• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    There was one for cheap at a local store and it looked to be in very good condition so I bought it last week after reading an article about 25-06 in the latest Fur-Fish-Game mag. I found a box of Hornady Superformance ammo at a local store and put on a new Sig Sauer 4x12 scope I bought a few months ago. I took it to a range this weekend and it shoots pretty nicely.

The article says that it's a great round for long distance without the heavy recoil of the magnums. I have it zeroed at around 100 yards and the hits were pretty close. I want to go back and take my time and see how accurate it is at 100 yards then see how it shoots at 300 yards.

Will report...

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    25-06

I have been shooting a 25-06 Sako for over 30 years and have never looked back. They are incredible shooters and will take any medium size game with no problem. Enjoy and do some reloading if you really want to see what it can do.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    I won an axis 25.06 in a gun raffle. One of the most accurate guns I own.....actually my son owns it, shoulda never gave it to him! lol

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Three barrels to own for a long action Savage: .25-06, .30-06, and .35 Whalen, IMO. Put a good scope on the action, and get the trigger adjusted where you like it, and that rifle with those three barrels will do just about anything you could ever ask of a rifle. Savage knew what they were doing with the barrel nut and bolt floating head.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I found a place with boxes of Hornady Superformance ammo so I bought 2 today. It was too windy today so I'll take the rifle back tomorrow and do some more testing.

I also ordered a box of Hornady FTX bullets from Brownells and they came today from FEDEX. I'll reload some rounds later this week and try them out.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have it almost zeroed at 200 yards now. The ammo I picked up was the Hornady American Whitetail brand which is a little less hot than the Superformance brand. Next I'll try it at 250 and 300 yards.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    I am very fond of the quarter bores. Own 25-20, 256 win mag., 25/45 sharps, 25-35 Winchester, 250-3000 Savage, 257 Roberts and the 25-06. The 25-06 is one of the best calibers out there.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'll load some rounds tonight with the Hornady FTX bullets and see how they compare to the factory ammo.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I was able to zero the rifle in at 250 yards with the Hornady American Whitetail ammo. I can almost hit the bulls-eye with it! It's amazing how flat shooting the rifle and ammo shoots!

I didn't get to the range in time to try it at 300 yards which is my goal for this rifle. I want to use it for Pronghorn antelope hunting in western Nebraska (or wherever I can get a tag) in the next few years. I think the shots will be 300 yards or better.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I was able to zero the rifle in at 250 yards with the Hornady American Whitetail ammo. I can almost hit the bulls-eye with it! It's amazing how flat shooting the rifle and ammo shoots!

I didn't get to the range in time to try it at 300 yards which is my goal for this rifle. I want to use it for Pronghorn antelope hunting in western Nebraska (or wherever I can get a tag) in the next few years. I think the shots will be 300 yards or better.

Try Wyoming. Speed goats are everywhere and getting within 100 yards is not that difficult. Some of the herds in Colorado are just about domesticated. I don't think there was a time I didn't see 20+ on the entrance road to the Colorado Springs airport terminal. Most people in Colorado would just shoot Prairie Dogs or Coyotes at distance to improve their distance shooting. No season, no limit. You just need the land owners permission which wasn't difficult to obtain. Red misting yotes and dogs.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Try Wyoming. Speed goats are everywhere and getting within 100 yards is not that difficult. Some of the herds in Colorado are just about domesticated. I don't think there was a time I didn't see 20+ on the entrance road to the Colorado Springs airport terminal. Most people in Colorado would just shoot Prairie Dogs or Coyotes at distance to improve their distance shooting. No season, no limit. You just need the land owners permission which wasn't difficult to obtain. Red misting yotes and dogs.

I was looking for a job in Denver and used to watch the prairie dog towns right next to the highways just out of town. I used to stay at the Air Force base housing since I was still in the NG at the time. I stayed in Colo. Springs a few times too.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I wasn't able to get a good zero at 300 yards with the Hornady American Whitetail ammo but I'm close. Probably due to my own limitations.

I want to make up some handloads using the 110 grain Hornady FTX bullets I have. Does anyone know the official Hornady recipes for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom