• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I've found that shooting shotgun clays that have been set on the ground is fun and challenging it has a flaw. The flaw is sometimes the bullet just POKES thru instead of causing it to shatter. The shooter ends up putting several rounds in it and it never "shatters". Those repeat hits ended up costing points in the scoring process because it was a "missed shot". It was okay if we went to go look at them and CLEARLY saw 2 holes but if it has 1 hole THEN fractures. we could only count it as 1 hit and 1 miss.

The plan THIS year.. is to get a piece of 2x4 and cut it into 5" slabs. Cut/mill holes in the wood to form a cup in each piece. Line this cup lightly with some thing soft but not bulky (t-shirt cloth perhaps). Finally put eggs on there! You end up with a piece of 2x4, lined with padding topped with an egg. They are all separate from each other so a hit from one can't cause the others to fall and fracture/break.

Shots will be recorded using a slow motion video hooked up to a spotting scope. This way we will know if you hit the target or hit the wood and caused it to fall/break. To be analyzed after the set.

Challenge: Hit your 5 eggs at 520 yards. Fastest time wins, misses count as 15 second penalty. Max of 10 rounds.

Now.. I need to find/make/order a trophy for the winner!

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014

I've seen those and while I haven't tried them I don't think they will fit the bill. The reason is that "a lot" of the shots only poke holes in them. Realistically we're probably only talking about 10% of the shots. I failed to keep track last year.

This issue was with various calibers too, mostly 223 or even 6.5 Creedmoor. Even as close as 250 yards!

I'm not expecting more than a dozen participants. I also don't anticipate those dozen people to hit all of their eggs. The eggs will be placed in an open field and will make some scavenger very happy that afternoon/evening. I'm not worried about the mess/smell.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    alternatively, we could also just post 5 clays up there. you get 5 shots and we record the time. if there is any question about a hit/miss we can go look @ them close up. that's still sub moa shooting but not as hard as an egg at that distance.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    How about putting the eggs on a golf tee that's stuck in a piece of conduit or rod? Also how do I score an invite to the egg shoot 2021? I'd take a day off work for that

Edit: Easter eggs filled with chalk powder for a chalk line would work but not biodegradable. Or fill with tannerite, except MD sucks.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    How about putting the eggs on a golf tee that's stuck in a piece of conduit or rod? Also how do I score an invite to the egg shoot 2021? I'd take a day off work for that

Edit: Easter eggs filled with chalk powder for a chalk line would work but not biodegradable. Or fill with tannerite, except MD sucks.

Ya. A couple of years ago we used balloons filled w/ colored chalk powder. The bonus there was the balloon would also serve as a wind vain/flag down range hahaha.

i LOVE the idea of a golf tee. I don't have any to try to balance an egg on though. The wind at the intended spot is normally only about 2-10 mph. I'm not sure what it would take to balance an egg on end long enough to enough shots off at it. we could also GLUE the egg too the golf tee... HAHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom