2013 Firearm Safety Act Late Registration?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 1, 2013
    So I bought a Bushmaster Superlight ORC back in August 2013 before the law passed. Around that time I tried to find info on whether or not I'd have to register my grandfathered AR-15 and found conflicting info. Some places said it must be registered, others said not. When I called the State Troopers around the time the law passed, the officer I spoke to was clueless and said they hadn't yet been briefed on those details.

I didn't look into it any further. Fast forward a couple years and I'm looking to blow some dust off my AR-15 and take her back out on the range. So I called the State Troopers again today and the officer I spoke to said he wasn't an expert on the 2013 Firearm Safety Act but he'd try to help me anyway. So I asked if I must register a grandfathered AR-15 and he answered affirmatively. I next asked if there were any fines or penalties associated with late registration and he said I wouldn't be allowed to register because the grace period has passed.

I know I can't be the only one that hasn't registered their AR-15 so I want to know if anyone has tried to register beyond the deadline and if they had any issues. I don't want to get pulled over headed to the range and run into legal issues for an unregistered firearm. But I also don't want to head to the barracks and have my rifle confiscated or get fined.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When you bought it was it cash and carry or did you need to wait for the Maryland check? If you waited it is already registered. As far as I know if you were a MD resident and owned it legally pre 10/1/13 you should be good to go.

I think new residents have 30 days after establishing residence in MD to register previously owned scary AR's.

Mar 1, 2013
    Rseymorejr, thanks for the quick response. I had to wait for the background check to come back as well as the cool down period. I have been a MD resident my entire life. I bought the rifle at Gander Mountain in Salisbury in August 2013. This is good news!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Don't ever ask the State Police for advice on these laws, if you ask 4 different troopers the same question you are liable to get 5 wrong answers.

Take it out and shoot it!
    :)

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Nothing in the law stated that current maryland residents had to register anything. Only new residents moving into the state after oct '13.

For example, person who purchased now banned firearm in another state when they lived there, then moved to MD in say 2000. At the time there was no requirement for that new MD resident to register anything. They now still reside in MD and still have no requirement to register anything.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Don't ever ask the State Police for advice on these laws, if you ask 4 different troopers the same question you are liable to get 5 wrong answers.

Take it out and shoot it!
    :)

This. When I applied for HQL, one of MSPs finest asked if I already had a regulated pistol. I did. He asked for the serial number...in order to process my hql. I said "nope! I'm prior mil and have already uploaded my discharge paperwork (DD214)." He kept pushing...sending emails saying the whole process was stopped until I gave over the serial number of the other pistol...the pistol I owned when I moved to this pos state. I refused. Told him via email to process my paperwork as my DD214 satisfied the requirement. Finally another trooper picked up on it and replied that they didn't require my serial number.
    MSP is pretty much the last place to ask questions.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    The first trooper was attempting to apply the "Prior purchase" exemption to your HQL training requirements. That's what I did when I applied for mine.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    Nothing in the law stated that current maryland residents had to register anything. Only new residents moving into the state after oct '13.

For example, person who purchased now banned firearm in another state when they lived there, then moved to MD in say 2000. At the time there was no requirement for that new MD resident to register anything. They now still reside in MD and still have no requirement to register anything.

And that probably does not apply for many.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I was just saying, the OP legally owned his rifle prior to oct '13. There is no requirement for him to register it (don't even need to examine further regarding did he have a wait period etc)

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    The first trooper was attempting to apply the "Prior purchase" exemption to your HQL training requirements. That's what I did when I applied for mine.

Yes...and since I had already given them my military discharge paperwork, he didn't need that serial number.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    We Marylanders are well-trained peasants. Looks like FSA 2013 is working exactly as planned....people are scared to leave their damn houses with a firearm.

To answer the OP - as others have said, you're fine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I was just saying, the OP legally owned his rifle prior to oct '13. There is no requirement for him to register it (don't even need to examine further regarding did he have a wait period etc)

Only if he was an MD resident as of Oct 1, 2013.

1) Purchased a handgun or now banned firearm prior to Oct 1, 2013, was and still is am MD resident - No registration

2) Purchased a handgun or now banned firearm while NOT a resident of MD prior to Oct 1, 2013, moved to MD prior to Oct 1, 2013 - No Registration

3) Purchased a handgun or now banned firearm while NOT a resident of MD prior to Oct 1, 2013, moved to MD on or after Oct 1, 2013 - Registration REQUIRED

4) Purchased a now banned firearm while NOT a resident of MD ON OR AFTER Oct 1, 2013, moved to MD on or after Oct 1, 2013 - NOT allowed to be brought into MD

5) Purchased cash and carry firearm at any time, in any state, and moved to MD at any time - No registration

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Only if he was an MD resident as of Oct 1, 2013.

1) Purchased a handgun or now banned firearm prior to Oct 1, 2013, was and still is am MD resident - No registration

2) Purchased a handgun or now banned firearm while NOT a resident of MD prior to Oct 1, 2013, moved to MD prior to Oct 1, 2013 - No Registration

3) Purchased a handgun or now banned firearm while NOT a resident of MD prior to Oct 1, 2013, moved to MD on or after Oct 1, 2013 - Registration REQUIRED

4) Purchased a now banned firearm while NOT a resident of MD ON OR AFTER Oct 1, 2013, moved to MD on or after Oct 1, 2013 - NOT allowed to be brought into MD

5) Purchased cash and carry firearm at any time, in any state, and moved to MD at any time - No registration

What is the distinction of "cash and carry?" Sorry I got into gun game late in life, after 10/1/2013.

What I'm trying to figure out is, does this mean that if I am an MD resident, drive over to WV, PA or VA, buy an perfectly legal long gun for that state (like an M1A), and return home, I'm good to go?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    What is the distinction of "cash and carry?" Sorry I got into gun game late in life, after 10/1/2013.

That means no waiting period, no hand gun license, you walk into the store, drop your cash and 20 min later you walk out with your gun.

What I'm trying to figure out is, does this mean that if I am an MD resident, drive over to WV, PA or VA, buy an perfectly legal long gun for that state (like an M1A), and return home, I'm good to go?

Not so fast. You can only buy a long gun in another state that is legal to buy in your own state. Forget about the M1A and the mini 14 with a folding stock AK's and AR-15 non Hbars.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Not so fast. You can only buy a long gun in another state that is legal to buy in your own state. Forget about the M1A and the mini 14 with a folding stock AK's and AR-15 non Hbars.
    D'oh! Thought that seemed too easy. I like the M1A. Should have got into this game sooner I guess.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Rseymorejr, thanks for the quick response. I had to wait for the background check to come back as well as the cool down period. I have been a MD resident my entire life. I bought the rifle at Gander Mountain in Salisbury in August 2013. This is good news!

It is registered already.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    We Marylanders are well-trained peasants. Looks like FSA 2013 is working exactly as planned....people are scared to leave their damn houses with a firearm.

To answer the OP - as others have said, you're fine.

You mean honest people, right?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Used to be there were regulated long guns (required filing a 77R and waiting at least 7 days, like is done for handguns), and non-regulated, ie cash and carry, long guns. All legal long guns in MD are now cash and carry.

Federal law requires that any long gun purchase must be legal in the state of residence of the buyer and the state where the FFL is located. So no M1A for any MD resident. Sorry. But also means a PA resident cannot buy an M1A in MD. Only if the M1A is transferred to an FFL in a state where it is legal, like New York (HUH?? Yes, in NY M1A is legal) and the PA resident take possess from that FFL.

Handguns may only be purchased in your state of residence. At least for now. One circuit court decision says this is not legal, so it COULD change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom