• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    When I get the details from Peacemaker National, I'll start to figure out when I'm going down there. Now this guy Edwin in that youtube video went 500 yards with a Texan with compressed air and a 350g flat nose slug. Even if the record is unofficial, I want to try for 600 yards, even if it's only one shot per fill. What weight bullet do you think I should use to try and get it there?

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    The most accurate one. Bullet weight and style makes no difference if you can't hit what you're aiming at. And the .45 bullet will have a terrible SD and therefore BC anyways so you'll be needing some MOA built into your scope base for sure. Now if you can find a boattail bullet it'd be beneficial to experiment with it to see if you can get it to shoot due to the BC advantages but again if it's not accurate what's the point?

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Why do you believe that those bullets wouldn't do well past 400? A boattail will significantly increase your BC and therefore reduce wind drift and the amount of MOA required to reach your target. The only downside would be a boattail will require a faster twist barrel to stabilize compared to a flat base bullet of the same weight.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Is there an advantage or disadvantage to a hollow point over a flat nose or vice versa? The only other ones I have are a spitzer type but with no boat tail. As far as twist is concerned, I don't know what the rate is w/the Texan :o The pic are the 3 I have in addition to the 350g Hunters Supply flat nose.

Last edited:

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    The meplat (tip) of a bullet traveling subsonic speeds is basically irrelevant for the most part unless you're talking about wadcutter. When the speeds pickup to mach2 or so they play a much larger role in the bullets BC. While a HP bullet isn't usually ideal IF it's of good quality it shouldn't hinder the performance.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    So the hollow point itself, is basically used as a method of expansion for the bullet rather than a means to get it there? Thus, that's why a wad cutter is such a great performing pellet! Think I got it now Chris! And I'm quite sure that at that weight it would be traveling at well under 800 fps.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Was going to post just that, at subsonic speeds you are not going to see any kind of effect on trajectory between having a boat tail or flat base either.

If anything the flat base is going to have more contact with the rifling and stabilize better.

C.Alls

Nov 9, 2013
    Was going to post just that, at subsonic speeds you are not going to see any kind of effect on trajectory between having a boat tail or flat base either.

If anything the flat base is going to have more contact with the rifling and stabilize better.

Incorrect. Two bullets of equal weight (one being boattail and one flat base) will have different ballistic coefficient with the boattail being the higher of the two when compared to a flat base. And being shot at mach 0.8-0.9 will yield the best results according to our findings when building our long range airguns last year. If they both leave the barrel at the same speed the boattail will have less drop and drift at 600 yards without a doubt.

As far as the bullet stabilizing better due to more contact with the rifling that's just silly. Unless you severely under size your bullets they will both leave the barrel with the same speed and therefore rpms. Now will it be fast enough to stabilize the boattail which needs a faster twist rate? That's where you'll have to use a stabilizing program to find out or easier yet just try it out and look for yawl or keyholing on target at longer range.

In airguns you want minimal bullet contact with the rifling due to the increased drag. Unlike powder burners our guns are limited on availability driving pressure by the valve and port sizes as well as operating pressure.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    So at this point, it's just really about trial and error unless it were up around 1400 fps to 1600 fps. And that won't happen without helium or nitrogen. Definitely not with compressed air! But let's try to get to the 600 first!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom