• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Woo Hoo, got my Approval in the mail yesterday, used it for the first time today (Thanks Corsica Coatings) so I could get my Kimber a week or so sooner than expected!!!

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    The thing I found strange about it is that the approval letter contains no ID or reference number of any kind. I figured I would get some sort of "Designated Collector ID" to put on any future regulated firearms applications, but there's nothing at all on there. Just says you've "been approved". I guess they keep it on file somewhere and when you check the collector box at the top they look up your name or something in a database. Just seemed very informal. Oh well, I won't argue with them, that's for sure.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    The thing I found strange about it is that the approval letter contains no ID or reference number of any kind. I figured I would get some sort of "Designated Collector ID" to put on any future regulated firearms applications, but there's nothing at all on there. Just says you've "been approved". I guess they keep it on file somewhere and when you check the collector box at the top they look up your name or something in a database. Just seemed very informal. Oh well, I won't argue with them, that's for sure.

I had thought the same thing. I was kinda disappointed in the letter. Guess I was looking for a framed certificate or something. It has served it's purpose.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Hi all,
    Mailed my notarized 'Collector Application & Affidavit' to Pikesville on 3/10/08. Before I mailed it I called them to verify the exact address (& they confirmed what's been posted on the forum recently).

Wondering what the turn around time is running these days if anyone has an update on that?

Since it's been 4 weeks and no reply - and knowing how "efficient & expeditious" they are from everyone's posts on the forum - after 4 weeks I figure it may be time to start asking if they in fact received the form?

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    FYI

For those of you who want to get collectors designation, you can download the app from www.mdsp.org . You will find that it is usually faster to fax in the app rather than mailing it. MD State Police Licensing Division's fax # is
    410/486-6360.:thumbsup:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Hi all,
    Mailed my notarized 'Collector Application & Affidavit' to Pikesville on 3/10/08. Before I mailed it I called them to verify the exact address (& they confirmed what's been posted on the forum recently).

Wondering what the turn around time is running these days if anyone has an update on that?

Since it's been 4 weeks and no reply - and knowing how "efficient & expeditious" they are from everyone's posts on the forum - after 4 weeks I figure it may be time to start asking if they in fact received the form?

Took a little over 3 weeks for me. Still waiting on the C&R that I mailed at the same time.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Hi all,

Here's the answer to my own question for everyone's info:

I Called MSP today at the Pikesville Firearms Registration number: 410-653-4500. They looked up my SSN and I'm on the Designated Collector list, no issues with me now checking N/A on Question 15 on the wonderful and exciting 'puchase' paperwork.

The Sgt. I spoke with told me it's taking them up to 60 days to get letters out on "collector" applications. Mayby they're too busy processing all the paperwork on all the things we're buying? And, maybe the 'buying' is good for the economy? And so it goes...

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    And, at about 30 days since I mailed it, I did finally receive my "Collector" approval letter today...TYVM.

Our MSP's effenciency is amazing: I also received a second envelope addressed to another individual's name with my address (likely another 'approval' letter).

I called the Pikesville office and told them I'd send the letter back since whoever it belongs to would probably like to have it. They told me to send it to the attention of 'Janis Nelson' at the standard address. Apparently she is currently the person who hand addresses and sends out the letters.

It's always interesting to watch our 'tax dollars' at work!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    And, at about 30 days since I mailed it, I did finally receive my "Collector" approval letter today...TYVM.

Our MSP's effenciency is amazing: I also received a second envelope addressed to another individual's name with my address (likely another 'approval' letter).

I called the Pikesville office and told them I'd send the letter back since whoever it belongs to would probably like to have it. They told me to send it to the attention of 'Janis Nelson' at the standard address. Apparently she is currently the person who hand addresses and sends out the letters.

Can't really blame them right now. They are probably getting swamped with requests and O'Malley probably cut their office budget to pay in part for his Baltimore City school problems he left behind as mayor.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County

And with O'Mouthy it only costs a little more! :mad54:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Can't really blame them right now. They are probably getting swamped with requests and O'Malley probably cut their office budget to pay in part for his Baltimore City school problems he left behind as mayor.

Ya think???

No doubt they're swamped and underpaid 'admins' too boot.
    But I did hear our amazing gov is making an "entrance" tomorrow on his 'decision' to .... up western MD:
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-turbines0409,0,5160089.story

I have a house and serious interest in what goes on our western mountains. Monroe Run Overlook is about 3 miles from my newly discovered and very nice shooting range. Just what we need...screw it up and build wind turbines!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom