!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have everything from traditional to inline rifles and pistols, including a T/C Impact rifle and CVA Optima pistol. I like them both very much. They offer great features, accuracy, and value. I think in the range you are looking at, you really can't go wrong with what's available -- they all shoot. It comes down to personal preference. If we can hook up, you are welcome to try whatever I have to help you decide. Gimme a call!

That is a great offer that you should take up. Each person is different sizes, stocks fit differently, etc.

I have a TC Omega, that is 10+ years old. Shoots wonderful, cloverleaf at 100 yards.

I've noticed that deer shot with the muzzle loader tend to not drop and run further than with a bow/rifle. Guessing the bullet(tipped HP) and the slow speeds have something to do with it.

Good luck in your search. For me...the inline 209's are the way to go. Simple and most are easy to clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom