• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    This is the BEST of all options, hands down.

The Security-Six and Speed-Six revolvers were the finest .357 revolvers ever made in my
    opinion. They are strong without being too heavy or awkward.

I also love the S&W 686 revolver. For sheer accuracy they can't be beat. When they were
    introduced way back in the 80s, S&W designed them to be on a par equal to the Colt python
    revolvers. They really watched the tolerances and magazine writers would strap them into
    Ransom Rests to see if they actually were as accurate. And they were. Prices were also
    reasonable and one could actually find them in stock.

If I had to carry one in the wilderness, there's no doubt which one I'd pick!

For you old timers out there, remember this ad? Smith thought it would sell their guns. It failed at
    this and made me want to go out for a steak, fries and a chocolate malt instead!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm not a Ruger guy but I'll admit that the Security Six series is a much lamented quality revolver that never should have been discontinued. The GP100 series may be tank tough but they're more suited to field and hunting use...too bulky and heavy for duty or carry.

Ruger isn't the only company to discontinue great guns...many others have done it as well.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    The first handgun I purchased when I turned 21 was a .357 revolver with a 2 in barrel. 24 years later, I still have an shoot that pistol, but I want something with a bigger barrel. In the next month or two I'd like to pick one up. I've been dreaming of a 586 with a 6 inch barrel for years, but I often wonder if any of you that own 6 inch barreled revolvers prefer 4 inches instead.

Although my heart is set on a 586, I most likely will buy a Taurus 66 due to price difference. Just wondering if I should go with the 4 in vs the 6 in.
    I'm only going to be using it for target shooting but don't want to regret my barrel length decision ha...

Thanks for any advice.

I bought a 586 with 6" barrel about 30 years ago. It is still my favorite revolver. Easy to shoot and very accurate.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^. I regret not buying a used blue 6” 586 with the silhouette front sight...not just once, twice! Those are beauts. Pure silhouette clangers.

That said, I never found a 48 to 52 ounce revolver cumbersome when hunting, or even walking a stretch of land where it is okay to do so. Not exactly backpacking and with the other gear I never really noticed it. Every hunt my Super Blackhawk goes with me as the primary arm. The only slightly annoying thing is the barrel length. If the 5.5” Redhawk were legal for deer in Maryland I would use it. But I wouldn't feel under powered with a Security Six.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I ended up saving some money and purchasing a 6inch Taurus 66 in matte black and couldnt be happier. Picked it up last week and put 50 rounds of 38 special through it on friday afternoon.

Crazy how accurate it is compared to my other pistols. I figured I'd probably be shooting mostly 38s through it and dont have tons of gun money so I spent basically half of what a nice 686 or 586 would cost.

Edited to add I was surprised at how nice the trigger was. I had read about people upgrading to wolf springs but both the dbl and single action pulls seem awesome to me. Maybe I just havent shot a really nice revolver but the Taurus trigger surprised me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom