• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Anyone point bullets? Worth the time? A buddy I shoot with points his and stated that his vertical stringing went away.

I'm thinking since I already have the Giraud trimmer, for $80 + shipping, I've wasted more money on stuff that doesn't work.

Obviously you loose BC, but as long as its repeatable, I can adjust for it. This may seem silly to some, but I'm chasing a 1/2 MOA X ring, so 1.5" makes a big difference at 600 yard.

I will likely just trim them and not repoint, thoughts?

http://www.giraudtool.com/meplat.htm

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    You hunting chipmunks at 600 yards? ;)

I'm chasing a 1/2 MOA or 3.1" circle at 600 yards, will the wind being a factor and my poor form, I still manage to shoot a 3/4 out of 20 outside the 6" circle. Looking for ways to not points, besides getting someone else to shoot my gun lol

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm chasing a 1/2 MOA or 3.1" circle at 600 yards, will the wind being a factor and my poor form, I still manage to shoot a 3/4 out of 20 outside the 6" circle. Looking for ways to not points, besides getting someone else to shoot my gun lol
    That's a point.. gun probably accurate to gnat size at 600. If the guy pulling the trigger is not.. start there.

Unless you know that it is the reload.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Check out the USAMU facebook page for tips on loading. I think they had something up recently about the methods they use to select bullets for long range.
    You will need to trim before pointing your bullets. Sorting them by weight helps.
    Or you can just buy Bergers and shoot. :D
    Uniforming case necks is a big help as far as consistency.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok, if you can tell the difference of 1.5in, you can shoot, your rifle setup is probably decent, and your precisuon loading probably has the usual basics under control.

So go for it. Might get you there, if not you still eliminate the variable to move on to somthing else subtle.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Check out the USAMU facebook page for tips on loading. I think they had something up recently about the methods they use to select bullets for long range.
    You will need to trim before pointing your bullets. Sorting them by weight helps.
    Or you can just buy Bergers and shoot. :D
    Uniforming case necks is a big help as far as consistency.

I don't have facebook but I will see what I can find on the page thanks.

Im using the 107SMKs in my 6mmBR. I sort the cases by weight, the bullets by weight already.... I haven't tried the 105gr bergers yet as they weren't available when I was load testing. Case necks are good... nailed down .267 neck bushing and seating depth....I think. I really just need to buy a hand press and mess with seating depths at the range, load long (against lands) and drop .002" each few. If they don't touch, move on.

I'm thinking I'm just gonna trim and not point them if I can get away with it. I spend enough time at the reloading bench already, I don't want to point bullets if I don't have to.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Haven't gone that far myself.

I've actually gone the opposite way - How to do the LEAST amount of work, to hit on my most stable load (not most accurate, but stable). You already state that you know you have to work on your form, so the less work you have to do at the bench equates to (ideally) more time behind the rifle.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I know it seems crazy to spend this much time trimming bullets but the SMKs aren't very uniform to begin with. A good shooting buddy swears by it, went from low 590s to 598/599s just from trimming/pointing with the 107 SMKs.

Well I'm thinking it's my form at least, the gun will probably shoot 600s all day. But I'm in the low 590s now and looking to get in the upper 590s.

I think I will pull the trigger, lots of this sport is in your head. If i think my ammo is perfect, maybe I will shoot better lol

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think I will pull the trigger, lots of this sport is in your head. If i think my ammo is perfect, maybe I will shoot better lol

I forget who exactly, may have been Tubbs was going a major comp. Did his reloading, checked all the every single round and set aside the most perfect rounds for the comp.

He goes, he wins. On the way home, he realizes instead of the "perfect" rounds, he had picked up and shot the rejects.

But during the match, he THOUGHT he was shooting the most perfect rounds he could make. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom