• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Colorado's bump stock bill died in Senate committee. The mag limit repeal bill passes the committee vote and goes to the floor.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Huh. Interesting.

If ATF Grants an amnesty period, does the tax apply? I assume it does.

they most certainly will try, but will have trouble with ex postfacta tax. Putting it in simpler terms, the atf says an item is legal with no tax or registration. With no laws broken the ATF can't go back and say you owe us $200 per device and if you don't your breaking the law.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    they most certainly will try, but will have trouble with ex postfacta tax. Putting it in simpler terms, the atf says an item is legal with no tax or registration. With no laws broken the ATF can't go back and say you owe us $200 per device and if you don't your breaking the law.

LOL! Does a bear shit in the woods? <synonym> Does the government like taking your money?

Yes... yes they do.

Actually, there is a precedent: ATF rulings 94-1 ATF 94-2 and 2001-1. ATF reclassified some shotguns as NFA items and granted amnesty registration with no tax. People had bought them cash and carry. Amnesty ended 2001. Transfer taxes only applied prospectively after 1994 ruling.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/FR-2001-02-09/01-3391/content-detail.html

I predict thats what they will do here.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I wrote to my three ninnies, McConkey, Malone and Saab, and to my goofball, Reilly, on Monday night. Not a peep in response. I think they're hiding under rocks.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Actually, there is a precedent: ATF rulings 94-1 ATF 94-2 and 2001-1. ATF reclassified some shotguns as NFA items and granted amnesty registration with no tax. People had bought them cash and carry. Amnesty ended 2001. Transfer taxes only applied prospectively after 1994 ruling.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/FR-2001-02-09/01-3391/content-detail.html

I predict thats what they will do here.

Those were serialized firearms.

How will they do it with unserialized parts? I guess it would be somewhat like an SBR - a receiver with such would have to be registered as being completed as such. Imagine the backlog ...

How would that affect citizens of Maryland if ATF does this for bump stocks but not binary triggers?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Those were serialized firearms.

How will they do it with unserialized parts? I guess it would be somewhat like an SBR - a receiver with such would have to be registered as being completed as such. Imagine the backlog ...

How would that affect citizens of Maryland if ATF does this for bump stocks but not binary triggers?

engraving... lots of engraving. Might make you go to an FFL to get it done too.

Not sure about the backlog. Depends how they do it. If ATF examiners need to personally sign registrations, bigly yuge backlog. If they do it like a 4473 and send it in, no backlog. Trump admin asked for $14 million more to the budget to clear the existing backlog, as if you can hire examiners overnight.

Whatever takes the most time and wastes the most tax dollars and is the biggest nonsense is what they will pick.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Steve Waugh's response to my email of support, he has my full support and is truly one of the good guys!

thanks for the support!
    The delegates appear to have realized the error of their ways and are begging us to 'fix' the bill they voted for. I had a conversation with the Chairman of our Judicial Proceedings committee and even he thinks the bill is horrible. And he would outlaw guns.
    I know who the delegates face in the general election, and those choices are far worse.
    The other day we had some consultants telling us to support the Gov on the bump stock ban, because it'll be popular in our senate districts...all the while I was thinking I'd be better off in a TV commercial using one.
    s/f
    Steve

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Steve Waugh's response to my email of support, he has my full support and is truly one of the good guys!

thanks for the support!
    The delegates appear to have realized the error of their ways and are begging us to 'fix' the bill they voted for. I had a conversation with the Chairman of our Judicial Proceedings committee and even he thinks the bill is horrible. And he would outlaw guns.
    I know who the delegates face in the general election, and those choices are far worse.
    The other day we had some consultants telling us to support the Gov on the bump stock ban, because it'll be popular in our senate districts...all the while I was thinking I'd be better off in a TV commercial using one.
    s/f
    Steve

Offer to arrange that last part.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    We don’t need to worry about MD, the Feds are gonna bam bump stocks.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    And our illustrious POTUS seems to have made clear in his tweet today, that it doesn't matter what comes out of the public comment period... HE has made up his mind that these are "illegal machine-guns"... it is a done deal. Turn them in, destroy them, or become an outlaw.

Well... alrighty then.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I think the best we can hope for at this point is to save binary triggers. Unfortunately, I think the Maryland law will ban those as well unless there have been changes to the language that I don’t understand.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    But remember they aren't coming for our guns...Something that was one legal now is illegal and therefore turn them in like Austraila. :sarcasm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom