• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    On the surface it appears MSI is the only organized group being vocal about the bills coming. I haven't seen anything from the NRA, MSRPA, GOA, or 2nd Amend Foundation.

Anyone else seen anything? If no then should I still be giving money to the GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation, MSRPA, and NRA. I already know many of you are mad at the NRA but why are we bothering with any supposed gun rights group if they aren't being vocal right now against these bills. MD matters too doesn't it?

The NRA-ILA has a blurb to "Stay plugged in. There is going to be a fight on our hands." What does that even mean? I'm getting apathetic about these organizations when just yesterday I gave money to all of them. Emotional donations, for sure. After the fact, I would like to know what the heck have any of them done for MD?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    On the surface it appears MSI is the only organized group being vocal about the bills coming. I haven't seen anything from the NRA, MSRPA, GOA, or 2nd Amend Foundation.

Anyone else seen anything? If no then should I still be giving money to the GOA, 2nd Amendment Foundation, MSRPA, and NRA. I already know many of you are mad at the NRA but why are we bothering with any supposed gun rights group if they aren't being vocal right now against these bills. MD matters too doesn't it?

The NRA-ILA has a blurb to "Stay plugged in. There is going to be a fight on our hands." What does that even mean? I'm getting apathetic about these organizations when just yesterday I gave money to all of them. Emotional donations, for sure. After the fact, I would like to know what the heck have any of them done for MD?

It sure is frustrating. I heard that in Nevada the GA is trying to push through anti-2A laws in an overnight session, without hearing comments from Nevada’s citizens. I’m so angry about what is happening at the state level across this country.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Op , I agree if the organizations are doing something I would think they would publish it here and any other social media site . For two reasons this would be beneficial one to get the word out and second to fundraise off of .

I know it is a very busy time but seems someone could delegate the duties .

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    MSRPA is working on getting a better presence on social media and their website. As our Second VP alluded to in an earlier post in a related thread, we are all volunteers and most of us have full-time job (and second job) commitments.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I'm sure I'll step on some toes and hurt some feelings with this post, but the cat needs to be let out of the bag here.

The GOA has been doing a lot nationwide. The SAF also. They don't have the money or manpower to fight every bill in every state, they tend to concentrate on fights that will affect the entire nation, not just one state or one county.

Honestly, look at how weak a position 2A rights groups are in to fight back in Maryland. The democrat dominated MGA is going to pass whatever the hell they want. They know they have the votes for even radical bills and they know Hogan isn't going to stand up to them and veto any of them. Colorado, for example, is now controlled by all Ds for the first time in 50 years, but it's a very slim majority and Coloradans have the ability to recall elected officials when they pass BS laws, like we did after the last round of gun control in 2012 and 2013 (I was in Maryland testifying against SB213 at that time). Marylanders have no recourse against their elected officials and the elected officials have nothing but contempt for their constituents. It makes more sense for groups like SAF, and GOA, with their limited resources, to fight where they have a chance at winning instead of getting pulled into losing battles.

I'm not saying Maryland is a lost cause, just give up. Maryland needs a stronger local organization to stand and fight for gun rights. Colorado has the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners group. They seem to be much more active in Colorado than MSI is in Maryland. What Maryland does have going for it is this forum. The Colorado Gun Owners forum gets a post every month or so. The last time I was on it the most recent thread was called "Where is everybody?" that was three weeks old and had no replies. This forum is great for educating and rallying the people of Maryland, but it's not enough. MSI needs to step up more, or another group needs to come up and take the reigns. Personally I see the PP doing more than MSI does to fight in Maryland.

One thing that Marylanders need to get active on, and it would be supported by most of the citizens in a referendum, is to create a mechanism to recall elected officials. That is what keeps the legislature in check in Colorado and other states that allow it. The legislatures in Maryland have no fear of the people. In Colorado they know if they act like an ass the people will kick them out of power. It's probably too late this year but you guys should really start talking to some of the MGA members who actually care about the state and the people and get them to introduce legislation to create a procedure that allows the people to recall officials. If you can get that, you can fight back. Otherwise I see a continued erosion of rights in Maryland for ever.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maryland based / fcoused - MSI , MSRPA

National , with emphasis on Courts - SFA

The NRA is , ahem, controversial with gun owners now . The Intitute for Legislative Action is financially seperate from Big NRA .

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'm sure I'll step on some toes and hurt some feelings with this post, but the cat needs to be let out of the bag here.

The GOA has been doing a lot nationwide. The SAF also. They don't have the money or manpower to fight every bill in every state, they tend to concentrate on fights that will affect the entire nation, not just one state or one county.

Honestly, look at how weak a position 2A rights groups are in to fight back in Maryland. The democrat dominated MGA is going to pass whatever the hell they want. They know they have the votes for even radical bills and they know Hogan isn't going to stand up to them and veto any of them. Colorado, for example, is now controlled by all Ds for the first time in 50 years, but it's a very slim majority and Coloradans have the ability to recall elected officials when they pass BS laws, like we did after the last round of gun control in 2012 and 2013 (I was in Maryland testifying against SB213 at that time). Marylanders have no recourse against their elected officials and the elected officials have nothing but contempt for their constituents. It makes more sense for groups like SAF, and GOA, with their limited resources, to fight where they have a chance at winning instead of getting pulled into losing battles.

I'm not saying Maryland is a lost cause, just give up. Maryland needs a stronger local organization to stand and fight for gun rights. Colorado has the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners group. They seem to be much more active in Colorado than MSI is in Maryland. What Maryland does have going for it is this forum. The Colorado Gun Owners forum gets a post every month or so. The last time I was on it the most recent thread was called "Where is everybody?" that was three weeks old and had no replies. This forum is great for educating and rallying the people of Maryland, but it's not enough. MSI needs to step up more, or another group needs to come up and take the reigns. Personally I see the PP doing more than MSI does to fight in Maryland.

One thing that Marylanders need to get active on, and it would be supported by most of the citizens in a referendum, is to create a mechanism to recall elected officials. That is what keeps the legislature in check in Colorado and other states that allow it. The legislatures in Maryland have no fear of the people. In Colorado they know if they act like an ass the people will kick them out of power. It's probably too late this year but you guys should really start talking to some of the MGA members who actually care about the state and the people and get them to introduce legislation to create a procedure that allows the people to recall officials. If you can get that, you can fight back. Otherwise I see a continued erosion of rights in Maryland for ever.

Until some understand the politicians ARE doing their constituents bidding on Maryland gun laws, they're just going to keep pulling their own hair out. Convince me it's not true. Thousands of souls testifying representing 20% of the electorate doesn't move the sticks much. At least that has been what I've witnessed.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Until some understand the politicians ARE doing their constituents bidding on Maryland gun laws, they're just going to keep pulling their own hair out. Convince me it's not true. Thousands of souls testifying representing 20% of the electorate doesn't move the sticks much. At least that has been what I've witnessed.
    The politicians don't care about the constituents, that's why you need to get some kind of recall procedure in place.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The politicians don't care about the constituents, that's why you need to get some kind of recall procedure in place.

They care about getting 51% of the vote. Maryland is not Colorado, majority of people here do not mind gun laws, and probably support them.

The liberals have stolen power with the insane gerrymandering of the Maryland Electorate.

This is true, however put any Gun Bill on a referendum and think it wouldn't get a thumbs up in Maryland? MoCo, PG and Baltimore is where the votes are.

This doesn't mean not to try testifying. Many gun bills are defeated when shown logistically impracticable or impossible. No one is going to move legislators arguing "Rights", that's where the courts come in. Shades law is back again. It failed last time because it was explained NICs checks could not be done. Maybe Dumais has changed the Bill a bit, haven't compared the one from 2018. Another bill that failed was on the bluff of takings, and we should bless our stars that thing didn't resurface after a court complaint prompting a ruling giving the green light, which was already precedent in several other states.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    All of this is very valid but there has to be some communication to people who don't live in the bubble that is this website. There is a huge swath of people who aren't voting and I'm sure are pro-2A.

At the airport yesterday, I saw a guy in a LWRC hat. Ask where he was from. Somewhere in MD I never heard of. Asked what he thought of the new gun bills filed. He had no idea what I was talking about.

I haven't been to a gun shop or indoor range in a while but I would think every gun shop and range in MD would have big signs to educate anyone who walked in. Their livelihood is at stake. Every manufacturer website should have a WARNING page on it regarding state bills being filed. Every YouTube personality that shills gun reviews should talk about it. They all live in pro-gun states and don't get this crap is seeping rapidly everywhere. NM, CO, and even AZ are/or about to feel the sticking pain of gun control. Oh, "Gun Safety."

We need some serious communication. I'm guessing that takes serious money too. If these groups want money they need to let their supporters know they are going jump in when we need help. There are tons of gun websites that promote donating to these groups but it all becomes white noise to someone not plugged in. Example is the VCDL at the Chantilly Show. They have the same booth with the same signs, right up front, and people walk by barely noticing. Virginia has had no problems in forever but are one election cycle away from big trouble. A nice smack in the face sign that says, "What you buy today you will have to turn in tomorrow to the police." Something for people to say, "What the F are they talking about?"

Do these groups not have enough money or is it simply know how to employ outreach?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

I noticed the same thing. Some of them should have stepped up and some are just making excuses. :sad20:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    All of this is very valid but there has to be some communication to people who don't live in the bubble that is this website.

At the airport yesterday, I saw a guy in a LWRC hat. Ask where he was from. Somewhere in MD I never heard of. Asked what he thought of the new gun bills filed. He had no idea what I was talking about.

I haven't been to a gun shop or indoor range in a while but I would think every gun shop and range in MD would have big signs to educate anyone who walked in. Their livelihood is at stake.

We need some serious communication. I'm guessing that takes serious money too.

I did the same thing at the Ducks Unlimited Bull and Oyster Roast last Saturday night. I was surprised at how few of the attendees knew anything about the proposed legislation. We had several good discussions through out the event with other attendees.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    All of this is very valid but there has to be some communication to people who don't live in the bubble that is this website.

I haven't been to a gun shop or indoor range in a while but I would think every gun shop and range in MD would have big signs to educate anyone who walked in. Their livelihood is at stake.

We need some serious communication. I'm guessing that takes serious money too.

I think you have hit on some very important issues , getting the word out , signs , advertising and any other way .
    We here at MDS are rabid fans of gun rights and the Constitution but what about the people on the fence or people that do not surf the web .

Bottom line is all gun groups in Maryland need to be more visible:thumbsup:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Re: a recall mechanism. Alas, even that wouldn’t help in Maryland, because the very liberal demographics that overwhelmingly place progressives in legislative power and which cheer on any and every (for example) infringing gun bill, will see a recall vote as an opportunity to loudly reaffirm the power of those same politicians.

The problem is cultural. Lefty liberals have won the culture war in places like MoCo, where all the head counts and cash are found. This has happened generationally, with aging hippies from the 60’s being in charge of the public school system. The damage has been baked into an entire generation. When it comes to state politics, they won. Which is why our focus has to be on the courts.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I did the same thing at the Ducks Unlimited Bull and Oyster Roast last Saturday night. I was surprised at how few of the attendees knew anything about the proposed legislation. We had several good discussions through out the event with other attendees.

Well, I guess there it is. I don't know what the Ducks Unlimited Bull and Oyster Roast is but it sounds like it would be patronized by pretty gun friendly people.

MSI has tables at gun shows. Can there be an approach to events like this where MSI or any other group to be able to start to get the word out?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    MSRPA is working on getting a better presence on social media and their website. As our Second VP alluded to in an earlier post in a related thread, we are all volunteers and most of us have full-time job (and second job) commitments.

I get it. There needs to be more volunteers. The Moms group is all volunteers.

People will follow if they feel they are being led by someone/some group who is capable and organized. Unfortunately, that takes tons of money.

My frustration level is pegged at 10 and I'm just brainstorming on here.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I get it. There needs to be more volunteers. The Moms group is all volunteers.

People will follow if they feel they are being led by someone/some group who is capable and organized. Unfortunately, that takes tons of money.

My frustration level is pegged at 10 and I'm just brainstorming on here.

In particular, more members who are willing to actively volunteer!

I think this is where MSI shines as does the Patriots Picket.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    What percent of Marylanders even know that any laws are being crafted at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom