Running a milled slide without an optic.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I got a great Black Friday deal on getting my slide milled, but I'm not ready to buy the optic yet. The guy said I could just send it when I'm ready, but waiting has risks (like I forget altogether). Would there be any problem with just running the gun with the cutout and no optic? It's for a Shield on my 43, so there's no plate available. It's going to get refinished, so I don't think corrosion on bare metal is a concern. Thanks.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    I got a great Black Friday deal on getting my slide milled, but I'm not ready to buy the optic yet. The guy said I could just send it when I'm ready, but waiting has risks (like I forget altogether). Would there be any problem with just running the gun with the cutout and no optic? It's for a Shield on my 43, so there's no plate available. It's going to get refinished, so I don't think corrosion on bare metal is a concern. Thanks.

No issue.

cpo

hmmm......
    Aug 3, 2018
    Central Maryland
    ...and by the way... That's just not my opinion (which it is) but I also checked with my pistolsmith buddy who builds custom guns and does a LOT of red dots. He agrees no issue. I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    ...and by the way... That's just not my opinion (which it is) but I also checked with my pistolsmith buddy who builds custom guns and does a LOT of red dots. He agrees no issue. I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Outstanding, thanks.

I was mainly worried because of all the terrible milling jobs I've seen where internal parts are exposed. I'm using Maple Leaf, and they're awesome, so that's not a concern, but I guess I was a bit gun shy.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Ah, OP, it's too bad you're not closer to me... I actually design and 3D print covers for exactly the purpose you're talking about. A few days with the slide in hand, and I could have probably made you something. The cut-outs drive me crazy when there's nothing in them, makes power-racking the slide kind of annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom