Urgent VCDL update- An attack on gun-rights leaders is underway - spread the word!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    A solid after action review and shared lessons learned are always a valuable pursuit.

Beating a dead horse ain’t.

As with many volunteer stewardship/governance situations, the HMFIC often forgets the organization’s purpose and gets caught up in “self” (ego) issues. At that point, the organization and its purpose takes a back seat to the HMFIC. Too often, the “iron fist” works initially but fails the test of time simply because of ego and control issues.

Personalities are key in any organization. Building a sound culture on a broad values based approach is also important. When the leader figures they are the smartest, best looking person in every room they’re in, then the writing is on the wall. Downhill from there.

I’m not saying that happened here. Maybe. Maybe not.

I will say that Second Amendment supporters are a passionate lot with many shared values. Leadership skills are often in shorter supply than I would hope for.

Formal or informal support groups often get so caught up in the cause that they forget two key things: the way they come across to internal elements (members) and why they got their start in the first place.

Zealots and control freaks will sooner or later fail. Then, even their “good work” fails or is put at risk with them.

Nobody (any one person) can become more important than the cause or the group. Or not.

YMMV

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Phil Van Cleave was a hero when his personal recording of his Katie Couric interview proved the gun-hating media lies using clever editing.

In this comedy scam, Phil Van Cleve AGREED TO SURRENDER HIS CELL PHONE to keep the excessive “per diem “expense money” that the comedy crew figured correctly that he would not want to relinquish.

After the Katie Couric trap, PVC surrendering his cell phone before a single second of video was shot demonstrated he was blinded by the $$ that was dangled in front of him.

Sad on the most basic of levels, and disgraceful on its face.

This was likely true for all participants. This was not a truck bomb. One comedian with a checkbook did this.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I am a VCDL member going on 10 years.

Phil needs to step down in the interest of the organization.

There is no way for him to be explain this away to me

Anyone this gullible and nor having the ability to recognize a scam is out of touch with today’s media reality and needs to retire from the public eye

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I think it was a fair assessment that if PVC doesn’t pass the crown there will be a mutiny within VCDL.

As for the Patriot Picket we “walk the walk”: principles are not tied to particular people. We went to the Red Hen in Lexington twice. I served as spokesman on the first trip and Stoveman took the lead on the second trip, as seen in media coverage where he was uniformly identified as the “Patriot Picket spokesperson”.

The strategy of “Every Patriot, A Spokesperson” has been there from the beginning.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I think it was a fair assessment that if PVC doesn’t pass the crown there will be a mutiny within VCDL.

As for the Patriot Picket we “walk the walk”: principles are not tied to particular people. We went to the Red Hen in Lexington twice. I served as spokesman on the first trip and Stoveman took the lead on the second trip, as seen in media coverage where he was uniformly identified as the “Patriot Picket spokesperson”.

The strategy of “Every Patriot, A Spokesperson” has been there from the beginning.
    Sound approach

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    At every PP event have attended, I have always been encouraged to speak to the media. There has never been a “direct media inquiries to” scenario. Ever. I did several interviews in Lexington at the Red Hen. I’m no media expert but in a real grass roots organization, all voices are encouraged to speak up
    I’m proof of that.

That and PP leadership media savvy make a scenario like PVC’s current “media hell” very unlikely.

Sad to say but he needs to step down. There is no way to recover his integrity after this IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I am a VCDL member going on 10 years.

Phil needs to step down in the interest of the organization.

There is no way for him to be explain this away to me

Anyone this gullible and nor having the ability to recognize a scam is out of touch with today’s media reality and needs to retire from the public eye
    Lots of folks are absolutely unwilling to give up their power.

This is where the ego becomes intoxicating.

Leaders never forget that the mission and the crew that accomplishes the mission always come first. The leader must serve the mission and the crew. When they forget either duty, it’s time for them to hang up their spurs.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Lots of folks are absolutely unwilling to give up their power.

This is where the ego becomes intoxicating.

Leaders never forget that the mission and the crew that accomplishes the mission always come first. The leader must serve the mission and the crew. When they forget either duty, it’s time for them to hang up their spurs.

Yep time to go pard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the link. It had a link to an earlier story ...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ary-anti-gun-agitprop-scam-revealed-too-late/

Not surprisingly, they did cast their net widely, and some, like Rob Pincus deduced that it was a scam pretty quickly. I'm guessing that PVC did 'better' than some of the other targets in his performance (singing, etc) in the kids infomercial on gunimals so the producers selected that one for their show. It's likely that they have other compromising video of semi-prominent 2A proponents that hasn't yet been released. I'm assuming that if they had snared someone prominent in the NRA, they would have included it in their show. The NRA most likely runs requests through a PR office that might be better at picking up the deception.

Wonder who the gun rights activist "Jan" is that Pincus refers to in the prior TTAG article linked above. She apparently made a gunimal video too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I am hoping however embarrassing this incident is that it will serve to make VCDL stronger, and not just destroy it.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    VCDL, after about 20 years now, is now a mature and stable org with a deep membership list that takes action when those famous VCDL Action Alert emails go out.

I have attended many VCDL-sponsored open-carry call-outs taking place inside VA government buildings—and even inside the Virginia Statehouse.

VCDL grass-roots activism is a thing to behold, and historically, the lion’s share of the credit goes to Phil Van Cleave.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    This isn’t imo about blaming Phil.

Lessons learned and all.

A casual observer might see a new and different role for Phil. He appears to have most recently hoofed the pooch n his current role.

A more politically savvy and PR aware spokesperson might be in order. Hell, even developing a cadre would be a good thing.

As the enemy changes strategy and tactics, it’s prudent to up your own game at the same time.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Note that SBC gets these guys on board to suggest arming 3 year olds (the video later switches to 4 year olds) on up in school settings is a good thing. Maybe this is clever editing and they first thought they were endorsing gun safety training for kids, but the gunimal video as well as Pratt's later comments indicate that they agree.

For political figures, maybe they were also in it for the money and award. Former Congressman Joe Walsh said he did the video in part because he thought he was receiving an award from an Israeli organization. However Pratt also said that he would open doors in DC. Do wonder if he (unknowingly) helped set-up current or retired politicians - and there were a bunch besides Walsh in the video. Either way, GOA has to have lost lobbying incluence in Washington DC with Pratt being duped so thoroughly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Funny thing is...Sucky Baron Cohen—a Brit— portrayed an Israeli and the Israelis are the acknowledged MASTERS of this type of compromise.

The Mossad could not have have done this any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom