• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I bought a Masterpiece Arms vigilant 2 22LR Silencer back in February and just took receipt of it today. I built a folding AR22 with a dedicated CMMG bolt and 4.5 inch threaded barrel and I wanted this silencer to complete it...the only thing is...

It's brushed stainless...My folder is black and OD green...

SO can a stainless can be cerakoted? Is there any stupid rules on NFA items that they can't have their physical appearance altered? Would an FFL or smith be able to do it legally?

Attachments

• 20210114_181526.jpg
      20210114_181526.jpg
      151.5 KB · Views: 239

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I don't know the answer to your question but I'd love to see the build if you dont mind

I'm thinking of buying that same barrel/bolt combo for an SBR for the wife

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd love to see the build if you dont mind

I'm thinking of buying that same barrel/bolt combo for an SBR for the wife

Picture posted. that cheap red dot is coming off. it's all I had at the time to test the functionality. It runs great, haven't shot it with the silencer yet but it "should" be whisper quiet with CCI standards..

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    That's about the size I was hoping to see. Shes not one for upper body strength so I figure this will be light enough to whip around easy. Plus I'd like a .22 can as well just need to pick one out I suppose

Back to the subject at hand my apologies for the derail...

clsx

Jan 10, 2021
    They can absolutely be cerakoted. Ti or SS. I'm going to be running my Form 1 22lr. can on a similar CMMG setup - dedicated bolt, 4.5" barrel, under a BCM MCMR 8" handguard.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    They can absolutely be cerakoted. Ti or SS. I'm going to be running my Form 1 22lr. can on a similar CMMG setup - dedicated bolt, 4.5" barrel, under a BCM MCMR 8" handguard.

Did you buy a can kit then do the form 1? If so who did you.go with?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yes you can cerakote them. I've done cans and other things using ceramic based turbocharger exducer (hot side) and manifold paint. Just got to be sure the item can stand the heat of the curing process for whatever material you coat with (cerakote will be fine). The turbo paint needs much higher temps to cure but when used on a stainless can designed for a 249, it worked great. Several years of full auto abuse and no trouble. Just be sure to do your prep process EXACTLY as instructed by the coating manufacturer. Usually some kind of abrasive blast followed by alcohol or toluene wipe. Can't speak to cerakote but some high temp coatings I have used work better on a slightly warmed part. To achieve this, I put the part in the cure oven on 150 for half an hour. If doing it with a heat gun, go for just got enough that you don't want to hold onto it for more than a few seconds.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yes you can paint them and then cook the paint right off.

I bought the Omega black... ie a factory black painted Omega from Silenerco. My first 100rd belt of FA cooked the middle paint right off the can. So now I have a can with 15% of the paint on either end and a cool natural multicolored looking can in the center.

For me, painting guns and gun parts it always less than ideal. There is almost always a better way to finish the metal than paint.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Assume the business has an FFL 01 or 07. Beyond that just make sure they’re willing to take an NFA item and what they’re policy is such as wanting a F5 or .20 (not required).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom