rural sheriffs deputize citizens = qualify for leosa?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Could this work in the great state of Maryland?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Some small town in NM has made a business out of appointing people on their police force against a generous contribution to the city coffers. The police chief puts the appointee in with the state training commission and voilá a LEOSA compliant credential is created. Apparently that's how the body guards for the hollywood celebrities who tell us that we don't need guns are able to carry nationwide.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Could this work in the great state of Maryland?

I think it has to be a "qualified law enforcement officer" or "qualified retired or separated law enforcement officer" (10 years of service). So I would image they would have at least attend an academy, and they would have to be listed in the department rolls and received that departments credentials and qualified training. But it's been awhile since I look at that law

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Might work in the hinterlands, but I doubt that any of the "crowded" county sheriffs would buy it. Then there's the MSP and the ASSembly to get past.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I think it has to be a "qualified law enforcement officer" or "qualified retired or separated law enforcement officer" (10 years of service). So I would image they would have at least attend an academy, and they would have to be listed in the department rolls and received that departments credentials and qualified training. But it's been awhile since I look at that law

Some states only require you to attend academy within the first x (usually 9 or 18) months of hiring. This is done because the state only runs one academy a year and small departments could be critically understaffed if they had to wait. Until the x months are up, it can be 'in house training', and thats anything the sheriff or chief of police say it is. If a 'candidate' doesn't complete the academy, he is discharged and immediately re-hired ;-)

This also applies to the sheriff himself. In many places you can run for sheriff without any law enforcement experience. You just need to go to the academy within the stipulated period to get the full license eventually.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Some states only require you to attend academy within the first x (usually 9 or 18) months of hiring. This is done because the state only runs one academy a year and small departments could be critically understaffed if they had to wait. Until the x months are up, it can be 'in house training', and thats anything the sheriff or chief of police say it is. If a 'candidate' doesn't complete the academy, he is discharged and immediately re-hired ;-)

This also applies to the sheriff himself. In many places you can run for sheriff without any law enforcement experience. You just need to go to the academy within the stipulated period to get the full license eventually.

Maryland (I think) still has that on the books, where someone can work for up to a year without a police academy. Bel Air used to do that. I doubt anyone does now other than OC, who uses it for their seasonal officers.

Unless things have changed you don't need any academy at all to be a chief or an elected sheriff in MD.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Some small town in NM has made a business out of appointing people on their police force against a generous contribution to the city coffers. The police chief puts the appointee in with the state training commission and voilá a LEOSA compliant credential is created. Apparently that's how the body guards for the hollywood celebrities who tell us that we don't need guns are able to carry nationwide.

Yep, $400 (a year) an you get a badge an covered under LEOSA.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Maryland (I think) still has that on the books, where someone can work for up to a year without a police academy. Bel Air used to do that. I doubt anyone does now other than OC, who uses it for their seasonal officers.

Unless things have changed you don't need any academy at all to be a chief or an elected sheriff in MD.

All Ocean City seasonal officers attend an academy before the season. Would you let a seasonal carry a .357 without one? IIRC, OC runs three classes a year an sends another class to a department near Rock Hall.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Any of you guys friends with a sheriff? I know this isn't Lake Arthur, NM, but as long as a reserve/auxiliary/special officer has arrest capability....looks like would be covered under leosa. Seems like a good backdoor for us with a ballsy 2A sheriff? #hadtodisarmatpawpawbridgeyesterday:-(

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    All Ocean City seasonal officers attend an academy before the season. Would you let a seasonal carry a .357 without one? IIRC, OC runs three classes a year an sends another class to a department near Rock Hall.

No, what they have is a month long class that lets them receive a provisional certification which is only good for one year maximum. It's not an academy, even if they want to call it one. A police academy for officer certification is a minimum of 750 hours in this state. They go for a month, two weeks of which are devoted to passing MPTC firearms standards which are required for even a provisional certification. A lot of people in LE have wanted to abolish the provisional certifications altogether, and it's probably a good idea, but Ocean City's need for seasonal officers is what keeps it around.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I think some of you are confusing "leosa" and actuve duty LEOs....leosa is for retired in good standing LEOs, and i beleive they must have 15 years of service to qualify....just because someone was 'deputized" has nothing to do with that.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    There are 2 classes of LEOSA - a "qualified law enforcement officer" or a "qualified retired law enforcement officer."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

Additionally the retirement requirement of 15 years of experience was reduce to 10 years. In Maryland I don't think you would be able to pull it off. I myself kept asking the Charles County Sheriff's office if they still had the reserve deputy program. I keep getting that Sheriff Berry hadn't made a decision regarding it. Several months later, you can't find the web link on the Sheriff's department web site. Which is a shame as I have seen on several occasions where such a program did some great stuff.

Shane4

Aug 5, 2012

Is this still a thing? How generous of a contribution?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Is this still a thing? How generous of a contribution?

It was $400 to a non-profit that the chief of police controlled ;-) The whole thing was sold to the city council as a way to get a part-time posse to aid the small city police as needed. When they caught on to the fact that the chief was selling police IDs, they shut it down in a hurry.

HOWEVER, wherever they grow wheat or corn, there are still plenty of communities where a contribution to the sheriffs re-election fund will get you a star, a badge and a listing as reserve or trainee with the state licensing commission. Its just not something you'll find on any website.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    It's funny how everybody gets all technical and originalist when it comes to complying with laws that, if we're being honest, are illegitimate because they are completely contrary to the 2nd Amendment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom