• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    To all NRA certified instructors/counselors,

Have you received any notification of requirement changes for instructor training? I just received an email from another instructor stating that as of July 1, 2018, instructors will need to take the course that they are planning to teach before taking the instructor course. There will be no testing out as previously accepted.

In one way I can see some merit in this, but it sounds like a revenue generator for the NRA. If I can show competency, why should I be forced to spend additional funds to take a course that I can pass?

Input would be appreciated.

Q

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Makes sense for the more advanced courses, however not for basic ones.

There is a bit of overlap as well, I'm not sure why an instructor has to take an additional firearms safety instructor course to teach firearm safety when that's a part of the other courses.

Renewing BIT seems odd as well, that one could be done online.

I think there could be many improvements to the training of instructors and students, but what do I know about learning stuff..........

TD

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Makes sense for the more advanced courses, however not for basic ones.

There is a bit of overlap as well, I'm not sure why an instructor has to take an additional firearms safety instructor course to teach firearm safety when that's a part of the other courses.

Renewing BIT seems odd as well, that one could be done online.

I think there could be many improvements to the training of instructors and students, but what do I know about learning stuff..........

TD

****Makes sense for the advanced courses. It's a revenue generator perhaps, but speaking as an instructor myself (Basic Pistol, Rifle, RSO, PPIH, etc..), sitting in on a class helps me to better present in my own classes.

Even the most basic classes that I have sat in on to observe, I've learned new ways of presenting or explaining safety or other concepts from other instructors that I thought were worthwhile. It's made me a better instructor for sure. I know instructors who have been teaching for 30 years that I was not too impressed by, and others with much less experience who are awesome: they have much stronger communication and interpersonal skills and connect with their students better.

I have not been made aware of the training requirements change, but can see (from a business and teaching perspective) why the NRA may have decided to do this.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold

TD

I'm not sure what specific firearm safety courses you are referring to. Can you provide more specific information?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    To all NRA certified instructors/counselors,

Have you received any notification of requirement changes for instructor training? I just received an email from another instructor stating that as of July 1, 2018, instructors will need to take the course that they are planning to teach before taking the instructor course. There will be no testing out as previously accepted.

In one way I can see some merit in this, but it sounds like a revenue generator for the NRA. If I can show competency, why should I be forced to spend additional funds to take a course that I can pass?

Input would be appreciated.

Q

I received a similar email last week. I thought this requirement had been in place in the past. Possibly there was some overlap in long guns, but I was not aware of any such overlap.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I received a similar email last week. I thought this requirement had been in place in the past. Possibly there was some overlap in long guns, but I was not aware of any such overlap.

I didn't have to take the classes for rifle or shotgun, but did have to take a written and practical (functional/ shooting) test to proceed to the instructor course.

Q

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I didn't have to take the classes for rifle or shotgun, but did have to take a written and practical (functional/ shooting) test to proceed to the instructor course.

Q

Thanks for the clarification. I took Basic Rifle before BRI; I did not know I could have tested out of it. I wouldn't have wanted to anyway, Max is right, best to learn from as many teachers as possible. Some Instructors and Training Counselors are great, but learning from a wider range of the community is even better than studying everything one master has to teach.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    If you want to see other instructors, offer to assist them with a class. Most would be happy to have the help. This is nothing more than a money grab.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I took the classes before the instructor classes so that I would know what others are doing in the class. Since it was over a lot period of time it didn't seem to matter and I learned a lot of teaching tips by doing so. Didn't know you could test out.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    At the time I took them, late 16 and early 17, it was an either/or. The requirements were basic and should have been equivalent to the class.

For basic pistol instructor, looks like I'll need to take the basic pistol course before taking the instructor course.

Q

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    I've had pistol, rifle, shotgun, PPITH, CRSO and HFS for several years and I have not received any notification from the NRA regarding qualifications.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    NRA Rifle and Shotgun Instructor, no email.

AS was stated before, I had to pass a written and practical exam to take the courses, but had not taken the classes.

PS....I did it for Boy Scouts and the class I took was a combined Rifle and Shotgun Instructor class for Scout Leaders.

PPS.. the NSCA Instructor Course had a "convince the instructor you have the skills" practical to take the course.

HD1200S

May 6, 2013
    I have not received any notifications to date. Personally, I am confused about the requirement to attend the class prior to becoming an Instructor. When attending the Instructor version of the class you are provided all the class material to include an Instructors Guide. This is used by the student instructor to prep his lessons to be taught. Also, you have to pass the test as well score significantly higher on the range course of fire.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Just got this in today!

Dear Training Counselor:

The Training Counselor Guide was revised in March 2018. In that revision, the Training Department included a requirement for future Instructor Candidates to complete the Basic course BEFORE they are allowed in an Instructor certification course. Enforcement of this requirement was delayed until July 1 due to the possibility that previously scheduled courses would be populated by Instructor Candidates who lacked the opportunity to complete the Basic course in time to qualify.
    Beginning on July 1, 2018, there will be a digital Memorandum of Understanding on the NRAI portal that you must read and agree to prior to accessing your account. When registering a new Instructor-level course, you must also check a box attesting that you have either verified completion of or actually conducted the Basic course that is the prerequisite for the Instructor Candidate.
    As always, we expect your Instructor courses to have a minimum of four (preferably 10-12) highly experienced Instructor Candidates who, regardless of their prior experience, have now been exposed to the exact curriculum they will be teaching. The ONLY exceptions to this requirement are Home Firearms Safety, Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading, and Basic Shotgun Shell Reloading.
    Thank you for all you do and for your continued support of NRA Training Programs. If you have further questions, please contact your Training Counselor Program Coordinator at msprick@nrahq.org or trainingcounselor@nrahq.org.

Sincerely

The NRA Education and Training Team

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Well, an added cost for the candidates to save up for. I'll start looking for a basic pistol course near me.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom