• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    All adults have at least been accidentally cut, its a terrible experience. Even a finger prick or slice is very memorable.

Most people have never been shot by a firearm, those shooting injuries are equally or more horrific.

All the same, most people have a greater healthy respect for edged weapons over guns.

The intent of this thread is to remind us of the extreme danger of edged weapons. I contend, in the closest of quarters, a knife is potentially a more deadly weapon than a firearm.

Post your knife attack stories/images/videos here.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Final warning.

4189_13_86-knife-fighting-wounds.jpg

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have been looking into defensive knife fighting techniques for a while now. It is absolutely brutal stuff.

While Most of it isn't practical in the real world, you could still put a world of hurt on someone real quick with good knife techniques.

Some of the cuts I have seen in videos are damn near enough to make you queasy without actually being there in person.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    hmm. :smoke: when someone says they carry a knife for self protection, i usually ask if they have been professionally trained with said defense device. 100% NO. then i ask if they ever have stabbed a MAMMAL to death. 100% NO. it may serve a a GREAT deterrent to an assault, but it is NOT an ideal first defense in light of what is available. blood stinks, messy, as slick as 30w oil and the human body can withstand many "cuts" before bleeding out. in that time they can continue to kill you. watch some live leak videos from brazil and you'll see what i mean. or go kill a deserving mammal by blade :smoke:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    hmm. :smoke: when someone says they carry a knife for self protection, i usually ask if they have been professionally trained with said defense device. 100% NO. then i ask if they ever have stabbed a MAMMAL to death. 100% NO. it may serve a a GREAT deterrent to an assault, but it is NOT an ideal first defense in light of what is available. blood stinks, messy, as slick as 30w oil and the human body can withstand many "cuts" before bleeding out. in that time they can continue to kill you. watch some live leak videos from brazil and you'll see what i mean. or go kill a deserving mammal by blade :smoke:

I see your point. Hell, some of the machete attack videos last for a few minutes and they both walk away.

I have seen said videos. But in a place where one cannot carry a firearm for the reason of self and family protection, I will take a knife rather than nothing.

No REAL formal training, and no never stabbed a person or mammal...... But at least a fighting chance better than a fist.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I have

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have been looking into defensive knife fighting techniques for a while now. It is absolutely brutal stuff.

While Most of it isn't practical in the real world, you could still put a world of hurt on someone real quick with good knife techniques.

Some of the cuts I have seen in videos are damn near enough to make you queasy without actually being there in person.

First rule of knife fighting, don't let the adversary know you have a knife. After that, a knife is pointless and the fight changes.

cb51

I see your point. Hell, some of the machete attack videos last for a few minutes and they both walk away.

I have seen said videos. But in a place where one cannot carry a firearm for the reason of self and family protection, I will take a knife rather than nothing.

No REAL formal training, and no never stabbed a person or mammal...... But at least a fighting chance better than a fist.

If you are someplace you can't carry a gun, you probably won't be able to carry much of a knife. And a knife is abut as lousy a self defense werapon as you can get. Much better off with some kind of stout stick like a walking stick made from blackthorn or iron wood. Even goes onto airplanes right past TSA security.

I've been carrying a stick for something for 40 years, used one twice on two legged varmints and it ended the problem immediately. Used one once for an off leash pit bull and it worked immediately for that too.

I keep some in a umbrella rack by the door, and grab one on the way out.
    9523721754_6d9b9fdd46_c.jpg
    [/url]Untitled by Carl Levitan, on Flickr[/IMG]

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    First rule of knife fighting, don't let the adversary know you have a knife. After that, a knife is pointless and the fight changes.

If you are someplace you can't carry a gun, you probably won't be able to carry much of a knife. And a knife is abut as lousy a self defense werapon as you can get. Much better off with some kind of stout stick like a walking stick made from blackthorn or iron wood. Even goes onto airplanes right past TSA security.

I've been carrying a stick for something for 40 years, used one twice on two legged varmints and it ended the problem immediately. Used one once for an off leash pit bull and it worked immediately for that too.

I keep some in a umbrella rack by the door, and grab one on the way out.
    9523721754_6d9b9fdd46_c.jpg

Both good bits of information. Wouldn't have thought of a simple walking stick. That is interesting. The place I was referring to not being able to carry a gun is Maryland by the way.

Much more useful than immediate criticism.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't have a picture, but I was there during a table saw accident. That got ugly pretty quick.

cb51

Both good bits of information. Wouldn't have thought of a simple walking stick. That is interesting. The place I was referring to not being able to carry a gun is Maryland by the way.

Much more useful than immediate criticism.

Yes, living in The Peoples Republik Of Maryland was restrictive and a stout stick was needed. Now I have moved to Texas and have my carry license. It's a weird feeling that my home state, that I lived most of my life in, paid a lot of taxes in, never trusted me enough to let me carry. Yet having been in Texas since the 2d of November and settling on our house the 20th of November, Texas trusts me enough to let me excursus ALL of my constitutional rights.

But I still believe in following the advise of Teddy Roosevelt about speaking softly and carrying a big stick. :)

Way less legal trouble than a knife when used. If you think the legal bills for George Zimmerman were stiff from shooting some attacker just once, try stabbing and slashing some low life many times, and that's what it's going to take for a knife wound to stop someone. In court, they will make you look like a new age Jack the ripper. Plus, in these days of blood carried pathogens like aids and other stuff, do you really want some druggie's blood all over you?

Nobody ever got in much trouble for breaking some would be mugger punk's arm or kneecap. The bones in the hand and wrist break surprisingly easy, as does collar bones and noses.

If I can't have a gun, and even if I can, I love a nice blunt force trauma weapon. I'll reserve my pocket knife for whittling and opening my mail. If someone I don't know approaches me my stick is already right there in my right hand, ready to swing. Coming up low and fast by surprise is devastating to cajones. Think golf driving; Foooouuurrrr! Wack! Works every time.

And who would ever suspect this nice older gentleman to be armed and ready to do great harm to the bone structure of whomever?
    9710257215_4e212ca025_c.jpg

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    The remnants of a significant amount of edged trauma....yeah there's more but I'd have to expose more of myself than you all want to see...getting cut sucks. My advice is if you're going to get into a knife fight, take a gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 826

cb51

There's a couple of huge problems of pulling a knife on someone who is either fighting you, or trying to assault you.

1. If they are unarmed, and you are just trying to avoid getting your a$$ kicked, and you stab him, the jury is going to look at you like you're a blood thirsty maniac. The DA is going to make himself look good by convicting you of the attack, and given the attitudes of people these days he won't have a hard time of it. Shooting someone is bad enough trouble, but knifing them is going to be worse. Knives are the weapons of punks and thugs in most peoples eyes. They also lack the stopping power of a gun and you'll have to stab repeatedly to stop the attack, and that's going to look really bad in court. And like a gun, you use a knife on someone, and you WILL be in court to explain in front of a jury why you stabbed Leroy 17 time with a knife that the assistant DA will show the jury how the blade flips out in a flash. You are gonna look like mud when he's done with you.

2. You're in a pinch, and you pull a knife. Then the guys buddy who's watching, pulls a gun and shoots you. It happens. I grew up in a not so good part of D.C. and street thugs work in tows and threes. There's the lookout, who is packing, and the guy who goes up and does the mugging by showing you a knife that he's stolen from a discount store or his Aunts kitchen, and the frightened victim hands over his wallet and cell phone. The knife is for intimidation. It gets tossed down a sewer once they are around the corner. If the situation is bad enough that you have to pull a knife, then you're in deep dog poo because you're been dumb enough to get into a band situation and you're going to be outnumbers and you don't know it.

3. you pull a knife and then he pulls one. You're now in a knife fight, and thats the one place on earth you do not ever want to be in. I saw one real knife fight in my life, and I was 21 years old. To this day, this retired social security old fat won't even carry a knife that can be used for a fight. A small traditional pocket knife like a Case peanut or small keychain size Swiss Army knife is not going to temp me into stupidity.

I joined the army to get out of the neighborhood I was in, and while at AIT I saw two young soldiers get into ti. One had sold the other a bagged of pot, and the bagged was "light" according to the one. They started with fists, but one pulled his PX Buck knife and the then the other one did too. When it was over in a very little time, one was dead, ad the other was in very critical condition. They carved each oterh good enough that they got a water truck up from the motor pool to hose down the pavement. Yeah, it was that bad!!!! I never knew the human body had that much blood in it, let alone two of them.

If I don't have a gun and someone pulls a knife on me, I'm leaving at high speed. I'll use a bar stool, beer pitcher, dinner plate, fire extinguisher, pool stick, tree branch, sofa cushion, frying pan, large crescent wrench, broom stick, ball peen hammer, trash can, or any other sold object to block with and retreat. Unlike a gun, a knife can't hurt you if it can't touch you, so you keep away from it while retreating. But it's the highest form of folly to engage a knife with another knife. I can't think of any situation where pulling a knife is not going to make the situation worse.

When I got older, it was only then that I comprehended and understood why the 'older' men in our neighborhood all carried some kind of stick. It may have been a nice city stick with a brass head, or a very rustic walking stick that was an oak tree limb, or a piece of folk art with african carvings. But they all carried one, and the young punks stayed away from them.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Excellent cane fighting video. I have all of George's DVDs, and after meeting him, have picked up several more of his excellent self defense items.

Never been stabbed. Still, couldn't resist joining this thread.

Caption for my Google search x-ray submission is "Pass the butter, b!tch!" :D

Ouch!

Would be funny, if not such a horrible wound. Always wondered why no one teaches a butter knife self defense class, they are everywhere.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads