• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Blaser R8 Ultimate rifle. You can swap barrels on it for a multitude of cartridges. It will cover pretty much everything he wants to hunt with a rifle. It can go from .22lr all the way up to .500 Jeffrey. Probably 25 cartridge options out of a single, premium high end rifle.

https://www.blaser.de/fileadmin/med...BLA_Folder_R8_Ultimate_210x297_neu_EN_web.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaser_R8#:~:text=The R8 is available in,Blaser R8 a modular firearm.

The number of cartridges for the R8 is just incredible. Granted, buying a barrel for the R8 will cost more than buying a Remington 700 and a cheap scope.

https://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/product/blaser-r8-standard-barrel/

Shotgun, Benelli or Beretta. I would take semi-autos from either and while Benelli does make an o/u, I would definitely go with a Beretta if I wanted an o/u. Don't get a field Beretta o/u though because I hate the automatic safety on them. So, it would have to be a "target" o/u for me.

For upland hunting, I would go with the Beretta SL3 o/u at a mere $20,000 or maybe the Beretta DT11 Black at a cheaper $11,000. I wish the DT11EELL had an option for game scenes on it, because that would be my 50th birthday present if it did. On the fence on what my present will be because neither the SL3 nor the DT11 Black is exactly what I want, and getting a nice target gun with game scenes is unobtainium right now since it would be close to $100,000 from Beretta. Then again, might just settle for the Beretta DT11L, even though I would prefer the larger side plates of the EELL.

For waterfowl hunting I would go with the Benelli Super Vinci or the Beretta Extreme. Both can be had at just south of $2,000.

As far as your friend being "rich", he isn't. I know people that have made $150k/year for 20 years, and now a couple of them are without a job and eating into savings. Until he is at a point where he can stop working and live off of what he has until he reaches 90 years of age, he isn't "rich".

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    A deer gun:
    A bear, moose, elk, mule deer and bison gun:
    A lever action rifle in 45/70 caliber; Straight cartridges' from 300 to 500 grain shells, can now be used in all of MD for hunting deer and will do a great job on larger game.

An upland gun:
    A waterfowl gun:
    12 gauge over/under shot gun with removable chokes, I have a Mossberg Silver for many years and prefer it over others which I have owned.

A small game gun:
    Any lever action or bolt action 22, they typically shoot shorts, longs and long rifle loads, where the semi autos only shoot long rifles.

Single shot guns are nine and cheaper however, if you need that quick second shot to finish the job well you cannot do it fast enough and may lose out.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Not a firearm, but I would add a TenPoint Vapor crossbow for taking down any of those larger critters.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I love the Browning X bolt. Made in the Japanese Miroku factory, one of the best manufacturing plants in the world. As much as I would like to go 'Merican, the Japanese drive a hard bargain.

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    Just to chime in here. Is he going to be hunting in a slug only county or in rifle county?

If slug (or straightwall) you can’t go wrong with a Savage 220 for slug or an AR build in .450 bushmaster. The AR build would overlap between white tail deer and elk/moose.

Waterfowl: I have never had a problem with my Remington VersaMax waterfowl Pro. It’s a great gun and will eat anything you throw at it.

Turkey Gun: Can’t go wrong with an 870, a turkey choke, and some quality TSS turkey loads.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    He's looking to for:

A deer gun
    An upland gun
    A waterfowl gun
    A small game gun
    And potentially, a big-game (elk, moose, etc.) gun.
    ?

Deer: 12ga
    Upland: 12ga
    Waterfowl: 12ga
    Small Game: 12ga
    Big Game: 12ga

Hard to beat a good pump gun. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Swap out the barrels and ammo and you can do it all. Personally partial to the Mossberg 535, but you can pay a lot of money for essentially the same thing

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    He's looking to for:

A deer gun
    An upland gun
    A waterfowl gun
    A small game gun
    And potentially, a big-game (elk, moose, etc.) gun.
    So, with the caveats about paying for quality and durability (think: being able to pass along as an heirloom) if you could get two guns, one classic and one new-fangled, for each category listed above, what would they be, what caliber, and why?

But for real with the caveats....

Deer: 25-06 Rem bolt, probably one of the hi-end Kimber's or Weatherby's
    Upland: 20ga b/a, sticking with USA probably a hi-end Browning
    Waterfowl: 12ga pump, I like my Mossberg not sure what I'd get with $$
    Small Game: .22lr lever, go find a Marlin Golden 39A
    Big Game: .300 Win Mag, build a modular Remington 700 a la M29 sniper

Only other rifle I'd buy is a .45-70 lever for that dream Bison hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom