• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a strange one. A while back I picked up a 49’ 1894 Winchester. I love the rifle but the rear sight is very strange and I do not care for it. I am not sure if it were some kind of bubba addition, or a quick aperture option back in the day. It is loose and I am not taking it in the woods like this.

Either way can anyone tell me what it would be and if I can simply get the correct factory let’s to make it correct.

Attachments

• 2FF47CFA-E8FD-495A-A4B6-3F9FFD1BE61D.jpg
      2FF47CFA-E8FD-495A-A4B6-3F9FFD1BE61D.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 234
    • 806E4522-9172-4F65-80B0-2EAD744240E2.jpg
      806E4522-9172-4F65-80B0-2EAD744240E2.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 215
    • F2864B4B-B403-4874-A007-EEFC6DD671C8.jpg
      F2864B4B-B403-4874-A007-EEFC6DD671C8.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 208

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I would keep that sight. Might be a frozen spring loaded detent or the screw is loose. It looks like only one hole was drilled and tapped instead of two. Either way, I’d keep it.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I would keep that sight. Might be a frozen spring loaded detent or the screw is loose. It looks like only one hole was drilled and tapped instead of two. Either way, I’d keep it.

It actually bore sights correctly and would be fast in the woods. So you are thinking optional sight for the period that was installed halfway? I can see that.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I think that it was meant to have the ring sight to be able to swing up and out of the way.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Hey this looks familiar, haha.

I asked about that rear sight when I bought it. My understanding was that it was an option back in the day, but I did not research to see if that was the case.

Makes sense. I haven't really been able to find anything in photos that is the same. The damn thing does look to form to the original sight perfectly. I'm thinking a half ass job installing it. Now I just have to figure out if I keep it on there or try to find original parts to make it right again. I suppose it could technically be tapped on the other side or fastened in some way so it does not move around. Even with the screw tightened it is still movable and sits on an angle with the slightest movement.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Nothing wrong with that. I'm going to take this one out this year for rifle and see if I can take a deer with it. Some may say I'm nuts to take this rifle out in the woods, but that's what It is for.

I have 3 Pre 64 Model 94's in 30-30, that I would not hesitate to take out deer hunting, but the one with a Lyman peep sight would be my first choice, over the other 2 with the Buck Horn sights.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Oh I'd absolutely do the same thing. What ammo did you end up using?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Have not shot it yet. Will do when I get this sight situation handled. Going to be hard to sight in if the aperture moves every time it fires. I had honestly thought of JB Welding the damn thing in place and making sure it was secured completely.

Before anyone shoots a fireball at me for the JB Weld thing, remember that the original sight has pieces missing and a hole has been drilled in it that isn't supposed to be there in the first place. At least if the sight addition were secured it would be usable.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have 3 Pre 64 Model 94's in 30-30, that I would not hesitate to take out deer hunting, but the one with a Lyman peep sight would be my first choice, over the other 2 with the Buck Horn sights.

My one and only deer was taken with a 1958 Model 94 with buck horns. I can see where the peep would be a little better though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom