• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    When using a suppressor I've noticed a lot of ppl (almost all) prefer the 9mm subs over 40 subs. I'm just wondering why? I've looked around and don't see much of an advantage of using 9mm subs over 40 subs. If 147 grain 9mm ammo is basically the same price as 180 grain 40 cal and both are subsonic then why are so many ppl using 9mm? In my experience 180 grain 40 cal is more available on store shelves over 9mm subs. Is it that many ppl already have a 9mm pistol or am I missing something? I also don't understand why more companies aren't making 40 cal suppressors either. You can use 40 cal suppressor with 9mm or 40 but you can't shoot 40 cal with 9mm suppressors. There's only a 1mm difference in diameter between the two so I doubt there's much of a decibel difference. To me it would seems like the advantages/disadvantages of either are about equal if not the advantage going to the 40 so why is there a significant amount of people using 9mm over 40?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I think it's because they already make a .45 supressor. What do tou gain by making a supressor that is only marginally smaller than a .45. Plus you can use it for .45, .40 or 9mm.

5/100 of an inch does not seem worth it.

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    I think it's because they already make a .45 supressor. What do tou gain by making a supressor that is only marginally smaller than a .45. Plus you can use it for .45, .40 or 9mm.

5/100 of an inch does not seem worth it.

Yeah but that's one of my point. Why make a 9mm can if both the 40 and 45 cans are more versatile. I get it that some people might not like a 45 can because they're much thicker then both a 9mm and 40 cans but the 9 and 40 cans are all about the same size so why not just make 40 cans?

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Yeah but that's one of my point. Why make a 9mm can if both the 40 and 45 cans are more versatile.
    might have already answered this:
    Is it that many ppl already have a 9mm pistol or am I missing something?
    i mean, someone higher speed than me can find a way to crunch the numbers, but i suspect 9mm and .45 ACP are magnitudes more popular than .40.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thought process #1- It's not the difference in diameter that matters, it's the cross sectional area of the bore . .40 has 25% more area,.45 is 58% more that's meaningful.

Thought process #2- Hey, Hollywood is fake. Don't ob$ess over maximum Db reduction, even a sorta medium effecent suppressor still gives meaningful supressing. If you're only going to have one suppressor ( or only one centerfire pistol cal) , maximum versatility is a very important parameter.

Both statements are true, you need to decide your personal priorities .

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The other thing is that the internal volume of the suppressor can have as much (or more) effect on dB volume as the size of the opening in the endcap does. This is why some .45 suppressors will meter as being more quiet than their 9mm versions do when you shoot 9mm through them.

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    Thought process #1- It's not the difference in diameter that matters, it's the cross sectional area of the bore . .40 has 25% more area,.45 is 58% more that's meaningful.

Thought process #2- Hey, Hollywood is fake. Don't ob$ess over maximum Db reduction, even a sorta medium effecent suppressor still gives meaningful supressing. If you're only going to have one suppressor ( or only one centerfire pistol cal) , maximum versatility is a very important parameter.

Both statements are true, you need to decide your personal priorities .
    I'm not trying to decide, I'm just trying to understand why 9mm is so popular in the suppressor world. To me it seems like ppl already have 9mm and a that's the main reason they're using it. Nothing wrong with that, I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something.

The other thing is that the internal volume of the suppressor can have as much (or more) effect on dB volume as the size of the opening in the endcap does. This is why some .45 suppressors will meter as being more quiet than their 9mm versions do when you shoot 9mm through them.
    Yeah I get the advantage of the larger volume of a 45 can over a 9mm can but what I don't get is the advantage of a 9mm can over a 40 can of both are the same size (volume) then the 40 can is more versatile. I just feel like I'm missing something.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Everything else equal, 'bout 25% difference.

Is that meaningful to you ? Value judgement.

Could you decide to either go with a larger volume can, or more sophisticated baffle design to offset the difference in I.D. ? Personal choice .

Why do many people get 9mm supressors? It already is the larges cal they plan to shoot surpressed. Most 147gr ammo is subsonic, and widely available in both fmj and jhp. And if the design is amenable to cleaning, many will also use them for .22lr.

I suspect the answer you're looking to hear is : Just go ahead and get a suppressor in the largest bore diameter you have/ plan to suppress. And don't stop half way, get one for .45 . It opperates at lower pressure than .40, and will have lower muzzle blast to start with.

LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    I bought a Silencerco Osprey .40 as my 9mm suppressor. I bought it in January, 2016 as the 41F panic began and silencer shop was saying it's larger volume made it one of the quietest 9mm cans in existence. Now that I have it in my hands I love it. It makes my P226 Legion and MPX quiet enough to shoot at the farm when the church 1/4 mile away is letting out on Sundays without anyone noticing.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    SilencerCo Osprey .40:

Average:
    .40 S&W - 127 dBA
    9x19mm - 125 dBA

First Round Pop:
    .40 S&W - 132 dBA
    9x19mm - 135 dBA

SilencerCo Osprey 9:

Average:
    9x19mm - 125 dBA

First Round Pop:
    9x19mm - 132 dBA

So the 1" longer Osprey 40 sounds about the same as the Osprey 9. If you don't have a 40, why deal with the weight and size?

And now with modular suppressors you can have the 45 volume with a 9mm endcap for full suppression similar to a 9mm can, or run the "K" can for lighter weight/shorter length.

If HPA passes, I would consider something like the Tirant 9M in the K for a nightstand pistol.

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    Maybe it's just me but I find it much easier to find subsonic ammo in 40 and 45 then in 9mm. At the same time 9mm seems to be the most popular choice when suppressing. I guess it's just that most already have a 9mm so that's what they go with. I've looked around before but didn't really find anything that's why I asked. I know it doesn't really matter because they all seem to work well, just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom