• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I dont own one yet, but I have handled and fired the Bersa 380. It isnt bad. It isnt great. It IS good. Functions 100% if maintained properly and used by an experienced shooter. Like all blowback semi-auto designs, proper grip is very important and weak grip (limpwristing) will cause a jam (FTE/stovepipe). If money isnt an issue, the Beretta Cheetah is smoother and more polished and seems to have been what the Thunder was modeled after. I plan to pick up a Bersa Thunder 380 as a trainer for students who want to step up from 22lr into a service caliber. However, once I get my W&C, I will likely pick up a Beretta Cheetah for cold weather carry.

A good Beretta for warm weather carry is the Pico. That's what I use.
    871981e78e00c285ef6ca6c2004dd11c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    As we know, different guns serve different purposes. The challenge is choosing the right gun for the purpose. My target audience for recommending the Bersa is the newer shooter that is looking to develop a solid set of skills at the range to be able to defend. The blow-back design of the Bersa is as actually advantageous for that because, as you point out, if they limp wrist it, they will experience a failure. At the sub $300 price point, they will be able to afford a gun that is better suited for defensive situations.

I'm just highly against blow back designs for defensive use because a gunfight generally isn't you two handed shooting at a person. It's usually you one handed running like a huge vagina shooting. I've never discharged my gun a gun at someone but I know when that massive pit bull was charging me and I hip fired 3 shoots, back peddling, and falling over, I'm 100 % positive a blowback would have jammed.

wdc5008

Nov 7, 2015
    Frederick County
    I have a standard Bersa thunder in 380 and 22. Both shoot great. No issues with either. Awesome firearm for the money. I don't know anything about the combat models.
    I did lose the rear blade on the 380. One call to Bersa and I had a new one in a few days, free of charge.

Had the same thing happen to me the first time I shot mine. Flew off into the field we were shooting in. Bernard took care of me though. Other than that no complaints about my thunder 380.

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Maybe it's just me, but amongst my collection I have 3 Bersas; a Firestorm 9mm and 2 Thunder .380s. I like them. All are accurate, good quality and fun to shoot. I have had 0 problems with any of them. They are very easy to handle. My wife and daughter in law have fired them and like 'em enough to want one too. I think Bersa gets a bad rap simply because it's so reasonably priced that people believe it can't be good.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Maybe it's just me, but amongst my collection I have 3 Bersas; a Firestorm 9mm and 2 Thunder .380s. I like them. All are accurate, good quality and fun to shoot. I have had 0 problems with any of them. They are very easy to handle. My wife and daughter in law have fired them and like 'em enough to want one too. I think Bersa gets a bad rap simply because it's so reasonably priced that people believe it can't be good.

People do the same thing to Hi-Points. Their carbines are great and their C-9 is a fun pistol to shoot. Are they heavy and clunky? Sure. Are they the easiest things to clean? No. Is their warranty top notch? Absolutely. People can't get over the fact that you can get a well supported, reliable 9mm for under $200.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Each of MPDC4511's subpoints is correct, and I respect his experience(s). But I don't go as far as he does on his conclusion.

Microsized blowbacks can be finicky. "Old School Pocket Pistol " sized one of decent design much less so. And the Bersa's are enough of a copy of the Beretta Chetah family, the basic proportions are good.

Yeah, blowbacks are sensitive to limp wrists and weak grasps. All semiauto's are sensitive to those to varying degree. Be aware, throughly test any pistol before piting into duty for social purposes. But I won't make a blanket condemation of blowbacks.

And I'm a notorous .380 hater .

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Each of MPDC4511's subpoints is correct, and I respect his experience(s). But I don't go as far as he does on his conclusion.

Microsized blowbacks can be finicky. "Old School Pocket Pistol " sized one of decent design much less so. And the Bersa's are enough of a copy of the Beretta Chetah family, the basic proportions are good.

Yeah, blowbacks are sensitive to limp wrists and weak grasps. All semiauto's are sensitive to those to varying degree. Be aware, throughly test any pistol before piting into duty for social purposes. But I won't make a blanket condemation of blowbacks.

And I'm a notorous .380 hater .

I think that's a very fair statement.

If the susceptibility of a firearm to limp wristed FTEs was the main factor in choosing a design, then revolvers would be the only choice for self defense. When I consult with potential buyers, I do present revolvers as an alternative because there is so little to go wrong, but they aren't right for everyone.

The bottom line is that every firearm has strengths and weaknesses. It's a matter of adding up each person's characteristics to determine what is the best solution. If in doubt, a shotgun always works.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you really are concerned about odd positions, and limp wrists, go wheelgun. I haven't used one, but multiple MDS'ers have favorably reported their Armscor Det Spl clones in the budget price range.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    People do the same thing to Hi-Points. Their carbines are great and their C-9 is a fun pistol to shoot. Are they heavy and clunky? Sure. Are they the easiest things to clean? No. Is their warranty top notch? Absolutely. People can't get over the fact that you can get a well supported, reliable 9mm for under $200.

I would just offer one dissenting point. Hi-Points definitely have a hump people need to overcome in their ugliness. Bersas, at least to my eye, are pretty pleasing. But I have to agree on the warranty. Lifetime for the original buyer is sweet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm pretty sure the "this gun" is refering back to the Bersa that was original topic of discussion, and he simply was careless with his antecedents.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Well, I picked up the Bersa today. My wife is able to rack it, a definite plus. Thanks to my friends at Tyler Firearms for another great purchasing experience.
    df714d02dede60c50df5eac1c0155ea1.jpg

cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009

The Thunder is reliable and easy to shoot. Good value. Safety allows you to chamber a round with the safety on. From there you unlock safety and shoot the first round double action. Gun will not fire with magazine inserted. I would carry one if I could get a permit, which is impossible in Maryland.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I'm very happy with mine. I got a great IWB holster on Etsy from a vendor called JustHolsterIt so when I'm outside of the People's Republic of Maryland, I can carry it. It is carbon fiber and Kydex. I couldn't be happier with it.
    8c7ddc6029c51bc8ae67fe53ea9cf892.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom