• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    Steyr40, your doing a good service to point this out.

I think one way to check for ourselves is that once you are not dissapproved by MSP, if you log in, you will see an expiration date in the right column. You will also see the resend email button.
    Neither exist if all the actions were done. If you click the Print application button, you will see in the application the part where you digitally signed the receipt of the firearm (they actually do the clicking though I recall). "Sign upon Transfer of firearm". That date is the date you received it. If that is not completed, then the dealer did not finish the transfer. On future transactions, I plan to see if I can view on my phone before I leave the shop as a double check. Last year and before this online system, you got a copy of your transfer pages to take home. I can see where they are asking you to bring it in, because part of the process of the FFL is to verify Sn to finish the transfer. They did not finish it properly and needed to do so.
    I appreciate that.

Here is what I found: When you log in to the MSP Licensing page, it takes you to the "Welcome" page. There are three tabs under the "Start 77R Application" button (Applications, Messages, and Account). If you select the Messages tab, it shows the date and time of all the steps that have been completed, including the "Weapon transfer has been completed" message.

I think it's a good idea to log in before leaving the store to see if that part has been updated in the MSP system. I know that's what I'll be doing from now on. I'd hate for system lag to be the reason I'm detained/arrested, especially without the presence of hard copy transfer paperwork.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    So what happens if you don't get your not disapproved email within seven days? Can you pick up your gun?
    That's a good question! I wonder if the new system allows for the transfer portion to be completed without the Not Dissaproved notice yet received? That could create a big mess when it comes to 8th day release.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'd have been tempted to contact them back to let them know they should either rewrite their SOP's or be more careful about sending out Not Disapproved dispositions when all the paperwork isn't done correctly. Have a nice day, and call my lawyer if you want to contact me further about this matter. This was their dropping of the ball if they approved a transfer without everything being correct. If someone set up the system so a transfer could be approved and completed before all critical paperwork was completed then that's also their responsibility. Not the citizen's responsibility to go back to the FFL with the gun and get it fixed. Just my opinions.

The Not Disapproved says you are clear to pick up the firearm.

THIS occurred afterwards, during the pick up.

Bottom line, if the FFL does not ask for you PIN when you pick up the firearm, they have not completed the transfer.

I do not see why you need to go back to the FFL, just call them with your PIN and they can do their part.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I just got my Not Disapproved email from MSP. This is my first purchase post 1/1/2017, so I haven't gotten any emails prior to today regarding a pick-up. I just wanted you all to know that this email does indicate that I need to provide my Application Number and PIN for pickup. So, at least the public is being informed that they will need to do this, as of 2/15/2017. ETA: I did the purchase paperwork on 2/8/2017.

Dear vette97,

Congratulations. Your application, 20170000XX, to purchase a regulated firearm from Mr. FFL has been Not Disapproved by the Maryland State Police. You may return to the selected firearm dealer to arrange pickup/transfer of your item during the dealer's regular business hours.

When you return to your selected firearm dealer to pick up your item, you will need the application PIN in order to complete the weapon transfer. The PIN for application 20170000XX is: YYYY.

If you have already taken possession of the firearm in question, or you believe you are receiving this email in error, please notify the Maryland State Police Licensing Division immediately at: 410-653-4500.

Thank you,
    The Maryland State Police,
    Licensing Division
    410-653-4500

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    A little off topic, but does anyone know if MSP tracks Designated Collector Status? I can't find my damn letter after I moved.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Mr. FFL took my application number and PIN, completed the online form and I got my nee hun. My latest online 77R Status Update 02/15/2017 04:32PM
    Weapon transfer has been completed.

Huge grins :D

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    DC Letter

A little off topic, but does anyone know if MSP tracks Designated Collector Status? I can't find my damn letter after I moved.

I just got mine in the mail today. I'm going to scan it and email it to myself. Then I'll make several copies and keep them in my file cabinet, with one in the safe. You never know when the rules may change. It might be overkill, but as they say, "Better to have it and not need it..."

Good luck finding yours.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If they start requiring it, they will need to start sending out replacements.

So not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom