• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Recently purchased a 16" .300 BO AR and when I had it at the range this morning I had several blown primers. Some the whole pocket blew out (about 5), some just the primer blew out (about 10) and some had no problems (about 15). Thought it best to stop the range session at that point. Could this be an ammo problem or more like an over pressure/head space problem? I do not have the gauges (or experience) that I have read about others using but would this be a problem that a gunsmith would need to fix?

Thanks for the help.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Not the ammo. Get a gunsmith to check your rifle or buy headspace gauges and verify. Definitely not safe to fire.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Next time, immediately stop after the first non-correct spent case is observed. Normally blown primers indicate a scarily overloaded powder charge. Have the gun destroyed with your head or hands isn't worth it.

Did you roll the ammo or is it commercial store bought?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I am not going to say LAX is bad or not. But the suspiciousness in me leads me to believe you may have got "factory new" reloads. First rule is use a know and reputable ammo manufacturer that way if something is off it will be "easier" to get them make it right. Also it takes out a variable.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Could be any of the issues you listed. Ammo Issues, throat issue, undersized bore, short or excessive headspace issue, overgassed, underbuffered/sprung.

A suppressor or booster muzzle device can cause this problem too.

I would stop shooting it.

I can look it over but I'm a bit far of a drive for you. I'm in Elkton.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Is LAX ammo made by Freedom Munitions?

Doesn't look like it. From their about us link:

In the year 2009, LAX Firing Range*Inc. established LAX AMMO. Ammunition was at a scarce, prices were ridiculously high, and retailers did not have a decent supply of any caliber. Though LAX continues to stock and carry a large supply of new factory brand ammunition, we knew we could bring a high quality reload to the market and to our range customers with substantial savings. In addition to manufacturing our own high quality reload and new ammunition, LAX has gone direct with companies such as Remington,*Tula Ammo,*Fiocchi,*Winchester*and*Federal/CCI, which allows us to offer our costumers additional savings. *We also purchase in huge quantities with distributors of*PMC*to get the best pricing possible.
    LAX AMMO is Southern California’s premier loading center manufacturing both reloaded and factory new ammunition. Over 1/2 million high-quality rounds are loaded in our facility each week. We pride ourselves in manufacturing the highest quality reloads anywhere and we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy!
    Our goal is to buy the lowest price point possible so that we can sell to our customers at a rock bottom price. We always have case quantity pricing and our reloads come in cans of 500 and 1000 rounds
    We guarantee all of our ammunition with 100% Satisfaction!! Our reloads are a great way for customers to practice at an economical rate without giving up quality. Give them a try and see why we have so many repeat customers.

I bolded a section that gives me pause due to my own issues with PMC standard ammo in an AR.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Thank you for the response. I read of more AR 9 complaints when using remanufactured ammo. Must be huge gun variations or the powders used not being compatible with mass ammo reproduction processes.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have been using LAX reloads in competition for a few years with no issues. Mainly 9mm in 147g and 124g. Usually buying 1k-2k every year. Never had a single issue in either my Glock 34 or my PCC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom