• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    We get literally thousands of cat thefts, usually costs between $1,000 and $2,000 to replace, street value of a stolen cat is $50-$100. We have had good luck with some theft detterent cages or alarms, basically thick wire or bars around the cat making it take a LOT longer to cut through, or rubber coated wires around it that set off a loud alarm when cut or shorted. There have been stings and arrests at salvage yards, and some companies are stamping their info on the cats to help police, but the problem isn't going away when someone with a cordless sawzall can make hundreds or thousands in one night with hundreds of unsecured company yards to choose from. Worst was a private elementary school that got all 3 busses hit in a parking lot while on a field trip, basically stranding about 50 kids a couple hours away from home.

ibanez320dx

New guy.
    Jun 2, 2013
    Rosedale
    yep, we've seen that a time or two :sad20:

in fact, we also had a plow truck stolen right off two sundays ago...

At JBA Chevy they have an empty lot across the street that they use to keep trucks. Someone stole all the tailgates and any headlights/grilles from unlocked trucks. It was pretty amazing lol.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    So how do you fence a catalytic convertor? Who buys them? Or do you actually salvage raw material from inside them first?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So how do you fence a catalytic convertor? Who buys them? Or do you actually salvage raw material from inside them first?

I think they just take them to a salvage yard...IDK though only thing Ive ever taken there is some scrap bolts and a radiator.

Outrider can you file a police report and insurance claim?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

You have to sell then whole. they pay very little for the raw material, bc the only way to verify the content and level of precious metals inside is to see the actual case of the converter.
    Also, they made it mandatory to have a recyclers license a few years ago in order to scrap converters. So you can be sure these thieves aren't getting full price from a scrap yard. They are selling them at probably 50% value to a legit recycler(someone who drives a truck around to shops and pays a fraction for steel, aluminum, etc and then sells to the scrap yard)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    You have to sell then whole. they pay very little for the raw material, bc the only way to verify the content and level of precious metals inside is to see the actual case of the converter.
    Also, they made it mandatory to have a recyclers license a few years ago in order to scrap converters. So you can be sure these thieves aren't getting full price from a scrap yard. They are selling them at probably 50% value to a legit recycler(someone who drives a truck around to shops and pays a fraction for steel, aluminum, etc and then sells to the scrap yard)

Prob some meth/crack heads...stealing anything for a $1:sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think they just take them to a salvage yard...IDK though only thing Ive ever taken there is some scrap bolts and a radiator.

Outrider can you file a police report and insurance claim?

Did an on line po-po report and it was 'excepted' by them as legit. Prolly a no-go on insurance as it happened at my shop not my house(home owners ins.) and I don't carry full coverage on a 17 year old work van. Cost of doing business, I guess. Earlier this year they hit the shop next door's trucks for the same thing...4 or 5 vans.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Junkies selling the platinum inside. Nice, huh? Try to have something and dome lowlife literally rips it away.

beat me to it. Even if they can't find a place to sell the part it's self, they can sell the platinum

****ing degenerates, and yet if you had caught him in the act and beaten him within an inch of his life YOU would be the one in trouble

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Makes sense.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    We get literally thousands of cat thefts, usually costs between $1,000 and $2,000 to replace, street value of a stolen cat is $50-$100. We have had good luck with some theft detterent cages or alarms, basically thick wire or bars around the cat making it take a LOT longer to cut through, or rubber coated wires around it that set off a loud alarm when cut or shorted. There have been stings and arrests at salvage yards, and some companies are stamping their info on the cats to help police, but the problem isn't going away when someone with a cordless sawzall can make hundreds or thousands in one night with hundreds of unsecured company yards to choose from. Worst was a private elementary school that got all 3 busses hit in a parking lot while on a field trip, basically stranding about 50 kids a couple hours away from home.

informative.

Also, I just finally noticed your quote.

"For great justice"

You awesome, awesome bastard:party29:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You can get remans, I've heard. I'm hoping my mech. finds one. My truck isn't worth a new $2000 cat.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

In MD it is illegal to sell a catalytic converter unless you are "in the business" (repair shop, etc). I would suspect that the thieves probably have a connection somewhere that buys them.

Prior to the law change I sold a cat out of an old benz for $125 to a scrap yard.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    In MD it is illegal to sell a catalytic converter unless you are "in the business" (repair shop, etc). I would suspect that the thieves probably have a connection somewhere that buys them.

Prior to the law change I sold a cat out of an old benz for $125 to a scrap yard.

yep. Some are worth some serious money, others are nearly worthless. I work at a shop, so we can sell them. I got maybe $30 for a Hyundai converter and over $200 for one out of a lexus :whoa:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom