• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hey, I ain't that old but I did get a call today to sign me up for Medicare but yes it would be nice to have softer shooting gun. Chris

See if you can find the benelli super black eagle series or the stoeger equilivent. I paid a premium for mine but it's my go to and I got it when it came out. It's killed geese, snow geese, squirrels, and deer. Using federal tactical slugs I'm solid up to 110 yards. You can find them on the second hand market and haggle below your budget but it's never let me down.

That being said I also have an old ass 11-48 16 gauge that I'll never sell

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I would like to thank all that chimed in with their thoughts about what guns are out all there and what they have used/liked. I will be going to NRA Outdoors show next month in Harrisburg, I know many of the makers/dealers will there to touch and feel. Thanks Chris.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would like to thank all that chimed in with their thoughts about what guns are out all there and what they have used/liked. I will be going to NRA Outdoors show next month in Harrisburg, I know many of the makers/dealers will there to touch and feel. Thanks Chris.

Let us know what you end up with Chris?

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Well I ended up with a nice clean Remington 11-87 SP 12 ga at Ricks Gun & Pawn. Came with the 26" bird killer now all I need is a slug barrel and I'm ready. I haven't shot it yet but I understand they are soft shooting guns. I'll take it out to the trap range to see. Thanks for all the input, Chris

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well I ended up with a nice clean Remington 11-87 SP 12 ga at Ricks Gun & Pawn. Came with the 26" bird killer now all I need is a slug barrel and I'm ready. I haven't shot it yet but I understand they are soft shooting guns. I'll take it out to the trap range to see. Thanks for all the input, Chris

If I didn't already, I suggest you have a smith pin your slug barrel for consistent accuracy.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    If I didn't already, I suggest you have a smith pin your slug barrel for consistent accuracy.

I was going to get a Remington cantilever barrel, figuring that would remove inconsistent accuracy. Enlighten me if this is not the case, I have been shooting rifled bolt guns for the last 20 years, this is the first semi-auto shotgun for me in as many years.
    Chris

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    11-87 in 20 gauge is the ticket.
    Agreed.

I currently have a rifled, scoped 870 as my main slug gun and a rifled, scoped 1100 as a spare, both in 12 gauge. I shoot 2-3/4" saboted slugs through them.

If I was starting over from scratch right now, I'd get myself a fully rifled 1100 or 11-87 in 20 gauge with a cantilever rail for a scope. Slug technology has come a long way, both with respect to accuracy, terminal performance and improved trajectory and the 20 gauge lacks nothing. I set up a 20 gauge slug gun for a friend last fall and that thing was shooting cloverleaf groups at 50 yards. As always, shot placement is the critical factor and the 20 has PLENTY of power, after all, you can kill deer with a sharp stick.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I was going to get a Remington cantilever barrel, figuring that would remove inconsistent accuracy. Enlighten me if this is not the case, I have been shooting rifled bolt guns for the last 20 years, this is the first semi-auto shotgun for me in as many years.
    Chris
    A fully rifled barrel with a decent scope will shoot as well as your bolt guns.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    A fully rifled barrel with a decent scope will shoot as well as your bolt guns.
    To certain distance..

But then again..you (eshell) prolly can shoot anything past 1000 yards.. Lol

:)

I have 870 smooth bore.. its good up to 100 yds.

I have Beretta extrema with rifled barrel... It shoots great. I personally haven't test it past 100 yards..

But then again..lucky if I can get to hunt in any place in so MD longer than 100yds. Lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Agreed.

I currently have a rifled, scoped 870 as my main slug gun and a rifled, scoped 1100 as a spare, both in 12 gauge. I shoot 2-3/4" saboted slugs through them.

If I was starting over from scratch right now, I'd get myself a fully rifled 1100 or 11-87 in 20 gauge with a cantilever rail for a scope. Slug technology has come a long way, both with respect to accuracy, terminal performance and improved trajectory and the 20 gauge lacks nothing. I set up a 20 gauge slug gun for a friend last fall and that thing was shooting cloverleaf groups at 50 yards. As always, shot placement is the critical factor and the 20 has PLENTY of power, after all, you can kill deer with a sharp stick.

Third this.

Clif

Dec 3, 2012
    I've hade my 11-87 SP sine late 86? early 87?, bought a slug barrel from BassPro. It takes deer just fine, and with the original 26" shot barrel it does surprisingly well on the trap range. My original dealer said I got the first one ever delivered to Virginia.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Chris

I've got a Remington 870 w/ a fully rifled, cantilever scope mount barrel on it, and I put a Nikon 2-7x32x ProStaff scope on it.

This thing shoots!!!!!! 3 shots touching at 100 yards, with Winchester SSP12 Sabot Slugs.

My son has taken several deer with this set-up, with his first (and longest shot) being at 133 yards. 7 pt Buck. 174 lbs, dressed.
    The slug hit just above the heart (where he was aiming) and passed completely through, pulverizing the lungs.

I've talked to several local guys, and they say that the 20 ga slug guns are flatter shooting and just as accurate and deadly, as the 12 ga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom