• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    I'm using a carbine buffer (2.95 oz.). I agree with you about the multitude of potential problems. As an analyst, I've always practiced eliminating the easiest potential causes first when there is no obvious primary cause. The BCG is a brand new MPI that functions perfectly with higher pressure 62 grain 5.56x45 rounds. I'm reluctant to just swap out the BCG because a new one could have the same problem. The problem only occurs when I use .223 Remington. I've already tried several brands of quality 223 in 55 grain. That doesn't impact performance, they all fail. The magazines are brand new HexMags that work flawlessly.
    Magtec makes a 62 grain 5.56x45 without a steel core that is affordable, so I'm not dead in the water. It's just that 55 grain .223 is easier to find, and typically more affordable. I'm also thinking if trying to load up some hot loads in .223 to see how that works.
    Having never owned a brand new AR before, I can't help but wonder if this might also be a break in issue. I have 500 rounds of 62 grain 5.56x45 that will cycle just fine. I'm content with shooting those exclusively this summer and trying the .223 again in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100% with your strategy on simplest first. experimenting with buffers would be a good option.

You mentioned that your gun is a pistol, what barrel/gas length?

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    you can still "fix" the problem though.

We had some factory 7.5" "Carbon 16's" that were quite the "treat".

a lot of noise and a big fireball but not much in the way of performance though (but great for clearing rooms).

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    you can still "fix" the problem though.

We had some factory 7.5" "Carbon 16's" that were quite the "treat".

a lot of noise and a big fireball but not much in the way of performance though (but great for clearing rooms).

I've run about 200 rounds through it so far. I haven't noticed the fireball everyone warned me about and I hold it very close. The bang is pretty significant. It is actually quite accurate for its intended use. Using a holographic sight, I had 50/50 in the X and 10 ring on a B-27 last night at 15 yards. My goal is to be able to make that grouping with a fairly high rate of fire at 25 yards.

I'm going to try an H-2 buffer. It's a cheap and easy step. Plus, it is cheaper than buying various weights. I can use the weights from that and my buffer to try everything from a carbine buffer to an H-2.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Problem solved. The H-2 buffer didn't work. In the last two weeks, two different guys leant me their BCGs and the gun worked flawlessly. The thing that both BCGs have in common is that they were M16 Auto BCGs. I picked one up in Nickel-Boron. I went to the range tonight and ran 50, 55, and 62 grain through it with 100% success. From a standing position, at 25 yards, everything is in the 9, 10, and X rings with rapid fire. Mission accomplished. Thanks to everyone that offered advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom