• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Got finger printed at Worth a Shot in Millersville on Monday, I applied to MSP around 3pm Monday, It was approved on Tuesday, and showed up in the mail today.

I might have been fast tracked since My finger prints have been in the system for years, I've had handguns for 13+ years, and did the training exempt application.

I was amazed it took one day to get approved but hey, works for me. Too bad I still don't know what gun I'm buying next.

Oct 24, 2011
    So frustrating...no action in over two weeks on my application.

07/27/2015
    Application\License Fee - Completed

07/28/2015
    DHMH - Completed

07/29/2015
    MVA Photo - Completed
    LiveScan - Completed
    Training - Completed
    CJIS - Completed
    MAFSS - Completed
    JIS - Completed

Incomplete
    NICS
    METERS

PKendall10

Oct 29, 2012
    Laurel/College Park
    Applied: 9/3
    Active: 9/16

None of the checklist items were shown completed, besides fee and DHMH, and then it went straight to active. So if you don't see an update, there's still hope.

DollZ

Sep 11, 2015
    The system is based in Internet Explorer. If this is not the browser you are using, please switch to Internet Explorer. If you are using Internet Explorer 11 or newer it may be a compatibility problem. Before logging in on the Log-on page for the site, move cursor to the Control Bar Tabs at the top of the page and right click. Choose “Menu Bar” to expose “Tools” above log-in page. Select “Tools”, then select "Compatibility View". This will allow Internet Explorer to work with the site.

Wow wish I had known this - Had to boot an old computer to manage to see and fill out some of the pages and pay - Great tip on finding compatibility mode!

Applied 8/29
    Approved 9/9
    Still waiting on card...

EunosFD

May 27, 2009
    MD
    Applied 08/31 at night
    Approved 09/10
    Received card 09/16
    Not too bad considering there was a holiday in there.

Oct 7, 2015
    Greensboro
    I applied 10/2, I've never owned a handgun before, with no police or military background. So far... nothing, they noted that I paid my fee, and that they checked the DHMH, but it hasn't changed in 12 days. :innocent0 I will update when I receive it.

Oct 7, 2015
    Greensboro
    UPDATE!

I am officially HQL approved, submitted on 10/2 and approved and Active 10/20 so 18 days for approval, now to wait on my card and start the best part of all, handgun shopping! :party29:

kilroy26

Nov 12, 2015
    Applied 10/26
    Approved 11/4
    Still waiting for the card to arrive.....I pace the house every day waiting for the mail haha

A_Nonymous

Jun 13, 2011
    Submitted 30OCT2015, still waiting for anything other than Mental Health Check and Application, 14 days and counting...

whelanjh

Sep 10, 2015
    Wife got her laminated HQL in 21 days. I have been approved but it has been 30 days and I am still waiting for HQL in hand.

vabraden

Nov 28, 2015
    Maryland HQL Uuuuuuuuugggggggg!!!!!

I completed and submitted my HQL application two weeks ago. The only boxes checked since then are my payment and DHMH (Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Its like it fell down a rabbit hole. I've contacted the MSPD to see if it was still being reviewed and got a response of "By Law we have 30 days to review the application". Its bad enough that Maryland violates our 2nd amendment rights but now we have to jump through hoops and put up with this bull#@!*. Thinking of packing my family up and moving out of this Democratically Run, Corrupt State. Its a damn shame. Just 40 minutes north into PA I can get an open carry permit with no problem. Anyone else frustrated with MD and its Bull@#%! regulations???

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    Anyone else frustrated with MD and its Bull@#%! regulations???

Actually, I think all of us are frustrated by the BS, but for the most part, we have chosen to stay and continue the fight. Some will move elsewhere for many reasons, and I have thought of it myself, but Maryland, for all it's faults, is my home. I was born here, my parents are from here, my Mothers family goes back generations on and around the Chesapeake, my kids and my grandkids were born here, like it or not, it's home.

Stick around awhile and help us win this battle, or the next, as the case may be. The more of us that fight, the better our chances.

Good Luck with the HQL,

Dogmeat

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    Submitted 12/03

Mental health check completed 12/10

All other metrics unchecked. Do I need the physical HQL card to arrive before I can fill out msp paperwork or can I just print something off once I'm approved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom