Zeroing Vortex Venom red dot on Ruger 22LR Mark IV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 31, 2017
    Hello - The Vortex Venom red-dot is the first red dot I have owned as a relatively new shooter. I'm using it on a Ruger 22LR Mark IV and this week I took it to the range to try to zero it in.

I read it should be zeroed at 25yrds, but I have a hard time seeing that far so I attempted to start at 7yrds. The attached picture shows my groupings around the target. I was aiming at the numbers, but most of my groupings were low left. I eventually got the left figured out, but I was still low by about 1" even when I had maxed out the "up" dial on the back of the red dot. As you can see in the target pic I started in the middle, then aimed at various numbers. Top center #9 was the last 5 or so rounds I attempted.

I'm assuming this is just the difference in height between the muzzle and where the red dot aligns and if I'm shooting at 5/10/15yrds, I just need to aim a little high??

I've also attached a picture of how it's mounted and about where I was trying to align the red dot the back of the red dot (at the bottom of the sight). I tried aligning in the middle of the sight and got the same result.

What the heck am I missing?? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20190210_214153.jpg
      20190210_214153.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 595
    • 20190213_214356.jpg
      20190213_214356.jpg
      71 KB · Views: 3,306
    • 20190213_214450.jpg
      20190213_214450.jpg
      15.1 KB · Views: 643

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You mentioned you are fairly new to shooting it’s possible that your issue here is more related to fundamental marksmanship principles and trigger control? Have you tried sighting the dot by supporting the gun in a rest while shooting? You could also take the bolt out and try to bore sight the red dot at 25yds.

FFGomer

Mar 5, 2018
    York County, PA
    What ToolAA said. Also, I don't mean to insult your intelligence or abilities but did you loosen the set screw prior to adjusting the sight and then re-tighten it? I'm sure that can have an effect on any adjustments and if you did not loosen it hopefully you did not do any damage to the sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom