• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What state's permit will you use to carry in MD under National Reciprocity?

• Out of state non resident permit (Utah, Florida, ect)

Votes: 224 65.1%
    • Out of state resident permit (you don't live in MD)

Votes: 25 7.3%
    • Current MD Wear and Carry permit

Votes: 27 7.8%
    • MD permit if it were shall issue, cost less than $100, 16 hours training, no restrictions, and no G&

Votes: 52 15.1%
    • LEOSA exempt

Votes: 6 1.7%
    • You're going to stamp your feet until MD is constitutional carry

Votes: 10 2.9%

• Total voters

abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    Most out of state permits have provisions in them that require you to have one in your home state if it is recognized including the Utah permit. So everyone who has a Utah permit losses them shortly after the reciprocal bill passes. It would make people like me who live outside of MD being able to carry in MD but it will hurt many MD gun owners at least a first. Now I could see what happen in Ohio happening in MD. The courts in Ohio allowed open carry and after a few days of open carry the state decided they would prefer not seeing them. So they passed a conceal carry shortly after open carry was made legal.

I don't think that's clear. It may be the case that once national reciprocity is passed, a MD resident who wants to apply for (or possibly renew) a Utah non-res CCW would have to provide a copy of a MD wear-and-carry permit, but that's completely different from invalidating permits already issued.

Do you have an actual source for the statement in bold?

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't think that's clear. It may be the case that once national reciprocity is passed, a MD resident who wants to apply for (or possibly renew) a Utah non-res CCW would have to provide a copy of a MD wear-and-carry permit, but that's completely different from invalidating permits already issued.

Do you have an actual source for the statement in bold?
    The provision you speak of is a state law. National reciprocity is federal. Does that really mean that MD actually has direct reciprocity just because they have to follow federal law. Good question.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If it does, simply get a permit from a state that does not require it.

VA, CT, ME, FL, AZ, NV, NH and TX have no such requirement and issue NR permits.

ETA_IANAL, but I don't think a Federal statute requiring a state to recognize another state's permit could be construed to be reciprocity. MD is specifically listed a s a state that does not recognize the UT permit.

https://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/reciprocity-with-other-states/

Attachments

• ut1.jpg
      ut1.jpg
      16.7 KB · Views: 254
    • ut2.JPG
      ut2.JPG
      53.8 KB · Views: 253
    Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD may be forced into accepting your UT permit, but I do not ever see MD recognizing any states' permit officially, other than the state law or COMAR possible being amended to say any state's permit is valid in MD. Or an AG opinion.

It's not in MD's MGA DNA to change their views on CCW permits, other than begrudgingly allowing them for carry. Just my thoughts.

The UT language is specific about the need for a home state permit before applying. Does MDs acceptance of any permit under National Reciprocity constitute recognition? If it does, get another NR permit. problem solved.

But that's just my uneducated opinion.

YMMV.

Attachments

• ut4.jpg
      ut4.jpg
      65.2 KB · Views: 261

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    MD may be forced into accepting your UT permit, but I do not ever see MD recognizing any states' permit officially, other than the state law or COMAR possible being amended to say any state's permit is valid in MD. Or an AG opinion.

It's not in MD's MGA DNA to change their views on CCW permits, other than begrudgingly allowing them for carry. Just my thoughts.

The UT language is specific about the need for a home state permit before applying. Does MDs acceptance of any permit under National Reciprocity constitute recognition? If it does, get another NR permit. problem solved.

But that's just my uneducated opinion.

YMMV.
    That is why I question that Utah may cut us off. Their law states that the other state (MD) must have resiprocity with them. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Actually it states recognition, or has reciprocity. Of course MD has neither. A change in the statute or COMAR simply saying MD accepts any permit might not be construed as reciprocity or recognition by UT.

Guess we'll see.

Worst nightmare

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 18, 2017
    I have a UT and it seems to me that they are quite up to speed on what's going on in these blue states and are willing to be flexible so that people can actually utilize the 2nd A.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a UT and it seems to me that they are quite up to speed on what's going on in these blue states and are willing to be flexible so that people can actually utilize the 2nd A.

The question is whether UT will define MD "recognition" if MD is compelled to honor all other states 'permits via national reciprocity, thus requiring a MD W&C permit before UT would issue a NR permit. Don't see it happening but IANAL. I have more than enough permits to not be concerned about it.

YMMV

abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    The question is whether UT will define MD "recognition" if MD is compelled to honor all other states 'permits via national reciprocity, thus requiring a MD W&C permit before UT would issue a NR permit. Don't see it happening but IANAL. I have more than enough permits to not be concerned about it.

YMMV

Exactly. The question is how national reciprocity impacts Utah's interpretation of its "recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah" language. I don't see MD changing its laws to explicitly recognize other states, but if national reciprocity happens, they won't have to because, you know, Supremacy Clause.

Many of us added Utah non-res to our HQL course for an additional fee, as the two are often bundled, so it would be frustrating if we had to get yet another permit when the time comes.

General Disclaimer: IAAL, but not yours. If you think this post constitutes legal advice, get your head checked.

Jano

Jul 11, 2016
    getting a utah permit living in md will never help bc md will never honor any state + you have to be approved in md before any non-res permit will work. Md never approves and even if they do it will have restrictions so for a reg civilian its impossible.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    getting a utah permit living in md will never help bc md will never honor any state + you have to be approved in md before any non-res permit will work. Md never approves and even if they do it will have restrictions so for a reg civilian its impossible.

migraine.jpg

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County

I am so glad that this is the first post showing up in my email today. It really started off my Sunday with a giggle. :rofl:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• face palm Hogans heroes.jpg
      face palm Hogans heroes.jpg
      31.4 KB · Views: 150
    • face palm statue.jpg
      face palm statue.jpg
      17.4 KB · Views: 149
    • facepalm monkey.jpg
      facepalm monkey.jpg
      7.1 KB · Views: 148
    • godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg
      godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 135

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom